Wiki Posts
Search

Chase BA Companion Ticket $30,000 Spend

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by coolc7116
I have a BA/Chase card and I earned the companion certificate. My annual renewal is approaching. I dont want to pay the annual fee, so I'm thinking about closing the account. When you redeem the Chase companion certificate, does anyone know if you have to charge the taxes/fees on the Chase/BA card?
You can charge those on any CC, although you earn more miles on your BA purchase by using the Chase card.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
It was posted to my BA account 2 days after I reached the $30,000 threshold. Keep in mind it doesn't appear in your list of transactions on the BA website. After logging on to BAEC, on the Manage My Account page, under "You Options" there will be a line titled "My e-vouchers" and that is where it will show.

Thanks. This was helpful. I've been waiting for something in the mail.

Does anyone know what this language from the terms and conditions means? I'm confused as to whether, if you have two passes, you can spend the miles on just your own flight and then bring two friends along.

A Member who has two valid Redemption Vouchers on their account has the option to redeem both of them simultaneously on one flight booking, the BA Miles flight price must be paid for the Member and an additional individual in order than 2 Companions can travel on that booking.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Thanks. This was helpful. I've been waiting for something in the mail.

Does anyone know what this language from the terms and conditions means? I'm confused as to whether, if you have two passes, you can spend the miles on just your own flight and then bring two friends along.
A Member who has two valid Redemption Vouchers on their account has the option to redeem both of them simultaneously on one flight booking, the BA Miles flight price must be paid for the Member and an additional individual in order than 2 Companions can travel on that booking.
No, it means you can use both vouchers at the same time by spending miles for two persons and two persons can fly free as companions. So a total of four people will be flying, two using miles and two for free.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
OK, now I understand. Thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:20 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Not sure what living in NYC has to do with anything?
But, as to your question, it all depends on where you plan to fly and in what class. First of all, you can't use the companion cert on any other airline.
If you want to fly BA First, you are getting two $15K-$18K tickets for 150K in miles and $1,000 in taxes/fees when you fly BA. Still a pretty good deal to me. It's not like the companion ticket is costing you $30K. If you spend that kind of volume in a short period of time, presumably you're charging it on a CC anyway... may as well be on the card where you get the best bang for your miles.

well because i dont think the companion ticket is that great value. i understand that the face value of a business class or first class ticket is 5k and 15k respectively, but no one pays that much out of their own pocket. its either free upgrades or company paid for, for those classes. and u see deals like the AA and IB deals lately that value a rd trip coach ticket at around $250. so for 150k for a first class ticket, wouldnt u rather pay the $250 for coach and just use the 150k on other flights on partner airlines?
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cybaslacka
i understand that the face value of a business class or first class ticket is 5k and 15k respectively, but no one pays that much out of their own pocket.
Sure, and no one flies private, or buys $20 million homes.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by cybaslacka
well because i dont think the companion ticket is that great value. i understand that the face value of a business class or first class ticket is 5k and 15k respectively, but no one pays that much out of their own pocket. its either free upgrades or company paid for, for those classes. and u see deals like the AA and IB deals lately that value a rd trip coach ticket at around $250. so for 150k for a first class ticket, wouldnt u rather pay the $250 for coach and just use the 150k on other flights on partner airlines?
Well a more accurate valuation would be to use the surcharge for business class and compare to the actual costs. If surcharges are roughly $500 per person vs. lowest economy ticket of $600-700, then essentially you are spending 100k miles (plus voucher) to upgrade from cattle car to relative comfort for 10 hours or more (west coast to europe). I think that's a pretty good deal, mileage upgrades on US carriers normally run about 30k one-way plus $500 co-pays from the lowest fares. If you can get 2 $4000 business class tickets for $1000 in fees, that's 7 cents per mile, a very good return. Even if you value them at 1/2 that, 3.5 cpm is quite acceptable.

The AA and IB deals are rare and of limited value depending on your travel dates, origin and destination. They work for mileage runners and people who are willing to sacrifice comfort for coin. But the reason most of us accumulate miles is for international C/F travel, and the BA card/vouchers seem to work for that goal.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:28 am

Programs: UA AA and more
Is it ok to cancel the card before making the reservation?
Will I lose the voucher?
How about after making the reservation using the voucher? safe to cancel the card after that?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lksf
Is it ok to cancel the card before making the reservation?
Will I lose the voucher?
How about after making the reservation using the voucher? safe to cancel the card after that?
When you asked this back in October people gave the best answer they could. See this post and the ones following:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...d#post14565455
It seems BA doesn't care.
See also this post in another thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13389105-post14.html
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Does this run on a calendar year basis? How can u see where you are relative to the $30K threshold?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nologic
Does this run on a calendar year basis? How can u see where you are relative to the $30K threshold?
It is a calendar year basis. No way I know of to check other than add up your spend each month from your statement and calculate from there. Others have reported that they have called and received figures.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
When you asked this back in October people gave the best answer they could. See this post and the ones following:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...d#post14565455
It seems BA doesn't care.
See also this post in another thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13389105-post14.html
Thanks, and sorry for re-asking, slipped my mind that I did
Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
It is a calendar year basis. No way I know of to check other than add up your spend each month from your statement and calculate from there. Others have reported that they have called and received figures.
Yeah, and calling is not a very reliable way. When I called in October, they told me I had $26k in spend, but they neglected to include the $4k in returns that I had over the 10 months!!

I now keep an Excel spreadsheet and log each and every purchase... looking forward to starting it all over again in 2011!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by blase
looking forward to starting it all over again in 2011!
naaahh, not gonna happen for me for 2011...
without the 100k bonus I won't have as many miles to burn...
now it's only gonna take $16K in spend to get 300,000 miles on AA

300K miles is similar to 200K+Voucher
Old Dec 29, 2010, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lksf
naaahh, not gonna happen for me for 2011...
without the 100k bonus I won't have as many miles to burn...
now it's only gonna take $16K in spend to get 300,000 miles on AA

300K miles is similar to 200K+Voucher
So I haven't been following the AA card developments recently, could you help me with some details or provide a link?

Edited to add: I assume you are employing one or more of the bonus offers listed in the 2nd post in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-up-bonus.html

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Dec 29, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.