Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of Iris? [effective 17 September 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:35 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by ta10
So.. anyone know what the IRIS and post IRIS plan is exactly?

Spoke to the guys at Enrolment recently..they mentioned it could around till the end of the year. Fact or fiction?
In view of the Government spending cuts I think that it is v unlikely that we will see big money spent on replacing a system that works the majority of the time.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I hope it stays around until around October next year, as my passport (complete with laminated-in photo) is valid until Apr 13.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: ABBA
T3, Wednesday morning. Massive queue for manual barriers, not a single person in the Iris lane or booth, both booths were working, wonderful system.

I've tried the e-passport at heathrow twice, and it's failed twice. Slower too, and requires an attendent. I used it at Lisbon in May and it did work.

The nice thing about iris is the people that use it know exactly how to use it, and it runs fine on it's own. If they hid it behind the e-passport, so you had to know it's there to use it, you'd avoid the problem with non-registered people.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:23 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by paulwuk
The nice thing about iris is the people that use it know exactly how to use it, and it runs fine on it's own.
This isn't always true!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Private Pyle
This isn't always true!
That is definitely not always true - I have spent many a time waiting in line while someone spends 3 attempts trying to get through the machine, normally looking into the wrong mirror and then complaining loudly that the machine "must be broken".

The worst one is the people who aren't even registered but still try to use it...
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
I used IRIS at T3 on Tuesday morning and was 3rd in the queue behind two others who were completely incapable of using tit. The first eventually gave up and was seen by the BIA person adjacent to the machines. The second eventually got it on the 3rd go.

As only one machine was working I had to wait, all the while eyeing out the queue for the regular desks and wondering if that would have been quicker. Pleased that both were working on Wednesday which would indicate the whatever the problem it was a quick fix, some sort of reboot I guess.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
Originally Posted by stifle
I hope it stays around until around October next year, as my passport (complete with laminated-in photo) is valid until Apr 13.
Why October when your Passport is valid until April?

Fun fact: The passport I registered with was valid until some time in 2010 and I can still use the IRIS barriers.... Maybe it's got something to do with being EU National with a residence in England, either way, I'm not complaining.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by raph
Why October when your Passport is valid until April?
Because several countries which I am in the habit of visiting require six months' remaining validity on your passport. I know many don't.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:04 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Yesterday I flew TXL - LHR with BD. (note to who may read - I have been much impressed with the sheer pleasantness of flying with them - they always used to be the Friendly Independent and still are.)

IRIS working perfectly - bussed from domestic stand to Immigration (nice to know that this is not just confined to BA). There was no queue - we were in and gone in less than a minute all three of us.

I know what is disconcerting - the picture for your to match your eyes takes moment to come on and you cannot see what you are supposed to be matching.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I know what is disconcerting - the picture for your to match your eyes takes moment to come on and you cannot see what you are supposed to be matching.
At first, I tried to match both eyes and kept getting the move left/right/back/etc messages.

I find that now I just concentrate on matching one eye, the click and opening door are much quicker.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Roger
I find that now I just concentrate on matching one eye, the click and opening door are much quicker.
The tip I read on here once was to match one eye and move your head back until it matches both.

I had a problem at T1 recently where the doors wouldn't open for me to enter the booth. I let the person behind me go first, and it worked for him. Someone further back in the queue suggested it could be because I'm quite short (5'6") and I should try jumping up and down. This worked, to much laughter from the rest of the queue! Not terribly dignified, though.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:50 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Roger
At first, I tried to match both eyes and kept getting the move left/right/back/etc messages.

I do dislike the bored tone with she says "Thank You"
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I do dislike the bored tone with she says "Thank You"
I always thought it would be quite entertaining to have a selection of regional accents. You could have:

"Thank yuyy"
"Terrarabit!"
"Keep ahad"

etc.

We should celebrate our regional accents.

Or maybe she's bored from watching all the unregistered demented pigeons that attempt to get through...
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:19 am

So then, IRIS is here to stay?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there some new news on it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.