Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase BA Companion Ticket $30,000 Spend

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by W-B
I had to book on the phone because the system wouldn't let me book an overnight stay in London.
Huh? Stopovers have always been bookable online in the past. It would not be good if that was no longer something you could do without agent intervention.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold, BA Exec
Check the website for your insurer. I pay both auto and homeowners w/ credit card.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 4:42 pm

The fee for booking via a real person was waived because I couldn't do it online.

I would have rather booked it myself than to have called.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
I am trying to make a relatively simple return trip in F using my companion voucher. My husband and I are listed together in our household account, so when I click on "redeem" for my voucher, it automatically selects both of our names. However, I am taking my mom on this trip instead of my husband, and I'm not sure how to change this. If I try to just make a booking for myself, it won't let me use the companion voucher.

I don't think I should have to call in for this one since it's a simple itinerary! (ORD to CDG w/stopover in London)

Last edited by blase; Dec 15, 2010 at 2:00 pm
Old Dec 15, 2010, 2:07 pm

I had the same issue last month. If you have a household account and want to use your companion voucher with someone who is not in your household account, you have to do it by phone. I confirmed this with BA.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I had the same issue last month. If you have a household account and want to use your companion voucher with someone who is not in your household account, you have to do it by phone. I confirmed this with BA.
I actually thought to add her to my household account and see if that would work (you can add up to 6 people), and it does. It was fine because she didn't have an Exec Club # yet, nor any miles obviously, so I "nominated" her and it sent her an email for her to confirm.

The only thing is I sort of want this trip to be a surprise for her; I still don't think she has any idea what is up, but she was sure asking me a lot of questions today!!
Old Dec 16, 2010, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
open jaw

I had to do an open jaw routing, going from SFO to BOM and back from DEL to SFO.

Of course, an LHR stopover was both visible and bookable online, but the open jaw didn't work, so had to call.

but, on the phone, managed to get 2 (actually 4) F seats ex SFO/ORD with stopover in LHR to BOM, and back from DEL. !!! :-)

While I didn't have to pay the booking fee for calling, I of course HAD to pay about 800$ a ticket in taxes, fuel surcharges, etc. Ouch, but heck, didn't pay for the miles and use the companion vouchers for each ticket pair.

Cost for EACH of the F tickets from SFO to BOM/DEL, 15,500$. :-)

Nice use of the companion cert, IMHO
Old Dec 16, 2010, 7:09 am

F

Originally Posted by lifescool
Seriously 30K for a companion ticket. I think it is a bit too expensive. I think there are other better deals that one can avail like the big payout on BA Credit Cards or AA Credit Cards
I just used my companion ticket for a 16K$ F ticket ex usa to India, round trip with LHR stopover. Seemed like a pretty good deal all things considered.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum, AA Gold
Is it worth it if I live in NYC?

My sincerest apologies if this has been answered definitely in previous posts but I cannot see it. Being that I live in NYC, and the JFK, LGA, and EWR are the only airports I fly out of, I am hoping someone can offer advise if spending 30k on the BA Chase card is really worth it for the companion ticket.

As far as I know, every single flight that I take going anywhere in the world on BA metal requires me to stop off in London, generating super high taxes and fees for me, I think somewhere in the tune of $360 for rd trip.

I understand that there is high value in the companion ticket, esp if I do a business class ticket or first class ticket, but my alternative is to use BA miles (or even miles from another airline) on partner airlines, that may land me a direct flight to my final destination. Just as a simple example, JFK to HKG, I can use cathay for direct, which comes to about $360 for 2 tickets in taxes n fees on award flight.

So I guess my question is... are there any flights that depart NYC that do not require me to stop off in London on BA metal? If yes, then what are the routes, as this would answer my initial question of is it worth it (yes).
Old Dec 16, 2010, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cybaslacka
My sincerest apologies if this has been answered definitely in previous posts but I cannot see it. Being that I live in NYC, and the JFK, LGA, and EWR are the only airports I fly out of, I am hoping someone can offer advise if spending 30k on the BA Chase card is really worth it for the companion ticket.
Not sure what living in NYC has to do with anything?
But, as to your question, it all depends on where you plan to fly and in what class. First of all, you can't use the companion cert on any other airline.
If you want to fly BA First, you are getting two $15K-$18K tickets for 150K in miles and $1,000 in taxes/fees when you fly BA. Still a pretty good deal to me. It's not like the companion ticket is costing you $30K. If you spend that kind of volume in a short period of time, presumably you're charging it on a CC anyway... may as well be on the card where you get the best bang for your miles.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Not sure what living in NYC has to do with anything?
But, as to your question, it all depends on where you plan to fly and in what class. First of all, you can't use the companion cert on any other airline.
If you want to fly BA First, you are getting two $15K-$18K tickets for 150K in miles and $1,000 in taxes/fees when you fly BA. Still a pretty good deal to me. It's not like the companion ticket is costing you $30K. If you spend that kind of volume in a short period of time, presumably you're charging it on a CC anyway... may as well be on the card where you get the best bang for your miles.
I don't think one is getting an F (ball park 15K) ticket for 150K, are they?

update: I'm wrong, yes 150K gets you to london from nyc.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I don't think one is getting an F (ball park 15K) ticket for 150K, are they?
update: I'm wrong, yes 150K gets you to london from nyc.
And from SFO or any other NA gateway. Taxes/fees are ridiculous but $1,400 and 150K for two RT First is still pretty good.

Old Dec 16, 2010, 8:50 pm

Yes, 150,000 miles and a companion voucher will get two people from SFO to LHR. And beyond, to Belgium, France, Switzerland, Germany, and even Luxemburg.

Yes, miles and vouchers are worth more to folks on the US west coast than their east coast counterparts.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:10 am

indeed

indeed folks, as I noted.

I hadn't reviewed the entire global awards page, just having had the experience getting two F tickets to BOM/DEL from SFO for either 180K business, or 270K F (which is what I chose) I didn't think 150 was still around for 2010 for just the LHR leg.

As I noted I think in this thread, yep taxes (fuel surcharges more than anything) cost me about 800$ a ticket from SFO (don't know why it was 1000$ a ticket from ORD though) but yes, for 800$ a ticket getting what is essentially a 15K ticket is fine.

And, I saved 30% of the miles too (and heck, MIGHT even get 20% back if that puppy works out)
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:42 am

Redeem companion cert with Chase card only?

I have a BA/Chase card and I earned the companion certificate. My annual renewal is approaching. I dont want to pay the annual fee, so I'm thinking about closing the account. When you redeem the Chase companion certificate, does anyone know if you have to charge the taxes/fees on the Chase/BA card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.