Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of Iris? [effective 17 September 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Tempting, but presumably I have to fly to the US Embassy in London for that ... which gets a bit expensive, just to save 30-60 minutes standing in the foreign barstewards line at IAD.
I always find it interesting that British people complain about standing in the non-citizens queue at US immigration while that's exactly how US citizens are treated when landing in the UK.

Old Mar 8, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Originally Posted by ajax
I always find it interesting that British people complain about standing in the non-citizens queue at US immigration while that's exactly how US citizens are treated when landing in the UK.

Interesting, true. Whereas we Australians even share the same Head of State as the UK, but have to queue up with Americans in the Other queue
Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I noticed when I was arriving at LHR T5 on 4th that they had those e-passport gates at the non-EU end of the "UK Border". I wonder if they will become the e-passport gates for non-EU people?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:28 pm
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by jfidler
I've been a member for 6 months now. It requires going in for an interview but to me the hassle and cost was well worth it in time saved. I've had to wait more than 45 minutes in immigration lines in the past (and this was for the US citizens/permanent residents line, which generally moves faster than the visitors line) and have missed connections due to the wait.

Authentication is done by reading your passport and then scanning your fingerprints, and then it looks up the data on your flight (APIS I believe?). I wonder if fingerprint recognition is more accurate than the facial recognition which lead to the "breach" at MAN cited earlier in this thread.

I read an article recently that IAH is the most popular for use of the program, followed by IAD. There are typically a few machines available, so I've never had to wait more than a minute or two.
As a Brit?

Last I knew it wasn't available to us, so if it is, that is a revelation. Quite a few Dutch colleagues are signed up through Privium/Flux though.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by Gaz
As a Brit?

Last I knew it wasn't available to us, so if it is, that is a revelation. Quite a few Dutch colleagues are signed up through Privium/Flux though.
Only available to Brits who are permanent residents of the US (i.e. Green Card holders). Those of us here on non-immigrant visas, or using ESTA need not apply.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold

I think you'll find it's the length of the queue that people complain about. I've no objection to joining the non-citizen line, but hate the fact there are only ever 3 - 5 lanes operating to process 500+ people.

My last arrival into JFK involved a 2 hour wait just to get through immigration.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by adl73x
Interesting, true. Whereas we Australians even share the same Head of State as the UK, but have to queue up with Americans in the Other queue
And Brits have to join the 'other' queue when we arrive in Australia. If you want special treatment at LHR, you have to offer it to us at SYD.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BA-Flyer
My last arrival into JFK involved a 2 hour wait just to get through immigration.
One can get through EZE a lot quicker than that.......2 hours for the privilege of entering a supposed first world country is shameful.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:18 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
I think you'll find it's the length of the queue that people complain about. I've no objection to joining the non-citizen line, but hate the fact there are only ever 3 - 5 lanes operating to process 500+ people.

Saturday afternoon, Terminal 3 LHR, 1500. Planes from Lahore, Tokyo and Amman land within ten minutes of each other. I have known non-EU citizens waiting up to two hours in the queue at immigration to enter this country as well. It's certainly not a problem confined to the US and it's not particularly fair to suggest that it is.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!

And I'm sure US and other citizens feel equally aggrieved when entering UK, but this is the British Airways board

So, taking a more 'global' approach, how does anyone/anywhere expedite the process? More staff? More desks? More IRIS/e-passport systems that actually work? All of the foregoing? And if not, why not?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC gold (silver most of the time), ex-bmi (RIP) ex-silver, and a fistful of Amexes
Another data point, for what it's worth: LHR-T3 had both Iris machines shut Monday eve, T5 had both open Wednesday. Not sure if the closures aren't anything more than neglect. Shame, it was one of the few bits of government that most of us will use that really worked well, and entirely typical that it's being dumped for something that if we're lucky will work almost as well.

I've always thought that when you stand in front of an immig guard, it's the one time when as a citizen of a democracy, in another democracy, you have no rights whatsoever and are entirely at the mercy of authority... a small glimpse of insight into living under more authoritarian regimes. In that light, the East German style queues are entirely natural.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by sky-rat
I've always thought that when you stand in front of an immig guard, it's the one time when as a citizen of a democracy, in another democracy, you have no rights whatsoever and are entirely at the mercy of authority... a small glimpse of insight into living under more authoritarian regimes. In that light, the East German style queues are entirely natural.
Frighteningly profound ... and true.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
And Brits have to join the 'other' queue when we arrive in Australia. If you want special treatment at LHR, you have to offer it to us at SYD.
Hey - we've long stopped fumigating you guys inside the jet on approach to Sydney....whaddelsedoyawant ??!!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by LostAntipod
Hey - we've long stopped fumigating you guys inside the jet on approach to Sydney....whaddelsedoyawant ??!!
Now that you mention it, it has been over a year since I was last fumigated

People never believed me when I told them that happened on my first flight to SYD.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by sky-rat
Another data point, for what it's worth: LHR-T3 had both Iris machines shut Monday eve
They told me it was something to do with resurfacing the flooring. That might not be the technical term, but it was I was told.

AND they said it would take a week or so. They must do it very carefully...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.