Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of Iris? [effective 17 September 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2011, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
I don't know where people are getting this "renew IRIS after 2 years" thing. You do not have to renew it as long as you have used it within a 2 year period. Oh and I thought we were the only ones to see people trying to use it without registering, can not some people read!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by stoneman
You do not have to renew it as long as you have used it within a 2 year period.
I think that's the case for UK (and EEA?) nationals. I believe others do have to renew.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 3:08 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Quark999
... which quite a few people from continental Europe won't have, as they use their identity cards instead.

I liked Iris...
Actually a lot of our European neighbours do have passports as well, so can (and do) use automated entry. It is just that the ID card is easier to carry around and is more likely to be needed on a day to day basis.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
On Friday morning at T5, there was one IRIS machine working but three of the passport reading machines, with a staff member inviting people to use them.

Seemed to work reasonably well.
A significant improvement on Manchester T1 which I came though last Thursday. 5 e-passport gates and 1 IRIS gate - none of them working!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 3:53 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by OPebble
Actually a lot of our European neighbours do have passports as well, so can (and do) use automated entry. It is just that the ID card is easier to carry around and is more likely to be needed on a day to day basis.
I never used to carry my passport, just my ID card, and lots of my friends and family either don't have a passport or if they do, they wouldn't dream of taking it with them just to visit another European country...

Then again, the number of people arriving with a passport is probably still far higher than the number of people who ever registered with IRIS. No surprise, I nearly missed my plane when I wanted to register, given the speed and efficiency of the process
Old Apr 5, 2011, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by chistery
Renewing your passport has nothing to do with it. It's if you don't use it then it deletes you.
As OPebble picked up, I don't have a biometric passport so can't use the new machines (which will presumably fully replace IRIS machines before long).
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:03 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by timezonehopper
A significant improvement on Manchester T1 which I came though last Thursday. 5 e-passport gates and 1 IRIS gate - none of them working!
T1 Iris was working around 23:15 as I arrived from FRA. The other gates were closed.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stifle
As OPebble picked up, I don't have a biometric passport so can't use the new machines (which will presumably fully replace IRIS machines before long).
Not sure, they seem to be having problems with the new gates currently.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 6:20 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I liken IRIS to America's old INSPASS. Few people have heard of it, and fewer people are able to use it. I had signed up two years ago, and IRIS was down every time I passed through LHR. Didn't matter whether I was passing through 1, 2 or 5. Very disappointing.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by crystak
IRIS closed in T5 today but the new passport machines were working perfectly (first time I used one!)
T5 Border was packed last night at 830pm. Only half the egates were working and Iris closed. Very annoying
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
I have a sneaking suspicion that with all the spending cutbacks, IRIS is going to be with us for a long time and we wont see many new biometric gates!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:53 am

I have a sneaking suspicion that with all the spending cutbacks, IRIS is going to be with us for a long time and we wont see many new biometric gates!
Biometric gates save money, as the staff to gate ratio is probably five to one, rather than one to one.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:55 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Do I bother re-registering then?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by uxb
Do I bother re-registering then?
Re-registering is only needed if you haven't used IRIS for 2 years.....
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Originally Posted by rabbitman
Biometric gates save money, as the staff to gate ratio is probably five to one, rather than one to one.
i have never seen anyone checking the IRIS gate, am I missing something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.