Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of Iris? [effective 17 September 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
@ britbronco22 ... valuable input. Thank you. ^
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by britbronco22
One of them then mentioned that unforunately the IRIS barriers would be closing (at T5 at least), when the facial recognition barriers for non-EU citizens is complete.
I must have missed a thread ---- is there someplace I can read about "facial recognition barriers for non-EU citizens"? TIA!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
I must have missed a thread ---- is there someplace I can read about "facial recognition barriers for non-EU citizens"? TIA!
Exactly what I was thinking. Well, if that's the new system, fine by me. And I don't mind paying to skip the lines.

Has any such system been officially announced yet?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold
According to this info it is for UK/EU/EEA passports only. Has something else been mentioned?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
On the premise that the UK Border Agency is about as functional as 6 meerkats in a goldfish bowl, I wouldn't hold your breath.

There will be at lead 8 Steering Groups, an Overview Group and a High Level Lunch Group before anyone ever thinks about sourcing the funding and the technology :roll eyes:

Sorry, that was harsh. Four meerkats and 5 Steering Groups.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
According to this info it is for UK/EU/EEA passports only. Has something else been mentioned?
No, we are aware that once IRIS is gone those of us with non-EU passports - even biometric ones - will be back at the end of the All Other queue.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by adl73x
No, we are aware that once IRIS is gone those of us with non-EU passports - even biometric ones - will be back at the end of the All Other queue.
As I mentioned up thread. This is not what I was told; but time will tell. I too would be willing to pay a reasonable fee to have some alternative in place. The greatest thing, for me about the IRIS entry point was no stamp in my passport. Pages are a premium in my little blue book.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Exactly what I was thinking. Well, if that's the new system, fine by me. And I don't mind paying to skip the lines.

Has any such system been officially announced yet?
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
There had been speculation upthread (by LTN Phobia in post #78 back in March, about the new e-passport gates at the non-eu end of immigration, but no official announcement.
I am only reporting what I was told by the IRIS registration officer, (who I imagine would be fairly reliable!), that these gates would be for non-EU passport holders, be subject to a fee, and when operational would result in the closure of IRIS.
I asked when this might happen, and they said it has not been decided, he speculated 'when testing finished'. The gates have been there some months, so who knows how long it will be?
Just passing on what I heard! At least I credited my source
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I am only reporting what I was told by the IRIS registration officer, (who I imagine would be fairly reliable!), that these gates would be for non-EU passport holders, be subject to a fee, and when operational would result in the closure of IRIS.
I asked when this might happen, and they said it has not been decided, he speculated 'when testing finished'. The gates have been there some months, so who knows how long it will be?
I have heard the same some time ago from the IRIS registration officer although not specifically about those ePassport gates at the non-EU end of immigration. He too mentioned the fee, and also did not know the timing.

By the way IRIS was broken a few days ago at LGW North, again. It's broken more often than not there.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I have heard the same some time ago from the IRIS registration officer although not specifically about those ePassport gates at the non-EU end of immigration. He too mentioned the fee, and also did not know the timing.

By the way IRIS was broken a few days ago at LGW North, again. It's broken more often than not there.
It was broken when I passed through LGW north last month. I was planning to register for IRIS but can't see the point of doing that if it's broken all the time
Old Aug 15, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Yes, that could be consistent with what the IRIS customer service centre told me when I made an enquiry earlier this year. Let's hope that the period between the closure of IRIS and the opening of any new system is very, very short.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 6:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
It was broken when I passed through LGW north last month. I was planning to register for IRIS but can't see the point of doing that if it's broken all the time
I find that the ones at T5 have a reasonable chance of working, because there are two there. However, there is only one at LGW North and too many non-registered people are trying to use it, which seems to confuse the machine (only my observation and may not be the cause of their breakdown at all).
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:10 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I find that the ones at T5 have a reasonable chance of working, because there are two there.
I have only ever seen one of the two working at T5 recently, never both at the same time.

Last time at T5, I thought I would try the e-passport gates for a change. Took what felt like a very long time to recognise me, to the point that I was about to give up. Certainly much longer than Iris.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by slate
Last time at T5, I thought I would try the e-passport gates for a change. Took what felt like a very long time to recognise me, to the point that I was about to give up. Certainly much longer than Iris.
Are the new machines actually intelligent? Given they need someone from the Border Agency manning them (albeit looking at 6 machines at a time) and having seen from behind the screen the Border Agency person sees - basically a screen divided into 6 with a copy of the passport photo next to the photo taken live - I'd assumed that (at least currently) the Border Agency person is comparing photos and approving/rejecting. It might just be for an introductory period until they're satisfied it works. The advantage seems to be that they can cut staffing as you now need one person instead of six.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ant_west
Are the new machines actually intelligent? Given they need someone from the Border Agency manning them (albeit looking at 6 machines at a time) and having seen from behind the screen the Border Agency person sees - basically a screen divided into 6 with a copy of the passport photo next to the photo taken live - I'd assumed that (at least currently) the Border Agency person is comparing photos and approving/rejecting. It might just be for an introductory period until they're satisfied it works. The advantage seems to be that they can cut staffing as you now need one person instead of six.
Perhaps the system shows a match and then the human has to confirm it during the testing phase, which could be the cause of the slow performance. Maybe when they trust it things will speed up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.