Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase BA Companion Ticket $30,000 Spend

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2011, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by flyerstan
Has anyone else been waiting for the companion ticket to post on your BA account (from Chase credit card)? I qualified on my last statement - early July and still have not seen anything. Anyone recently hit the 30,000 recently that can comment? I really want to book these tickets.
Welcome to FT.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
One CAN qualify for a 2nd voucher, but of course that is another 30K in spend.
No, you can't. You can earn only one voucher per year. The Terms & Conditions are quite explicit on this:

"Only one voucher can be earned in any Twelve Month Period. If the Member reaches their Spend Target within the Twelve Month Period then further spend will not accumulate towards another voucher. Members can begin earning towards their next voucher at the beginning of the next Twelve Month Period."
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by cazic99
Why some people think the Voucher is not a good deal makes no sense. I just booked 2 Business tickets SFO-LHR-AMS and Return from Paris-LHR -SFO In business class for 100k miles. Fee of $1500. The same iterinary and tickets will cost over $18000 retail. Yes nobody pays that but if you and me want to get those seats, that is what you will pay. It's a no brainer.
Well, I'd say that the voucher isn't always a great deal. Just about all of my award travel is aspirational (and definitely discretionary.) My biggest question is always, "How can I take a really nice trip while minimizing my out of pocket expenses?"

I have to take three things into consideration with the 241 -- first is the opportunity cost on $30,000 in spend, the second is the YQ, and the third is what I get for it. IAD-LHR is 7 hours eastbound and 8 hours westbound. This isn't that much further than flying IAD-LAX or something like that. So, right there, I don't place that much value on a J upgrade. Then, there's the fees. That adds a lot of cost to the trip. In addition, for me to meet the $30k annual spend, I have to charge my entire life to the card. I'm not kidding. I *maybe* do $15k through regular spend. I'd have to charge my rent, paying a $30/fee (each month) to make up the difference. So, I'm sacrificing a lot to get an award that is of only some value.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
From the terms and conditions:

I would expect the voucher to post in the next week or two if you just qualified this month. My last one posted 3 - 4 weeks after qualifying.
It's been exactly 4 weeks since the statement ended where I qualified and still no 2-4-1 voucher posted to the account. Tried calling chase customer service and they are saying 6-8 weeks after you qualify the marketing department will send out the vouchers. They wont let me speak to the marketing department. My flight I want in May on F is currently available and dont want it to go away!

This waiting sucks. Any way to push them along to get this faster?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Mine had posted 2-3 days after I hit the $30,000 spend and it had nothing to do with my statement date. Are you positive the voucher isn't in your BAEC account? It's a little difficult to see. Why don't you call BA and make sure it isn't in the account.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Mine had posted 2-3 days after I hit the $30,000 spend and it had nothing to do with my statement date. Are you positive the voucher isn't in your BAEC account? It's a little difficult to see. Why don't you call BA and make sure it isn't in the account.

Did you hit the $30,000 spend recently? I did call BAEC yesterday and they said no companion ticket was posted and told me to contact chase. I did not see anything different in my BAEC online account just now....Will try to call BAEC tomorrow when they are open.

As of today 8/8/11 - it's been now 5 weeks since the statement ended where I hit the 30k spending. Still no voucher on the BA account.....taking forever....

Last edited by flyerstan; Aug 8, 2011 at 1:27 pm
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:45 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
....You can earn only one voucher per year. The Terms & Conditions are quite explicit on this:

"Only one voucher can be earned in any Twelve Month Period. If the Member reaches their Spend Target within the Twelve Month Period then further spend will not accumulate towards another voucher. Members can begin earning towards their next voucher at the beginning of the next Twelve Month Period."
This is exactly the point I was making in earlier posts. You can only earn one voucher every 12 months, making any spend over $30K less "valuable". Upon reaching close to $30K I switch to using my AMEX Starwood card; then I wait until the following calendar year before working towards my next $30K BA spend.

Chase are missing a trick here. BA effectively and actively encourage you not to use the card once $30K has been reached.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 5:51 am

Programs: AA Exp, MR Gold, Hyatt Exp
So I just got off the phone trying to book an open jaw using my voucher. Was looking to fly into BRU and out of FCO. Person helping me said that I can't use the voucher for that because they would have to be two separate bookings because of the zones.

Is this true? I can't really find anything on that in the T&C's.

Edit: Hmmm, I guess looking at this post that is the case. Weird that it's not really mentioned in the T&C's. In addition to having a hell of a time finding availability from LHR - US, now I'll have to circle back just so I can fly out of the same zone. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16611484-post266.html

Last edited by pafrican; Aug 16, 2011 at 6:33 am
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by pafrican
So I just got off the phone trying to book an open jaw using my voucher. Was looking to fly into BRU and out of FCO. Person helping me said that I can't use the voucher for that because they would have to be two separate bookings because of the zones.

Edit: Hmmm, I guess looking at this post that is the case. Weird that it's not really mentioned in the T&C's. In addition to having a hell of a time finding availability from LHR - US, now I'll have to circle back just so I can fly out of the same zone. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16611484-post266.html
I've done open jaws, many people have, I THINK it is noted in the T&C somewhere, I can't say where though. I DID have to do it by calling in and the fees were waived for calling in SINCE it was an open jaw and not bookable online
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I've done open jaws, many people have, I THINK it is noted in the T&C somewhere, I can't say where though. I DID have to do it by calling in and the fees were waived for calling in SINCE it was an open jaw and not bookable online
I think the open jaw has to be in and out of the same zone. BRU is zone 1; FCO is zone 2.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Exp, MR Gold, Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by HilFly
I think the open jaw has to be in and out of the same zone. BRU is zone 1; FCO is zone 2.
Yeah, that's the word the CSR gave me.

OT to this thread, but anybody have any suggestions for me? Was planning on doing a summer trip going from Brussels, through France, down to Italy. Maybe instead of ending in Rome, end in Venice and take a train to Zurich to fly out of there (so flights stay within zone 1).
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by HilFly
Yeah, that's the word the CSR gave me.
Did you ask if they can just bill it as the more expensive zone? I'm surprised they wouldn't want to allow that.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:02 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
FYI, I saw it mentioned once earlier in this thread, though I'm not sure it was confirmed, not only can you do a typical open jaw, but I had no problem booking an itinerary of BOS-LHR-AUH and return of DXB-LHR-ATL, so you can basically do two one-ways, as long as the cities on each end are in the same zone. In my case I did it not because of any desire to fly in and out of those cities, but rather they were the only cities in the US with the availability in F on the dates I wanted.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob

The requirement that open jaw redemptions must be within the same zone is in the general Executive Club Conditions which are incorporated by the Chase Travel Together Ticket conditions:
15.Any use of the voucher and/or use of BA Miles must be in accordance with the BA Executive Club Terms and Conditions.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_us

13.15 Award tickets are subject to IATA fare construction rules. Travel itineraries for Award bookings may start and end at different airports within the same country, or in different countries, provided the two airports are in the same zone. Outbound journeys may terminate at a different airport to the airport where the return journey starts provided the two airports are within the same zone. The different zones are listed in the redemption mileage calculator table on ba.com.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel.../public/en_us?

Since you are using a 241 you need to book a return ticket and so your open jaw must be in the same zone, if you weren't using a 241 you could just book two one way awards.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Did you ask if they can just bill it as the more expensive zone? I'm surprised they wouldn't want to allow that.
I asked when I booked my voucher trip, and the answer was no-you can't book into one zone and
out of another, even if you offer to pay the higher zone charge in miles.

To me, this is a dumb rule as it gets BA nothing, however it's their ball.

As for the T&Cs, the ones when I got my Chase card said vouchers had to be used on "Return Trips", which I think means RTs. So to me getting an open jaw at all was a break, though it's common practice at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.