Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase BA Companion Ticket $30,000 Spend

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by PNWEJL
I have been considering the BA Visa card due to the $30,000 spend companion deal. Has anyone tried to use the companion voucher yet? It seems like a great deal but only if you can actually redeem it and fly when/where you want.

Thanks for the input!
I have used two vouchers so far, no problems. I booked one voucher on-line, for travel with another member of my household account (my spouse). The second voucher was used with a friend (not a member of the household), so that required a telephone booking, but no problems there, either.

Redemption is subject to availability of award seats, of course. For peak season travel, I made the booking one year in advance. The other redemption was for the off-season (October), and I found first-class seats available only a week prior to departure (SEA-LHR).

The vouchers are a good deal.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Yep, I can say that using the 241 is VERY easy. I made a recent reservation using BA miles, 270K miles for F to india (I had done a transfer of AMEX MR miles with a 30% bonus, so it only really cost about 200K miles) and used the 241, no questions asked, no blacked out dates, no restrictions or controls, nothing. Just another ca. 15,000$ F seat from SFO to LHR with stopover and on to BOM and back from DEL in full F for free. Best use of spending 30K on a card I have done in YEARS
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PNWEJL
Has anyone tried to use the companion voucher yet?
Have reserved it without issue. Originally booked DFW/LHR/NBO in J outbound, JNB/LHR/DFW in F inbound. Changed our minds and were able to get the 241 redeposited to do DFW/LHR/DBX/LHR/DFW, J out, F in. Takes a little time on the phone, but VERY worth it in my opinion.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond, AS MVP Gold, Continental Gold
Thanks so much for all the quick replies. I've travelled extensively for years and am always looking for the best value in a CC. This one looks hard to beat. The taxes and fees suck but the value is still there.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:22 am

Yep, I can say that using the 241 is VERY easy. I made a recent reservation using BA miles, 270K miles for F to india (I had done a transfer of AMEX MR miles with a 30% bonus, so it only really cost about 200K miles) and used the 241, no questions asked, no blacked out dates, no restrictions or controls, nothing. Just another ca. 15,000$ F seat from SFO to LHR with stopover and on to BOM and back from DEL in full F for free. Best use of spending 30K on a card I have done in YEARS
Wonderful. I just got confirmation of my 2 for 1 and I'm looking to book to India in August. What were the taxes on the fare? Figure I'll use the miles to cover the two tickets and my girlfriend will pay the taxes...so she can feel like she's doing her part.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
The taxes and FUEL SURCHARGES were about 750$ a ticket, ex SFO, it was nearly 950$ ex ORD for another couple travelling with us. In the end, it wasn't crazy $$ but still not totally free as some would say, but heck, it was basically free for me what with the 200K we got for signing up for the BA cards, plus about 75K after spending 30K each on the respective cards. No brainer,
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I just booked the same thing IAD-LHR-MUM-LHR-SFO in F 1 year out for Xmas/NYE, with some Amex MR miles + 30% bonus on top of 200K from 2 Chase cards. Amazing redemption, worked out to 135K miles + $750 each for 2 tix.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
The fuel surcharges / taxes on my award tix will be close to $1K. These are refundable if I cancel the awards, correct? All I have to pay is $50 pp cancellation fee?
Just want to be absolutely sure.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, VS Gold Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by adamak
The fuel surcharges / taxes on my award tix will be close to $1K. These are refundable if I cancel the awards, correct? All I have to pay is $50 pp cancellation fee?
Just want to be absolutely sure.
Thats correct. If you need to cancel it there is just the cancellation fee.
Also the award will then reappear on your profile so you can use it in the future.

I just made a change on my award ticket and it ended up giving me credit for a stop over in LHR on the way in which kicked back 300 in taxes to me. I think for my PHL-LHR-MUC TXL-LHR-PHL trip in F and CE the total was 1400usd.
Old May 2, 2011, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Splittin' Aces
Hi Eric - Yes, LCY-ZRH is BA CityFlyer. I dug around on this issue a bit before going for the tickets. The voucher says "Companion vouchers cannot be redeemed for travel with BA's franchisees, code share partners or oneworld Alliance members". According to the BA website, BA CityFlyer is wholly owned subsidiary of BA - not a franchisee. So unless BA spins off CityFlyer or changes the terms of the voucher, you should be able to use the voucher on CityFlyer.

Comair out of Johannesburg and Sun-Air out of Denmark are franchisees, so according to the voucher you wouldn't be able to make connecting flights on those.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_us
Originally Posted by Tupelo
You can. I just booked a LAX-LHR-AMS return for four people using two Chase 241 vouchers. The LAX-LHR is in F and the AMS flights are in CE from LCY on CityFlyer.

...Way too many acronyms needed when discussing aviation....
Tupelo: Can you confirm whether you booked your BOGO on the Internet or via BA phone reservations? Although the above info Splittin' Aces gives seems valid and would seem to follow common sense and T&Cs, in fact if you try to make this booking via phone Reservations, they will not allow you to book CityFlyer flights I have found:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16313367-post7.html
Old May 3, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA AA and more
The scary thing about this voucher is realizing how much I spend.
I paused using the BA card to take advantage of 4 AA 75K bonus cards (2 for me 2 for the ms) each had $4K spend, and then after we are done with the spending requirement of those (which wasn't exactly 4K each but somewhat more) we are back on the BA card...as things go so far with some planned expenses I estimate we reach the $30K around July or so...$50K spend (add a 50K CO card with some spending on it) in just a little over 6 months...I'm running out of cards to churn
Old May 3, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA Platinum, Amex Platinum, SPG Amex
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Tupelo: Can you confirm whether you booked your BOGO on the Internet or via BA phone reservations? Although the above info Splittin' Aces gives seems valid and would seem to follow common sense and T&Cs, in fact if you try to make this booking via phone Reservations, they will not allow you to book CityFlyer flights I have found:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16313367-post7.html
I did make the booking by calling the US BAEC, and they booked us onto the CityFlyer flights with no questions asked. It's a bit of an irony in that some are reporting you can book CityFlyer online using the Chase 241s, but not on the phone. In my case I had to use the call center because you cannot book four people on the same PNR using two Chase 241s and do it online. The BA.com award booking engine can't deal with two vouchers on the same booking, only one (or at least that's the way it was several months ago when I made the booking.)
Old May 3, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
If you have to call BA to make an open-jaw booking using the Chase Compnion Award voucher, do you have to pay the fee for a phone reservation? Since BA.com is incapable of handling an open-jaw I would think the phone fee should be waived.
Old May 3, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SW AList, Delta Platinum
I apologize if this has already been asked - but can the companion pass be used on multi-destination tickets (fly IAD to LHR - then CDG IAD)? Many thanks!
Old May 3, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by diamondsRforever
I apologize if this has already been asked - but can the companion pass be used on multi-destination tickets (fly IAD to LHR - then CDG IAD)? Many thanks!
Yes it can. It's called an open-jaw ticket and it's the reason I asked the question (right before yours) about making those reservations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.