Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of Iris? [effective 17 September 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: UA-Plat, AA-Plat, PC-Plat Amb, tons of others...
Was closed at T1 this morning around 5:45AM. Short regular line, but while I was in line, I saw someone successfully use it. Didn't want to risk my spot in line to go check it again.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
If anyone's keeping records: registration closed at T5 on the morning of the 4th; booths open (and being used) yesterday morning.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA
Only one booth working when I arrived at T5 yesterday morning at about 07:00. The other was showing a red cross. No queue at all though.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:43 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Global Entry is excellent. I have never waited to use the machines. Saves a lot of time. Well worth the effort to interview.

IRIS is even better and saves even more time. Just emailed them to ask if the cancellation of the system will mean much longer waits for non-EEA passport holders. Will post if they reply. For the record, I would be more than happy to pay for a similar replacement system, if necessary.

Might be time for me to get one of them fancy biometric passports...
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
IRIS is even better and saves even more time. Just emailed them to ask if the cancellation of the system will mean much longer waits for non-EEA passport holders. Will post if they reply.
Here is the message I sent:

I understand that the IRIS system will be phased out, and I understand that EEA citizens with biometric passports will be able to use the new e-passport readers. That's great.

However, what about current IRIS users who are not EEA passport holders? As a UK resident, I travel through Heathrow dozens of times a year. The IRIS system saves me from 10 to 30 minutes of time -- that's many hours saved per year, which I can use to get back to the office more quickly.

How will the new system address the many UK residents who use IRIS but who are not EEA passport holders? Will our UK entries now take much longer?
Here is the reply (my emphasis):

Dear Mr ExpatExp,

The contract for the Iris Recognition Immigration System (IRIS) is due
to come to an end in 2011. IRIS has proven to be a valuable test bed for
automated border controls and the UK Border Agency is currently
considering the longer term future of the service in the context of our
wider Automation at the Border strategy. Once we have agreed a way
forward we will communicate plans including, if appropriate, how IRIS
users will be migrated to alternative border controls.

As you are aware the ePassport Gates may only be used by EEA nationals
(aged 18 or over) who hold "chipped" passports.

The agency remains committed to improving the passenger experience and
we will seek where possible to exploit technology to enable us to do
that in the context of finite resources. This is a commercially
sensitive area and I am therefore unable to disclose any further
information at present.

Yours sincerely

Mick Storey
HM Inspector
Automation at the Border (IRIS)
Hopefully this means that there will be some alternative to the long lines for those of us who are enrolled in IRIS but do not have an EEA passport.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
One of the IRIS working this morning at LHR T5. I was worried that the lady in front of me would send it gaagaa when she didn't seem to know what to do with it (I suspect she wasn't even registered?), but it was OK when the booth spat her out.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 6:03 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
IRIS was alive and well at T3 this afternoon.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Came through T1 this pm (giving bmi a go) and found out the new passport machines werent working properly. My scan took about 2 mins and then failed, despite having used the machines a number of times before with no issue. They seemed to be failing about 2/3 of people, the immigration guy said they were 'having issues'.

I knew there was a good reason for liking IRIS.........
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
IRIS closed in T5 today but the new passport machines were working perfectly (first time I used one!)
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Originally Posted by BA-Flyer
Now that you mention it, it has been over a year since I was last fumigated

People never believed me when I told them that happened on my first flight to SYD.
Well, I had a funny thing happen on BA009 a few weeks back. As we were approaching SYD, there was a PA announcement that the cabin would be fumigated...basically harmless...cover nose and mouth if adversely affected...

But then there was no obvious sign of said fumigation actually taking place. Is the whole process invisible/silent/odour-free? Or is it only deemed necessary down the back of the plane? We happened to be sitting in F, by the way
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:04 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
On Friday morning at T5, there was one IRIS machine working but three of the passport reading machines, with a staff member inviting people to use them.

Seemed to work reasonably well.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Hopefully they will string IRIS out until the end of next year or thereabouts, at which point I have to renew my passport
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:36 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by stifle
Hopefully they will string IRIS out until the end of next year or thereabouts, at which point I have to renew my passport
Renewing your passport has nothing to do with it. It's if you don't use it then it deletes you.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:45 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by chistery
Renewing your passport has nothing to do with it. It's if you don't use it then it deletes you.
The point is that if you want to use the new entry machines you must (AFAIK) have one of the new biometric passports with the funny gold symbol at the bottom of the front cover.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 2:40 am

Programs: Yes
... which quite a few people from continental Europe won't have, as they use their identity cards instead.

I liked Iris...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.