Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of Iris? [effective 17 September 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by FenLandK
Well, it used to be... (I haven't gone looking for it recently)

Turn left out of Security South (unless you are going to the CCR this is the only direction you can go) and then left again. Used to be adjacent to the VAT Refunds desk, on the right hand side.
Most kind, Sir. ^

Might as well have it as an alternative to the Uber-Chip passport - hopefully one of them will work!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 4:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Both IRIS machines working at LHR T3 this evening.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold

Turn left out of Security South (unless you are going to the CCR this is the only direction you can go) and then left again. Used to be adjacent to the VAT Refunds desk, on the right hand side.
Often not open recently, I thought I might update details but have been unsuccessful. Not that it matters because IRIS continues to recognise me almost 2 years after passport expired. Always seems to be working when I arrive; just good luck
Old Apr 9, 2011, 6:45 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
It's still there, although I didn't go to check it was open. There's a little IRIS sign on the pillar by the sign for the VAT refunds.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
It's still there, although I didn't go to check it was open. There's a little IRIS sign on the pillar by the sign for the VAT refunds.
You one good bloke, ma'ssa!

Typical of a UK Govt arrangement, though ...
"We have this neat technology-based arrangement to facilitate your progress through the Immigration System. We won't tell you where it is and it may, or may not, even be open. However, your Govt is working to make life better for everyone - including those who leak through the Immigration System."

Wakners, of all political persuasions. Their only competency seems to be their own expenses claims, or the gibberish UK Tax forms I received today. They might have been more comprehensible if written in Swahili, but I can only get the Welsh version on-line
Old Apr 9, 2011, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

I successfully renewed my registration there on a recent visit, and can therefore confirm that the above directions were correct as of two weeks ago. Be aware that the office closes for hours at a time --- but is relatively efficient if you're lucky to find it open.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 4:00 am

So when is IRIS due to end exactly? Is it likely to operate through the upcoming summer period?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
There has not been anything specific announced as of yet.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 2:45 am

IRIS expiry

Originally Posted by stoneman
I don't know where people are getting this "renew IRIS after 2 years" thing. You do not have to renew it as long as you have used it within a 2 year period. Oh and I thought we were the only ones to see people trying to use it without registering, can not some people read!
Believe me - although posted under a pseudonym, this is the definitive answer on IRIS enrolment periods for the vast majority of users.
If you are an EEA national, you are enrolled for the default period of 2 years - but every time you enter via the IRIS barrier, your enrolment is extended to a date 2 years hence. This also applies to permanent residents. If you don't use the barrier for 2 years, your enrolment is deactivated.

For most others - e.g frequent visitors, work permit holders etc. the enrolment expiry date is shown on the Registration Report that everyone gets when they enrol. The enrolment period will vary depending on nationality and immigration status.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by blackvelvet
Believe me - although posted under a pseudonym, this is the definitive answer on IRIS enrolment periods for the vast majority of users.
If you are an EEA national, you are enrolled for the default period of 2 years - but every time you enter via the IRIS barrier, your enrolment is extended to a date 2 years hence. This also applies to permanent residents. If you don't use the barrier for 2 years, your enrolment is deactivated.

For most others - e.g frequent visitors, work permit holders etc. the enrolment expiry date is shown on the Registration Report that everyone gets when they enrol. The enrolment period will vary depending on nationality and immigration status.
I or my wife were never handed any registration report.

Last edited by moneypooraviosrich; Apr 20, 2011 at 3:37 pm
Old Apr 20, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by skippythelizard
About the 2 year renewal...

I am a US citizen, and I've been using IRIS for 5 years. During this time I have had to renew twice. The first time I went in for renewal, the guys in the IRIS office were extremely confused. They kept telling me it automatically renews for 2 years every time I use the barrier, but I showed them my most recent receipt from the barrier showing that mine would expire in a week's time. Lots of typing on the keyboard, and a phone call before they determined it was because I had a foreign passport.

No confusion last year when I went in to renew.

So at least for some of us, there is a 2 year renewal cycle.
How did you know you had to renew? I have used IRIS probably 15 times in the past 4 years at different airports and never been advised to renew. I am U.S. with a "indefinite leave to enter" stamp in my passport. My wife is U.K. but because she travels the required amount of times she uses it as well. Again, never asked to renew. Maybe it is for visa holders.
Old May 20, 2011, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by blackvelvet
If you are an EEA national, you are enrolled for the default period of 2 years - but every time you enter via the IRIS barrier, your enrolment is extended to a date 2 years hence.
As I found out yesterday evening at T3 this may no longer be true - I'm a UK citizen, use IRIS regularly having enrolled some time ago (before Terminal 5 opened) and have lots of time left to run on the registered passport. Last night the IRIS machine recognised me but spat out a little note that said:

"Your iris pattern has been recognised but your permission to use the automated barrier is currently not valid. This may be because your permission to use IRIS has expired or because you have not used an automated barrier for two years or for another reason.

Please leave the IRIS barrier area and follow the signs, according to your nationality, to the appropriate area of the normal immigration control.

At the immigration control you should present yourself and your travel document to an immigration officer."

Under that it gave my enrollee number along with my name, nationality and gave an "Expiry Date" of 11/5/2013 (I last used the IRIS machine at T5 on 12/5/2011 so this would be 2 years after that point).

The machine then spat me out and I had to do the walk of shame to the main queue. Spoke to the immigration officer there and he said that he wasn't sure what had happened but he said that as they were getting rid of the IRIS machines not to worry about it and they may not be renewing registrations - he said the machines in T3 will be gone "before the summer". He did say the IRIS registration office in T3 had closed already and wasn't sure when the other terminals would close their offices but it would be soon as staff can be better used elsewhere.
Old May 20, 2011, 4:43 am

Programs: ABBA
Person ahead of me on Tuesday at T5 was also rejected from iris, talked to the guard at the fast-track non-eu and said she used it a lot and never had a problem. Was sent to the "face recognition" ones.

I went through fine, first registered (at T5) in Jan 2010.

If they're getting rid of iris, I want fast-track eu for golds!
Old May 20, 2011, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk
If they're getting rid of iris, I want fast-track eu for golds!
Then you'd better get one. Or update your profile .
Old May 20, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold
Originally Posted by SteveF
Then you'd better get one. Or update your profile .
Beat me to it Steve!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.