Search

Short haul catering guide

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by sts603
What is a winter style customer?
Or a holiday centric style one ?

It's this kind of stereotyping by BA that drives me potty. All passengers should be treated and served in the same way, whether (self) 'important' business passengers or leisure ones.

Just because you're on business doesn't mean you want a meal and won't get drunk; and just because you're flying for leisure doesn't mean you're happy to skip the food and just get bladdered....
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Due to the demise of Cypres Airways and so also their catering company, all flights to LCA are now round catered.

Therefore due to lack of space because of the round catering, the product offered is a box with roll, wrap, Lilly Obrien chocolate pot and cheese and biscuits.

I think some regular winter style customers were upset about this but I must say on my flight recently with a more holiday centric style of customer, we had no complaints and people liked the box.

On most of the new style holiday island destinations the product is also a box but on the majority of Band 4 flights at LHR where it is possible, the hot meal is still part of the service.
I think I need to stop answering EF questions, I got the last two wrong.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Originally Posted by bafan

It's this kind of stereotyping by BA that drives me potty. All passengers should be treated and served in the same way, whether (self) 'important' business passengers or leisure ones.

Just because you're on business doesn't mean you want a meal and won't get drunk; and just because you're flying for leisure doesn't mean you're happy to skip the food and just get bladdered....

I think it is perfectly clear what Littlegirl was saying.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Due to the demise of Cypres Airways and so also their catering company, all flights to LCA are now round catered.

Therefore due to lack of space because of the round catering, the product offered is a box with roll, wrap, Lilly Obrien chocolate pot and cheese and biscuits.

I think some regular winter style customers were upset about this but I must say on my flight recently with a more holiday centric style of customer, we had no complaints and people liked the box.

On most of the new style holiday island destinations the product is also a box but on the majority of Band 4 flights at LHR where it is possible, the hot meal is still part of the service.
Having done this journey 10 times a year for the last 10 years I can say hand on heart the journey is now soul destroying.

The one exception is CE on the 767 from LHR which is still ok.

The rest - cold snack, no legroom, no IFE - if I could walk that far I would.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

That part I bolded makes no sense. You want everyone served the same but it's a fact that different target demographics have different requirements.

It's entirely reasonable, when looking at a multi-billion pound business that flies millions of people a year, to put labels on types of customers. Every business does it.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards

Does anyone know what the meal is like from Paphos to Gatwick? This is a late departure after 9pm. I was expecting something hot like on Athens flights, but didn't realise that Gatwick flights were treated different in the first place. (Using Easyjet from Gatwick to Paphos as no BA flights that day and no option to travel on others days! )
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by dddc
Does anyone know what the meal is like from Paphos to Gatwick? This is a late departure after 9pm. I was expecting something hot like on Athens flights, but didn't realise that Gatwick flights were treated different in the first place. (Using Easyjet from Gatwick to Paphos as no BA flights that day and no option to travel on others days! )
Just as Littlegirl describes in the bit that you quote!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways

It is not BA terminology and not BA stereotyping. The reason for the difference is twofold, some of the Holiday Island just don't have any caterers and the LCA caterer we did use went out of business.

I was just explaining that the holiday makers on my flight did not moan at all.

Obviously Bwaflyer has had complaints.

It is just a fact that on this route in winter, the customers are not typical holiday makers and fly the route more regularily and so as a result, notice the difference between the offering. On my flight recently, it was predominantly people on holiday who did not seem to mind the box.

You must all stop trying to read stuff into what I say when I am answering a question that someone asked.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I think I need to stop answering EF questions, I got the last two wrong.
You were just unlucky because both of your answers used to be correct!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:28 pm

The 'demise' of Cyprus Airways does not explain why no hot meals are served in Economy between LGW and Cyprus eirher. Or LHR and Cyprus. Or LHR and Corfu. BA is gradually eliminating hot meals in Economy to Band 4 destinations and is couching this fact in a customary bedding of obscurantism and misinformation.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Jonathan1974
The 'demise' of Cyprus Airways does not explain why no hot meals are served in Economy between LGW and Cyprus eirher. Or LHR and Cyprus. Or LHR and Corfu. BA is gradually eliminating hot meals in Economy to Band 4 destinations and is couching this fact in a customary bedding of obscurantism and misinformation.
Well in the case of LHR-Cyprus it does, to an extent. Cyprus Airways operated its own airline catering division, and BA contracted them to provide the food for the return flights from LCA. There isn't any other caterer on the island equipped to produce airline meals, and presumably BA on its own doesn't provide enough business to encourage anyone to start a new airline kitchen, possibly by buying the disused CY facilities.
However there are other ways of shipping catering supplies for the return trip than just carts in the galley loaded at LHR or LGW, but BA seems unwilling to consider them.
I'd also like to know how Aegean provide actual meals in Y on their LCA - LHR flights - possibly the plane does an ATH-LCA rotation immediately before.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:27 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
I understand that a wrap and a chocolate pot might just about be ok during the summer, but can also understand why I would think it a poor offering during the winter.
I don't understand why BA don't put extra catering in the hold like other airlines.
Considering you can be onboard almost 6 hours from boarding to de planing, that's pretty miserable!
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:32 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
If there was a will, a solution could undoubtably be found if other airlines can do it.

The fact that one hasn't suggests that the main issue is that the will simply isn't there.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:49 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by V10
If there was a will, a solution could undoubtably be found if other airlines can do it.

The fact that one hasn't suggests that the main issue is that the will simply isn't there.
Like getting rid of the duty free cart to make room for the return sector's food?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
A3 are now operating a range of services from LCA, they can't be lifting the catering in ATH for all of them as the aircraft don't necessarily return there between rotations.

I've started using TK in C to Cyprus, OK the Greeks don't like it but the service LHR (or for that matter LGW, BHX or EDI) to IST offers proper C seats including long haul product on some services from LHR, transit is quick, sometimes only sixty minutes and then there is a second meal service on the way to ECN. I've now done it over a dozen times and wouldn't revert to the BA service for anything, it's just not in the same league.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.