Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase BA Companion Ticket $30,000 Spend

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Bronze, BA AMEX
I have a snail mail flier for a special offer that for next 3 months you get double miles (2.5 per $) on gas & groceries. This flier also mentions the companion voucher and has some detailed T&C in the small print.

It specifically says:

All travel must originate in and return to the US.

That would seem to suggest open jaw is fine as long as you stay in the US. e.g. out from JFK back to BOS.

From what I can see the T&C are exactly the same as the UK AMEX 2for1 voucher which I used when I lived in the UK. The only difference is travel is ex/return US not UK.

The interesting thing is, the open jaw possibilities are more interesting for the US version as there are so many more airports in the US that BA fly to than in the UK.

I HAVE in the past used this voucher to book different classes. e.g. I used the miles sale and the voucher in November 2008 to book my honeymoon LHR-NBO out in First and back in WT (Club was sold out )
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Does the companion also have to pay fuel surcharges?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:35 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Does the companion also have to pay fuel surcharges?
Of course - no commercial bookings are exempt from the YQ.

The companion voucher simply allows two people to fly for half the normally required mileage - all the usual taxes, fees and charges applicable to an award still apply.
Old May 16, 2010, 8:56 pm

confused about the OW

If the terms and conditions say that you must originate in and return to the US - how would you do a OW?

My specific desire here is that if a OW is required, can I do a OW + companion back TO the US... has anyone done a OW back as opposed to a OW out of the US?
Old Jun 5, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Di, AA Plat, Hyatt Glb
Originally Posted by ba.com helper
Hi all,

As promised, I wanted to let you know that the BA Visa Signature companion redemption vouchers have begun posting to Executive Club accounts. Although this benefit only became available in November 2009, we will reward those loyal BA Visa Signature card holders that spent $30K between January and December 2009 as a token of our appreciation and thanks. Those cardholders who qualified from 2009 spend are beginning to receive their online vouchers.

Use your BA Visa Signature card for all your spending in 2010 and qualify for the companion redemption voucher as soon as you spend $30k this year. Enjoy.

Kind regards,

Dilly
Thanks Dilly I got mine for 2009 on 4/18.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Ticket Value

I'm probably going to end up about 5k short of 30k spend for the free companion ticket. My question is how much would you value the free companion ticket. I would be flying from New York to Tel Aviv with coach one way and first one way. I'm prepared to find ways to spend the last 5k but was wondering how other FT'ers would value the companion ticket for this itinerary. With BA's large fuel surcharges and being forced to use BA metal for the route I was valuing the companion ticket as 300-400 dollars. I'm not the person who would ever spend the money on first and would prob. fly coach and spend the savings on the trip itself.@:-)

I know that every time these valuation questions arise, the response goes along the lines of "Whatever you value it as". I'm looking for other ppl's valuation. I already gave my own but am afraid that a RT BA first ticket might be worth a bit more.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 7:18 pm

I'm pretty sure I've crossed the $30K mark this year (details below from BA account) - when should I expect to see this companion award on my BAEC page? I'm looking to book a trip for next spring and would love to use this!

10-Jun-10 12-Jun-10 Finance Card - BA VISA NON BA SPEND 0 8,523
10-May-10 12-May-10 Finance Card - BA VISA NON BA SPEND 0 8,518
09-Apr-10 11-Apr-10 Finance Card - BA VISA NON BA SPEND 0 7,032
10-Mar-10 12-Mar-10 Finance Card - BA VISA NON BA SPEND 0 5,148
10-Feb-10 12-Feb-10 Finance Card - BA VISA NON BA SPEND 0 8,334
10-Jan-10 12-Jan-10 Finance Card - BA VISA NON BA SPEND 0 4,886
Old Jun 19, 2010, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by jtrain73
I'm pretty sure I've crossed the $30K mark this year (details below from BA account) - when should I expect to see this companion award on my BAEC page? I'm looking to book a trip for next spring and would love to use this!

Sign into your Chase online account and send an email to Chase CS. Ask them to confirm whether you have reached the 30K spend. Takes them 4 hrs to get back with you. Once they respond, you'll have something in writing and I believe it will take you 6-8 weeks to show up in your BAEC account as a certificate.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob

Some of your January posting of miles may be for december 2009 spending.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, AA Plat, Marriott LT P, IHG Diamond Amb

As a personal example, I surpassed 30k on 11 May and the certificate posted on 18 June. If you want to know for sure about your spending, you'll just have to get the calculator out to separate '09 and '10 spending.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, AA Plat, Marriott LT P, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by littlemookie
I'm probably going to end up about 5k short of 30k spend for the free companion ticket. My question is how much would you value the free companion ticket. I would be flying from New York to Tel Aviv with coach one way and first one way. I'm prepared to find ways to spend the last 5k but was wondering how other FT'ers would value the companion ticket for this itinerary. With BA's large fuel surcharges and being forced to use BA metal for the route I was valuing the companion ticket as 300-400 dollars. I'm not the person who would ever spend the money on first and would prob. fly coach and spend the savings on the trip itself.@:-)

I know that every time these valuation questions arise, the response goes along the lines of "Whatever you value it as". I'm looking for other ppl's valuation. I already gave my own but am afraid that a RT BA first ticket might be worth a bit more.
This isn't the answer to your question but RT in CW sounds better for a combined 13 hour flight than it does in WT. Also when it's the same point amount for you.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:32 pm

Programs: no status
I've surpassed 30K on May 12 2010 and have not gotten any cert yet, since then I've been waiting.

I called BA, she said wait for another week.
emailing chase now.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 9:17 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Di, AA Plat, Hyatt Glb
Originally Posted by northshorepa
As a personal example, I surpassed 30k on 11 May and the certificate posted on 18 June. If you want to know for sure about your spending, you'll just have to get the calculator out to separate '09 and '10 spending.
Hi North Shore and thanks for the helpful message.

Apologies in advance for being pedantic but I am trying to book a 2-4-1 flight departing 14 July.

Was 11 May your statement closing date or the date your spending actually hit $30k?

Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JAXBA

Of course - no commercial bookings are exempt from the YQ.

The companion voucher simply allows two people to fly for half the normally required mileage - all the usual taxes, fees and charges applicable to an award still apply.
I see my certificate in my BAEC account, but why are there fuel surcharges when fuel prices are not high? They probably had post-crash fuel surcharges when oil dropped to $30/barrel.

Last edited by nologic; Jul 2, 2010 at 8:46 pm
Old Jul 7, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, AAdvantage 1MM, Bonvoy, Hilton, IHG, Emerald (National), BA Emirates
Originally Posted by northshorepa
Do you get anything "in hand" to study the T&C? Or can you refer me to a link?

I will make the $30k mark with my July or August statement (haven't teased out exactly what was the 2009 spending on my Jan 2010 statement).

Does it have a "must travel by"? a "must book by"? Ironically, I may need to slow down, if it does... our daughter has added the birth of our first grandchild to our social calendar (mid-November) - - so we might not want to use this until Sep 2011 (not interested in travel during the baby's first six months - - and don't like travel in July or August all that much).

And seats are still more plentiful 330 days out, aren't they?

Sorry I sound like a "not-very-frequent" traveler. I never belonged to BAEC before this Chase promo, and only flew BA once or twice before (no idea what i did about those miles, over a decade ago - - could it be that I credited them to my AAdvantage account?)

Kinda weird to start at "square one" in a new FF program with 130,000+ miles (and 2-for-1, on top of that!)

I hope Chase thinks they got good bang for whatever bucks they paid to BA for "borrowing" my loyalty for about 6 or 7 months (after all, I'll be going right back to AmEx Membership Miles, once this award is in my pocket).

They did have to pay SOMEthing to BA to put this deal together, didn't they?

Since BA could be out of pocket close to TWO seats at $5000 USD or more, surely they had to get something in return! Does anyone know what kind of corporate negotiating these promotions will typically involve?

Rex, in the midwest...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.