Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

New First National Bank of Omaha AGR Card Discussion [Sept 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paytonc
Account ownership transfers from BoA to FNBO on 10/21/2022, new cards go into effect on 10/23/2022

Differences between Preferred cards

Issuing bank
Bank of America -> FNB Omaha

Annual fee
$79 -> $99

Amtrak spend earnings
3/$1 -> unchanged

Travel spend earnings
2/$1 (category list) -> Unchanged
added categories include limo/taxis, rideshare, local transit agencies, road tolls/parking, and timeshares

Dining spend earnings
1/$1 -> 2/$1
includes bars, fast food

Everyday spend earnings
1/$1 -> unchanged

TQP earnings
1000 TQPs/$5000, limit 4000/year -> same earnings, no limit?

Amtrak onboard dining rebate
20% -> unchanged

AGR redemption point rebate
5% -> unchanged

Annual perks
Companion pass + 2 one-way upgrade certificates -> Adds lounge pass, now 1 round-trip upgrade certificate

MasterCard tier
World -> unchanged

Foreign transaction fee
None -> Not mentioned in T&C

Print Wikipost

New First National Bank of Omaha AGR Card Discussion [Sept 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2023, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by discocoaster
I applied and even though I removed all my credit freezes it still didn't give me an answer immediately, instead I received a message that the application was processing and I will receive an answer within 10-14 days. Odd, did anyone else not get an immediate answer?
I applied today, and got the same message.

Update: approved later in the day.

Last edited by g289t; Mar 17, 2023 at 9:56 pm
Old Mar 17, 2023, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I pleaded with people on the various Amtrak Facebook pages to not get the card from the new bank with a 20,000 point bonus last fall when it came out. I suggested that in time a better bonus would appear. Most of those that ran to the 20k bonus weren't smart. They were in a rush to get the 20k bonus, and some posters made fun of me for telling them to wait.

I hate being right, but those that got 20k are feeling the pain now. Hello 40,000 points.

dh
Old Mar 18, 2023, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I hate being right, but those that got 20k are feeling the pain now. Hello 40,000 points.
I’m not one of those people, but I am curious how much we know about the churnability of the FNBO cards. (Might not be the optimal move because Chase 5/24 yadda yadda.)
Old Mar 18, 2023, 5:38 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
Originally Posted by discocoaster
I applied and even though I removed all my credit freezes it still didn't give me an answer immediately, instead I received a message that the application was processing and I will receive an answer within 10-14 days. Odd, did anyone else not get an immediate answer?
Applied today and got an even more foreboding “5-6 weeks” timeframe for a decision on my card application!

Update: Received a letter in the mail about 10 days later asking for copies of ID and tax documents. My application was approved approximately 5 days after mailing them in the information requested.

Last edited by progapanda; Apr 5, 2023 at 8:13 am
Old Mar 30, 2023, 6:47 pm

App has been pending for several days? Should I be nervous???
Old Mar 31, 2023, 7:06 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, BOA Travel Visa,
No, mine was to then they called me about a credit freeze I had at Experian. It was approved shortly there after.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by mileshound
App has been pending for several days? Should I be nervous???
I applied for the 2nd card late Wednesday evening. It is still pending today, the 2nd full day. I called a couple hours ago. The agent just said that it's pending and to wait.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 5:42 pm

It took 8 days but finally got the approval. How long does it take for the certificates to appear in the account?:
Old Apr 7, 2023, 4:44 am

Does anyone have a sense of the timetable for the 20% rebate for Amtrak cafe purchases? I made a purchase on March 20 and still have not received the 20% back. This is a lot longer than the first time, which was two days, immediately after the transition to FNBO. Thanks.

April 18 update. The 20% rebate for this purchase (made on March 20) has just posted to my account.

Last edited by rewindrw; Apr 18, 2023 at 10:36 am
Old Apr 7, 2023, 9:34 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rewindrw
Does anyone have a sense of the timetable for the 20% rebate for Amtrak cafe purchases? I made a purchase on March 20 and still have not received the 20% back. This is a lot longer than the first time, which was two days, immediately after the transition to FNBO. Thanks.
I made some cafe purchases last night, so I will let you know when my rebate posts.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Hilton Honors
With the BofA card, the 20% "rebate" appeared as a credit on the next statment (the same statement as the purchase).
I haven't made such a purchase since the change to FNBO.

Last edited by FrensicPic; Apr 10, 2023 at 7:42 am Reason: added info
Old Apr 11, 2023, 5:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Can you get the rebate using Apple Pay in the cafe? I always forget to grab the card before a train trip.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by mileshound
It took 8 days but finally got the approval. How long does it take for the certificates to appear in the account?:
The certificates were in my Amtrak account a few days after the card was approved. I don't know exactly when they appeared because I wasn't checking every day.
Old May 24, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Does anybody have a data point on the $5000 spend/1k TQP incentive not having a limit? Yeah, this actually matters...if I can mostly spend my way back to Select Plus/Select Executive, it affects the calculus both for handling tickets with points vs cash spend and whether the AGR card resides in a sock drawer for the next seven months or becomes a frequently used card for me. In terms of un-bonused spend, AGR points right now compete with...most other cards, really...for not-bonused spend. Heck, I'd have to do some scratch pad math to compare 2 AGR points with 3 Chase points on the dining front. The issue on Amtrak has been needing cash spend to retain status...

...but a lot of programs are moving away from focusing exclusively on with-the-company spend and towards counting CC spend in some manner (e.g. Hyatt's two night credits for each $5000 in CC spend, AA and B6 more-or-less totally integrating CC spend as part of their program), so this wouldn't be shocking.
Old May 28, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Does anybody have a data point on the $5000 spend/1k TQP incentive not having a limit? Yeah, this actually matters...if I can mostly spend my way back to Select Plus/Select Executive, it affects the calculus both for handling tickets with points vs cash spend and whether the AGR card resides in a sock drawer for the next seven months or becomes a frequently used card for me. In terms of un-bonused spend, AGR points right now compete with...most other cards, really...for not-bonused spend. Heck, I'd have to do some scratch pad math to compare 2 AGR points with 3 Chase points on the dining front. The issue on Amtrak has been needing cash spend to retain status...

...but a lot of programs are moving away from focusing exclusively on with-the-company spend and towards counting CC spend in some manner (e.g. Hyatt's two night credits for each $5000 in CC spend, AA and B6 more-or-less totally integrating CC spend as part of their program), so this wouldn't be shocking.
I got a fifth thousand TQP last month (and might well have gotten one last year through a bug that counted some BofA spend as FNBO spend). I've got far more AGR points than I can plausibly use, so I'm going back to my Flying Blue card for Plastiq (for which a Mastercard is useful), but I'm keeping the Amtrak card in the wallet as my Mastercard until October rolls around (when I'll be working toward the 60 Flying Blue XP with that card).

I don't expect to put enough on the Amtrak card to get Select Plus, except if combined with some possible cash AMTK travel later this year (though if that travel won't get me Select Plus, I may finally start burning AGR points).

At this point, we have AMTK/B6/AA allowing unbounded elite credit from a single credit card, and UA/DL counting award travel (the miles redeemed for which are likely mostly received from credit card spend: claims about the provenance of overall mile balances notwithstanding) equivalently to cash for elite credit, on top of the hotel programs largely doing both... I don't think this genie is going back in the bottle for decades as a lasting scar from the pandemic era.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.