Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase BA Companion Ticket $30,000 Spend

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold, BA Exec
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
It's in numerous places: repeated several times here on this board, it's in the T&C's when you go to BA.com and click on the link to the Chase BA credit card, it's in the materials which came with the credit card. It's VERY specific: "Travel on franchise, codeshare or alliance airlines is not permitted" (from the BA website).
Travel would be on BA, not "franchise,codeshare or alliance airlines....", just using AA miles.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
New BA code shares on BA award tickets?

On a related subject, the new BA/AA alliance allows us to purchase BA code shares on the BA site, e.g. SAN-LAX has a BA number, and I can book SAN-LAX-LHR.

Is it possible to have BA reward tickets issued SAN-LHR via LAX citing two BA flight numbers? The BA site doesn't seem to allow this ("BA doesn't fly this route") - or has it not yet been upgraded?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:06 pm
nsr

Originally Posted by specs
Travel would be on BA, not "franchise,codeshare or alliance airlines....", just using AA miles.
The companion certificate is issued by the BAEC and you apply it from your BAEC account. So, I see no way you can redeem AA miles (even for a BA flight) and apply at the same time the certificate.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
The rules are pretty simple- it's good when using BA miles from a BA Executive Club account for travel on BA flights. No matter how you want to interpret it, it's not good for using AA miles on BA flights, AA miles on AA flights, BA miles on AA flights, BA codeshares, AA codeshares - in short travel using the companion certificate can have nothing to do with AA.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I was able to use 2 vouchers to fly four of us from NYC to France next summer.

When booking on the phone, I was told each ticket is subject to a $70 fee for any changes. Anyone else been told this information?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by hbr245b
I was able to use 2 vouchers to fly four of us from NYC to France next summer.

When booking on the phone, I was told each ticket is subject to a $70 fee for any changes. Anyone else been told this information?
Sounds like they may be referring to the normal phone fee for changes to award bookings:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...=searchResults
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Sounds like they may be referring to the normal phone fee for changes to award bookings:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...=searchResults
Thank you for pointing that out.

I made a change today (only LCY available at time of booking and now LHR availablity has opened up!) and was told that I had to phone back after the weekend as "London would have to recalculate the taxes".

Is there a difference in taxes between LCY & LHR flights to/from JFK?

Maddening.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:26 am

False Hope?

I just met the $30K spend threshold in a statement dated 2 days ago. I was hoping to combine the companion certificate with the 20% mileage rebate that I was targeted with and expires Nov. 28. Any chance that I'll get the cert posted before the end of the month?

I'm debating booking a trip to take advantage of the rebate and using the companion cert later but am unsure.

I have about 180K miles and am thinking Turkey, South Africa, or Maldives and would like to fly business.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by A-Game
I just met the $30K spend threshold in a statement dated 2 days ago. I was hoping to combine the companion certificate with the 20% mileage rebate that I was targeted with and expires Nov. 28. Any chance that I'll get the cert posted before the end of the month?

I'm debating booking a trip to take advantage of the rebate and using the companion cert later but am unsure.

I have about 180K miles and am thinking Turkey, South Africa, or Maldives and would like to fly business.
It was posted to my BA account 2 days after I reached the $30,000 threshold. Keep in mind it doesn't appear in your list of transactions on the BA website. After logging on to BAEC, on the Manage My Account page, under "You Options" there will be a line titled "My e-vouchers" and that is where it will show.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
It was posted to my BA account 2 days after I reached the $30,000 threshold. Keep in mind it doesn't appear in your list of transactions on the BA website. After logging on to BAEC, on the Manage My Account page, under "You Options" there will be a line titled "My e-vouchers" and that is where it will show.
So there is hope! However, I just called BA and they said that they 20% rebate can't be combined with the companion certificate. Can anyone confirm this?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:25 am

companion ticket requirements

When I booked my Companion ticket this week, the agent told me that only a household member could travel with me. This didn't seem right to me, but since Mr. W-B is my companion and we have a household account, I didn't worry. But I just checked and she was wrong:

"Companions do not have to be named within a BA Executive Club Household Account. Members can choose to take anyone as a Companion on their Redemption Voucher booking."

I have to admit that I had trouble getting availability and ended up with dates and flights that weren't what we wanted, but we do get there. Now I wonder if since she goofed up on the requirements, could she also have goofed up on availability? Or is that pretty obvious to agents? I had to book on the phone because the system wouldn't let me book an overnight stay in London.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:29 am

Seriously 30K for a companion ticket. I think it is a bit too expensive. I think there are other better deals that one can avail like the big payout on BA Credit Cards or AA Credit Cards
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:02 am

We are using BA credit cards for the free companion ticket. If you routinely spend at least $30,000 on your credit card in a year and get a free companion ticket in return, how is this a bad deal? We both have BA credit cards and thus both can earn companion tickets.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lifescool
Seriously 30K for a companion ticket. I think it is a bit too expensive.
For round trip TATL First Class? I think not.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Never had a problem with hitting $30k by just using the card for everything we'd normally buy, and never had to buy anything we'd not already planned to buy. But then we do charge EVERYTHING POSSIBLE - food; clothing; travel; car expenses; any standing monthly bills where credit cards are accepted; property taxes; any income taxes owed. If it can be charged, we charge it. HOWEVER, the key is paying your bill off in full every month. If you start to get into paying interest, then the card is a mug's game!

I only wish:

a) We could afford to spend more on my card, so we could get a companion ticket each. I only put about $5k a year on mine and we use the wife's daily.

b) Some of the expenses where they don't accept credit cards for payment, would - our car insurance is a good example of one that would net us a couple of thousand miles yearly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.