Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of Iris? [effective 17 September 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
So those of us who do not have a RFID chipped passport (unless I fill my current UK passport, I won't need one until 2015), are basically up a creek without a paddle once IRIS gets shut down?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:42 am

Programs: Confirmed
How hard is it to extend the e-passport gate to people who hold a biometric british visa? UKBA stores the biometrics of the holders of these visas already.

If it reads information from the chip on the passport, surely it could read from the chip of the biometric residence permit?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by britbronco22
They might have just taken the day off?
When I was there on Sunday, the guy behind me in the queue said it was his 3rd attempt, previous 2 times they had been closed.
I would have reported back further on this as I did call back on my way to the gate. However I have been travelling (well obviously!) and this is the first chance I have had. The notice was hand written but on official paper. I queried it at the VAT refunds desk and they said it had been there for 'a while' and they thought it was due to staff shortage. They then asked "if I wanted a VAT refund and if not could I sod off". Well, actually they didn't say that but it would have been fun if they had so, who knows, maybe T5 is going the same way as other registration offices? Either way, it doesn't sound like they are putting their heart and soul behind IRIS
Old Aug 18, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by B747-437B
The premium program's costs must be funded substantially (if not entirely) by the private sector and will require registration, but will be open to both EU and non-EU citizens.
Fine by me. Don't have an EU passport, so cannot use the e-gates once IRIS goes away. Happy to pay for the ability to skip the lines.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by SKRan
How hard is it to extend the e-passport gate to people who hold a biometric british visa? UKBA stores the biometrics of the holders of these visas already. If it reads information from the chip on the passport, surely it could read from the chip of the biometric residence permit?
The technology to retrieve and verify the biometrics already exists. However, the key difference is that non-EU/EEA citizens are granted conditional leave to enter, not the unconditional leave that EU/EEA are entitled to. The specific conditions of that leave may be tighter (in transit for 24 hours) or looser (indefinite leave to remain), but those conditions must still be satisfied for leave to enter to be granted. This requires examination by a UKBA officer who has to verify that the intent of entry is consistent with the conditions of the entry clearance granted.

IRIS, by virtue of its registration requirement, essentially conducted that verification for all entries during the validity period at the time of the registration interview. Therefore, it was able to be extended to non-EU/EEA citizens. The future "premium" system will also require registration and will similarly be able to be extended to non-EU/EEA citizens who are deemed to be essentially "trusted travelers". However, the current e-gates do not require pre-registration and hence must be restricted only to holders of those documents that grant unconditional leave.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jordan D
So those of us who do not have a RFID chipped passport (unless I fill my current UK passport, I won't need one until 2015), are basically up a creek without a paddle once IRIS gets shut down?
I'm in this boat too. My wife received her passport 3 months after I did and her's has the RFID chip, mine sadly does not.

I guess it boils down to: P=(V x n)/H

Where:

P = the probability of me going down this route
V = average relative speed of the e-Passport gate compared to the standard queue
n = the number of times a year I'm flying after IRIS is removed
H = the hassle of renewing my passport early or getting a second passport

Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:21 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
B747-437B, would you have any information about the new "premium" system potentially becoming the UK's component in the FLUX Alliance?

Last edited by vla; Aug 19, 2011 at 5:53 am Reason: Many thanks to B747-437B
Old Aug 18, 2011, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by vla
B747-437B, would you have any information about the new "premium" system potentially becoming the UK's component in the FLUX Alliance?
The original plan was to model something on Privium, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the compatibility. I'm no longer in regular communication with my UKBA contacts, but I'll post here if I have a chance to chat with them anytime soon.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by vla
From the FAQs:
At present the Netherlands and the USA are the only members of the FLUX Alliance. At the end of the FLUX pilot year (April 2010) other countries will join the Alliance.
We apologise for the late arrival of the incoming alliance?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:52 am

Programs: BA
In relation to Flux, this article, from May, suggests that there will be some kind of pilot for UK citizens to use the US Global Entry programme "in the next month or so".

http://www.businesstravelnews.com/article.aspx?id=20381
Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There's now a printed sign on the door (albeit a desktop printer jobbie) saying that the T5 IRIS office, "due to unforeseen circumstances", is closed until further notice. The sign is dated 20 August 2011.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Aug 21, 2011 at 8:22 am Reason: terminal omitted
Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There's now a printed sign on the door (albeit a desktop printer jobbie) saying that the IRIS office, "due to unforeseen circumstances", is closed until further notice. The sign is dated 20 August 2011.
Which terminal?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Sorry T5.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
There's now a printed sign on the door (albeit a desktop printer jobbie) saying that the T5 IRIS office, "due to unforeseen circumstances", is closed until further notice. The sign is dated 20 August 2011.
In other words the staff are on holiday and they aren't going to take people off their day job!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:01 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by OPebble
In other words the staff are on holiday and they aren't going to take people off their day job!
Given what has been posted above, is it not more likely that given it's future is limited, it's closed to new registrations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.