Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of Iris? [effective 17 September 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:50 am

Programs: ABBA
T5 yesterday morning, no e-passport gates open, long queues for manual gates, only one iris with about 5 people ahead of me.

Fortunately all 5 were registered and got through quickly.

I think it will stay for a while yet, noone has the money to decommission them, and they do (I assume), save money over the e-passport gates -- there's no attendants, and no dedicated fall-through person.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
In T5, towards the left of Border Control, next to where us crew pass through, they have been building two new machines, for quite some time. In fact they have looked finished for a while now.

We have been wondering what these are and had assumed they were new Iris machines but they may be the new passport readers! So maybe they will open them up for use soon.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
In T5, towards the left of Border Control, next to where us crew pass through, they have been building two new machines, for quite some time. In fact they have looked finished for a while now.

We have been wondering what these are and had assumed they were new Iris machines but they may be the new passport readers! So maybe they will open them up for use soon.
The e-passport gates look very different from Iris.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
The e-passport gates look very different from Iris.
Believe it or not, I have never been through an Iris machine or an e-passport machine, but they are two newly built machines whatever they are and on the far left of Border Control, cordoned off at the moment.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Believe it or not, I have never been through an Iris machine or an e-passport machine, but they are two newly built machines whatever they are and on the far left of Border Control, cordoned off at the moment.
I think I know the machines you are talking about. I don't think they are IRIS, so they could be additional ePassport gates.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Both IRIS machines were working when I arrived on the first HKG but none of the ePassport gates.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
Got stuck last week in a queue behind a couple who were chancing their arm in the iRIS machines. It was obvious to all and sundry that they had not registered & lots of muttering ensued amounst the queue until the couple gave up & went back to the manual queue.
Cue response
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:21 am

Arrived at Gatwick South on Saturday 30 Jul to find the IRIS lanes and machines had all been removed. Upon asking, a Border Agency officer told me "IRIS is over at Gatwick."
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by UK-G8TR-67
Arrived at Gatwick South on Saturday 30 Jul to find the IRIS lanes and machines had all been removed. Upon asking, a Border Agency officer told me "IRIS is over at Gatwick."
Welcome to FT ^

... even if you are a bringer of bad news!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had the same pleasant surprise last week. ePassport gates were off so the EU nationals queue was huge. UKBA needs a jolly good kick up the arse.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I had the same pleasant surprise last week. ePassport gates were off so the EU nationals queue was huge. UKBA needs a jolly good kick up the arse.
Notwithstanding the UKBA (in)ability to roster appropriate staff numbers at the booths, last time I was through T5 early morning I asked why the ePassport gates weren't open. Apparently they are operated by BAA, not the UKBA, and therefore only work when BAA staff are rostered and are closed for their teabreaks/lunch etc.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Welcome to FT, sad news indeed! However it is temporary - see next post.

Last edited by britbronco22; Aug 8, 2011 at 8:28 am
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:26 am

From the Home Office website

Gatwick Airport's south terminal is being redeveloped, and work is about to begin in the arrivals area. This means that we must remove the IRIS barrier from the south terminal on 23 March 2011. At present we do not know when the IRIS barrier will be reinstated. We regret the inconvenience caused.
So not the apparently not the end!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by britbronco22
From the Home Office website

So not the apparently not the end!
Not the end.
Or even the end of the beginning.
Nor even the beginning of the end.
Just an intervening period of bu66eration

Some really intelligent person said something like that
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:38 am

I went to the IRIS office at T5 last night to update my registration for my new passport.

The registration staff asked me how often I used it and we had a bit of a chat.
One of them then mentioned that unforunately the IRIS barriers would be closing (at T5 at least), when the facial recognition barriers for non-EU citizens is complete.
These barriers are the ones at the left hand end of the arrival hall in T5, which as you may have noticed appear to be complete!
So sadly it sounds like IRIS will soon be gone in T5 at least. Glad I have a biometric passport now.
The other bad news for non-EU passport holders is that there will be a charge to use these barriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.