Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of Iris? [effective 17 September 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A further question, please, on the use of e-passports at LHR ... what do you actually have to do to use the system? Is it just a case of swiping the passport, or more complicated than that?

I'd hate to find myself being talked about on FT, and being described as "some old fool stuck in a booth" ... while the queue gets ever longer, and me not able to see or hear the instructions clearly!!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:10 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I went through LHR T2 and T5 a few times during July and August 2010. Every time, the queues were closed/boarded up.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by T8191
A further question, please, on the use of e-passports at LHR ... what do you actually have to do to use the system? Is it just a case of swiping the passport, or more complicated than that?
Believe it's facial recognition, you put your passport face down onto a scanner and then stare into a screen housing a camera. There's a rather nifty animated video that clearly describes what to do.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, stueys ... I hope after an overnight TATL I still look the same as my passport, although I was very tired and hung over when the photo was taken, so it should be OK

PS ... the OH asks whether you have to drop the rabbit, or pick it up?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Originally Posted by FenLandK
BTW - anyone here a member of Global Entry for the US? I'm sorely tempted to pony up the $100 to avoid the queues at JFK, although I'll probably end up queuing for the same amount of time - just at baggage reclaim rather than immigration.
I've been a member for 6 months now. It requires going in for an interview but to me the hassle and cost was well worth it in time saved. I've had to wait more than 45 minutes in immigration lines in the past (and this was for the US citizens/permanent residents line, which generally moves faster than the visitors line) and have missed connections due to the wait.

Authentication is done by reading your passport and then scanning your fingerprints, and then it looks up the data on your flight (APIS I believe?). I wonder if fingerprint recognition is more accurate than the facial recognition which lead to the "breach" at MAN cited earlier in this thread.

I read an article recently that IAH is the most popular for use of the program, followed by IAD. There are typically a few machines available, so I've never had to wait more than a minute or two.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfidler
I've been a member for 6 months now. It requires going in for an interview but to me the hassle and cost was well worth it in time saved. I've had to wait more than 45 minutes in immigration lines in the past (and this was for the US citizens/permanent residents line, which generally moves faster than the visitors line) and have missed connections due to the wait.
Tempting, but presumably I have to fly to the US Embassy in London for that ... which gets a bit expensive, just to save 30-60 minutes standing in the foreign barstewards line at IAD.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver; M+M Gold
As far as I'm aware the new UK gates compare your digital photo (stored on the chip in the passport) with that of what they are seeing on camera at the gate. I've only used it at Stansted Airport and in Madrid. I think unlike IRIS that, if it's working, is always on, open and free to use, the new gates are only opened when the UK boarder agency deem it to be busy enough. Which most of the time I have been through LGW, LHR or BRS they haven't and so are closed and idle... which makes me think why on earth spend all the money on installing them only not to have them used? I think it is probably linked to unions and if they were on all the time there would be strikes about it and job losses.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKBADGER
I have been through LGW, LHR or BRS they haven't and so are closed and idle... which makes me think why on earth spend all the money on installing them only not to have them used? I think it is probably linked to unions and if they were on all the time there would be strikes about it and job losses.
Think they are still on test, everytime I've been through there has been a customs officer manning a desk behind the machines checking the reads. Guess that means they need a certain number of staff on to run.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: IHG RA, BAEC Gold, BW Diamond
Cover the picture of the chip

I'd hate to find myself being talked about on FT, and being described as "some old fool stuck in a booth" ... while the queue gets ever longer, and me not able to see or hear the instructions clearly!!
I've now passed through this three times with my SO, and each time I have been through first by using the passport without the chip, whilst she is directed to the chip lane.
It is PAINFULLY SLOW. I could guess why given the software in use, but that's not the point here.
For various reasons I have the choice in my pocket each time, and even with a small queue in the old fashioned lanes, I can beat someone I clock entering the empty chip queue at the same time.
So, if I may advise, put your thumb over the cover that shows it's a chip version or act stupid when asked (I'm VERY good at that!).
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JRGAY
I've now passed through this three times with my SO, and each time I have been through first by using the passport without the chip, whilst she is directed to the chip lane.
It is PAINFULLY SLOW. I could guess why given the software in use, but that's not the point here.
For various reasons I have the choice in my pocket each time, and even with a small queue in the old fashioned lanes, I can beat someone I clock entering the empty chip queue at the same time.
So, if I may advise, put your thumb over the cover that shows it's a chip version or act stupid when asked (I'm VERY good at that!).
Thanks ... interesting tactics!! I admit to not waving my passport around, advertising my Britishness, so the chip-label won't be obvious

I'll have to try it next time, though ... this modern stuff is SO exciting.
We have 3 computers here at home
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Tempting, but presumably I have to fly to the US Embassy in London for that ... which gets a bit expensive, just to save 30-60 minutes standing in the foreign barstewards line at IAD.
You can only do the interview at Enrollment Centers and all are located in the US. I suppose you could schedule an appointment based on when you know you'll be in the US (in my experience there's a wide range of appointment times available), if it's worth it.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfidler
You can only do the interview at Enrollment Centers and all are located in the US. I suppose you could schedule an appointment based on when you know you'll be in the US (in my experience there's a wide range of appointment times available), if it's worth it.
Many thanks for that ... I shall explore in a bit more detail. Something to do on a rainy day in VA, perhaps?

Anything has to be better than standing in line at IAD Immigration for an hour
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Hmm, 2 IRIS machines working at T5 tonight. Almost as if someone, somewhere is trying to help people get through quickly.....
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Came back through T3 from MAD last week and two IRIS machines were working but unfortunately no-one could use them as the floor in front of them was being relaid so they were barricaded off! Grrh!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Reregistered for IRIS two days ago. People there said system would be replaced before I would have to register again - two years. I asked by what for non-EU people - they were not sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.