Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

New First National Bank of Omaha AGR Card Discussion [Sept 2022]

Old Sep 13, 2022, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paytonc
Account ownership transfers from BoA to FNBO on 10/21/2022, new cards go into effect on 10/23/2022

Differences between Preferred cards

Issuing bank
Bank of America -> FNB Omaha

Annual fee
$79 -> $99

Amtrak spend earnings
3/$1 -> unchanged

Travel spend earnings
2/$1 (category list) -> Unchanged
added categories include limo/taxis, rideshare, local transit agencies, road tolls/parking, and timeshares

Dining spend earnings
1/$1 -> 2/$1
includes bars, fast food

Everyday spend earnings
1/$1 -> unchanged

TQP earnings
1000 TQPs/$5000, limit 4000/year -> same earnings, no limit?

Amtrak onboard dining rebate
20% -> unchanged

AGR redemption point rebate
5% -> unchanged

Annual perks
Companion pass + 2 one-way upgrade certificates -> Adds lounge pass, now 1 round-trip upgrade certificate

MasterCard tier
World -> unchanged

Foreign transaction fee
None -> Not mentioned in T&C

Print Wikipost

New First National Bank of Omaha AGR Card Discussion [Sept 2022]

Old Oct 23, 2022, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by milespoints
Haha. I actually did the same with Goo Gone.
Rubbing alcohol also cleans it up nicely.

Re the comment above about the card being flimsy, that seems to be SOP for a lot of cards these days. Both REI & Banana Republic switched banks recently & in each case the new cardmade of recycled plasticis very light. Like the FNBO card, the new REI card also lacks a signature panel.

I think were just seeing another step in the evolution of credit cards. With Apple Pay, Google Pay, PayPal, etc. etc. the physical manifestation of the account is becoming less and less relevant.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
I think were just seeing another step in the evolution of credit cards. With Apple Pay, Google Pay, PayPal, etc. etc. the physical manifestation of the account is becoming less and less relevant.
This is very true. Im finding that most days my wallet almost never leaves my pocket and that for most payments Im either using my Fitbit or my iPhone. A couple weeks ago I left for work and realized that I had left my wallet at home and didnt bother to go back for it since I pay for my metro ride (and almost everything else) using my iPhone.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 11:43 am

Didn't love having to wait on hold for 10 minutes to talk to a live agent just to add this card to Apple Pay. No other card of mine has required that.

Any confirmation on whether there is a fee for international transactions?

Thanks,
D
Old Oct 24, 2022, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by dwan
Didn't love having to wait on hold for 10 minutes to talk to a live agent just to add this card to Apple Pay. No other card of mine has required that.

Any confirmation on whether there is a fee for international transactions?

Thanks,
D
Thats weird. How did you add the card to Apple Pay? I added it through the FNBO app and didnt have to call in. I did have to call in though to add my card to Fitbit Pay.

There are no foreign transaction fees according to the promo page on Amtraks site https://www.amtrak.com/guestrewards/...KPreferred-AGR
Old Oct 24, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Hilton Honors
Apply here...
https://www.amtrak.com/guestrewards/...L3CQ-0d96tXn0U
Old Oct 24, 2022, 12:33 pm

Thanks for the forex info!

I added the card by tapping the plus button in the Wallet, then scanning the card. Guess I should have used the app.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 1:29 pm

I closed the bofa card last week, logged in today and see all my points (earned only from the card) are gone! never had this before for any rewards account, is this expected?
Old Oct 24, 2022, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
OK. So, I applied online today for the preferred card and was approved. But with a credit limit much higher than what I wanted. The real kicker... they never once asked for my AGR number! WTH???

I hope they aren't automatically issuing people new AGR numbers, and then we have to clean this up later. Not off to a promising start. Are the people who had their cc accounts converted over from BofA seeing their AGR number in FNBO's system?

Last edited by Fanjet; Oct 26, 2022 at 1:16 am
Old Oct 24, 2022, 9:35 pm

Downgrade DP

I'm thinking about signing up for the $95 version, but I'm likely to downgrade at the one year point. DoC reports FNBO doesn't do downgrades. Anyone able to drop to the no annual fee card?
Old Oct 25, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Hoping its just a system glitch. Made a payment yesterday. No longer shows in the payment history or pending.....and it still shows that I have a payment due. Not impressed with this new bank or its website at all.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by rune87
Not impressed with this new bank or its website at all.
It feels as if Im back in 1994 using Netscape on a dialup connection. Just a laughably antiquated site.
Tanic likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I had both of the versions of the BofA cards and tried to cancel them before the switch to FNBO, but was too late. Received the new FNBO cards in the mail and cancelled both accounts before activating them. Seems like there are not many DPs about FNBO churnability, but my plan is to wait about 30 days and then reapply for the new card outright to get the 30K signup bonus.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: MB, AGR, AA
Finally got around to activating the new FNBO card, creating my online account, adding the new app to my phone, adding the new card to my phone's wallet, and making a test purchase. Everything worked without any issues.

For the test purchase, I made an international purchase via paypal. Everything went as expected except FNBO's conversion from pound sterling to US dollars was MORE expensive than paypal's internal conversion rate. This is the first card I've ever used for an non-US dollar purchase where the card's conversion did not beat paypal's conversion rate. The difference was small -- about $2.25 on a 176 purchase -- but unexpected. I double-checked the same scenario with one of my Chase cards and Chase beat paypal by about $3. (I did this double check within five minutes of making the original purchase, so currency fluctuations should not have been an issue.)
beltway and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by beltway
It feels as if Im back in 1994 using Netscape on a dialup connection. Just a laughably antiquated site.
I just tried to set up my online account and kept getting error after error. I had to refresh multiple times and still couldn't get it to work.
This is my first FNBO card and the experience so far has been underwhelming. I'll cancel the card now and wait for a better sign up bonus.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mpeterson78
I had both of the versions of the BofA cards and tried to cancel them before the switch to FNBO, but was too late. Received the new FNBO cards in the mail and cancelled both accounts before activating them. Seems like there are not many DPs about FNBO churnability, but my plan is to wait about 30 days and then reapply for the new card outright to get the 30K signup bonus.
I, too, received the new card despite having cancelled it with BOA. I had assumed FNBO would invalidate my new card after hearing from BOA that it's closed, but your post makes me wonder if they might never get to it and the card would remain open. How did you cancel it with FNBO?

Nice to see the 30k SUB.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.