Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of Iris? [effective 17 September 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:57 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Perhaps the system shows a match and then the human has to confirm it during the testing phase, which could be the cause of the slow performance. Maybe when they trust it things will speed up.
That's my guess. The UKBA website says:

"The system uses facial recognition technology to compare your face to the photograph recorded on the 'chip' in your passport."

It also says you have to remove your glasses, which is news to me. I didn't remove mine, so maybe it failed to match and a human had to check it, which is why it took such a long time.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by ant_west
The advantage seems to be that they can cut staffing as you now need one person instead of six.
But the current automated arrangement (IRIS) needs zero staff.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 5:59 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Originally Posted by stifle
But the current automated arrangement (IRIS) needs zero staff.
Except for the registration process, which to be open needs staff, the moon to be in certain phase, precise weather conditions and a lot of luck.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:20 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by slate
That's my guess. The UKBA website says:

"The system uses facial recognition technology to compare your face to the photograph recorded on the 'chip' in your passport."

It also says you have to remove your glasses, which is news to me. I didn't remove mine, so maybe it failed to match and a human had to check it, which is why it took such a long time.
I use the bio gates in OZ. Last time I was about to walk into a machine the border agent asked if I had my glasses on in my passport photo. I said yes and he said to keep them on.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:26 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Moomba
I use the bio gates in OZ. Last time I was about to walk into a machine the border agent asked if I had my glasses on in my passport photo. I said yes and he said to keep them on.
That makes more sense: don't take off your glasses if you're wearing them in the passport photo. In my case, I was wearing my contact lenses when the passport photo was taken.

Iris doesn't care whether you've got your glasses on.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:45 am

I was planning on registering for Iris tomorrow as I go throught T5. Im an EU passport holder with a chip. Do you think it is a waste of time registering with the possible demise of Iris round the corner, especially as T5 has facial recognition available a lot of the time?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by ColdWalker
I was planning on registering for Iris tomorrow as I go throught T5. Im an EU passport holder with a chip. Do you think it is a waste of time registering with the possible demise of Iris round the corner, especially as T5 has facial recognition available a lot of the time?
Belt and braces perhaps? I would personally.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:22 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Famous last words and all that, but I've used the e-gates at various LHR & LGW terminals about 10-12 times over the last year and haven't waited more than 2-3 mins. It was a bit slow to recognise at LGW South last week (extra 20s of whirring and camera moving), but seriously quicker than the manual queue. I personally wouldn't bother with IRIS, but YMMV.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Never a waste of time while there are still terminals/airports with IRIS but no e-gates.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adl73x
Except for the registration process, which to be open needs staff, the moon to be in certain phase, precise weather conditions and a lot of luck.
That is very true. I took three attempts before finding an IRIS office open, and on my successful attempt I was registered by one of the stars of UK Border Force!
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by OPebble
Belt and braces perhaps? I would personally.
Agreed, and done already ^

Who knows which bit of technology will be functioning when you enter the Bear Pit of Immigration?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Do they have IRIS and e-passport at T5 flight connections?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by duncas
Do they have IRIS and e-passport at T5 flight connections?
Not sure, but bear in mind you only go through immigration at T5 connections if you're connecting to a domestic flight.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:13 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Emailed the IRIS team yesterday to see if there was an update on a new system for non-EU passport holders. They just responded and said no update yet.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Moomba
Those have never worked for me (both Aus & NZ) despite my passport being the 'enabled version'. I have asked immigration as to what the issue is, but they have all stated that it should have worked.

Very strange!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.