Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of Iris? [effective 17 September 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Hubbabridge
i have never seen anyone checking the IRIS gate, am I missing something?
I was referring to manual entry. The bio gates can be used by unregistered people, so in theory, once everyone has a bio passport, no manual gates will be required.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Roger
I think that's the case for UK (and EEA?) nationals. I believe others do have to renew.
No,
I am U.S. citizen and have been using IRIS since it first came out.

"Period of enrolment
2.1.4. Subject to the above criteria being met, and to his or her iris patterns
being successfully registered, the person will be enrolled to use the
automated barriers for an indefinite period, although the Secretary of State
reserves the right to terminate such a person's permission to use the
automated barriers. See section 3 for details of the circumstances in which the
Secretary of State may terminate a person's participation in the scheme."
Old Apr 5, 2011, 3:35 pm

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
I talk to my friend IRIS a lot. She likes me in T4 and has never had to visit the psychiatrist with a breakdown when I have been that way. T5 has been less reliable as has T3.

I have one Bio-Imperial passport and one Bio-Metric one. Keep IRIS going as I hate all this metrication.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
About the 2 year renewal...

I am a US citizen, and I've been using IRIS for 5 years. During this time I have had to renew twice. The first time I went in for renewal, the guys in the IRIS office were extremely confused. They kept telling me it automatically renews for 2 years every time I use the barrier, but I showed them my most recent receipt from the barrier showing that mine would expire in a week's time. Lots of typing on the keyboard, and a phone call before they determined it was because I had a foreign passport.

No confusion last year when I went in to renew.

So at least for some of us, there is a 2 year renewal cycle.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:55 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by OPebble
Re-registering is only needed if you haven't used IRIS for 2 years.....
As explained above, I had registered for IRIS two years ago, but was never able to use it since the lane was always closed.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 7:08 am

Programs: ABBA
T3 2xIris open Thursday morning, went straight in and was actually standing in the right place when the camera turned on! Blisteringly fast, and much speedier than my colleague, who hasn't been through since November and struggled for 30 seconds -- resorted to taking his glasses off.

Someone followed me, looked confused, and was asked if he was registered. He said no, but he had 2 metal hips and couldn't stand for long. Got processed immediately (empty crew gate I think, just to the right of iris)

Long live iris.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by paulwuk
T3 2xIris open Thursday morning, went straight in and was actually standing in the right place when the camera turned on! Blisteringly fast, ... Long live iris.
Both machines were working in T5 yesterday afternoon and I was in and out in the blink of an eye

Long live IRIS indeed.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by heartybob
Both machines were working in T5 yesterday afternoon and I was in and out in the blink of an eye
And both machines were still working yesterday evening when I arrived at T5. Although I must admit to a pang of guilt as I bypassed Iris in favour of trying the new ePassport gates for the first time. They seem to work perfectly well, but you (obviously) need to have your passport to hand.

I still think Iris is much more fun, now I have worked out how to position my head properly. I am regretting my unfaithfulness now I think about it. Sorry Iris.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Another report of IRIS in T3 operating very well on Tuesday. One person was in the machine on the left - I took the one right.

Breezed through as the queues were really starting to back up....
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by slate
And both machines were still working yesterday evening when I arrived at T5. Although I must admit to a pang of guilt as I bypassed Iris in favour of trying the new ePassport gates for the first time. They seem to work perfectly well, but you (obviously) need to have your passport to hand.

I still think Iris is much more fun, now I have worked out how to position my head properly. I am regretting my unfaithfulness now I think about it. Sorry Iris.
i came through T5 a couple of weeks ago and only one of the machines was working. it probably would have been quicker for me to go through an analog queue but i took the iris approach as i'm of the (probably mistaken) belief that the more use it gets, the likelier it will survive.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Kevincm
Another report of IRIS in T3 operating very well on Tuesday. One person was in the machine on the left - I took the one right.

Breezed through as the queues were really starting to back up....
T3 was fine on Wed evening apart from some "lady" who a) was wearing very black sun glasses and b) as it turned out hadn't registered. She was frantically hopping from one machine to the other (and being rejected) before someone losing their cool in the queue suggested that she remove her shades and "you have registered haven't you?". "Oh do you have to register?". A lynching posse was rapidly forming in the queue!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Originally Posted by OPebble
A lynching posse was rapidly forming in the queue!
Exactly why am I reminded of a scene from Airplane!?

People.. can't live with them... can't make sure they go behind you in any queue...
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:23 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by slate

Only one working in T5 on Sunday - the lines and it was far quicker to wait for a human being - well someone on the desk.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
OK, I'm suffering from a mild case of eye-strain, having re-read the entire thread again.

Where's the IRIS Registration office/whatever in T5, please?

I understand it's Air Side, but apart from that both the Border Agency and BAA websites are very secretive
Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Well, it used to be... (I haven't gone looking for it recently)

Turn left out of Security South (unless you are going to the CCR this is the only direction you can go) and then left again. Used to be adjacent to the VAT Refunds desk, on the right hand side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.