Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

New First National Bank of Omaha AGR Card Discussion [Sept 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paytonc
Account ownership transfers from BoA to FNBO on 10/21/2022, new cards go into effect on 10/23/2022

Differences between Preferred cards

Issuing bank
Bank of America -> FNB Omaha

Annual fee
$79 -> $99

Amtrak spend earnings
3/$1 -> unchanged

Travel spend earnings
2/$1 (category list) -> Unchanged
added categories include limo/taxis, rideshare, local transit agencies, road tolls/parking, and timeshares

Dining spend earnings
1/$1 -> 2/$1
includes bars, fast food

Everyday spend earnings
1/$1 -> unchanged

TQP earnings
1000 TQPs/$5000, limit 4000/year -> same earnings, no limit?

Amtrak onboard dining rebate
20% -> unchanged

AGR redemption point rebate
5% -> unchanged

Annual perks
Companion pass + 2 one-way upgrade certificates -> Adds lounge pass, now 1 round-trip upgrade certificate

MasterCard tier
World -> unchanged

Foreign transaction fee
None -> Not mentioned in T&C

Print Wikipost

New First National Bank of Omaha AGR Card Discussion [Sept 2022]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2023, 12:35 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by hhdl
I got a fifth thousand TQP last month (and might well have gotten one last year through a bug that counted some BofA spend as FNBO spend). I've got far more AGR points than I can plausibly use, so I'm going back to my Flying Blue card for Plastiq (for which a Mastercard is useful), but I'm keeping the Amtrak card in the wallet as my Mastercard until October rolls around (when I'll be working toward the 60 Flying Blue XP with that card).

I don't expect to put enough on the Amtrak card to get Select Plus, except if combined with some possible cash AMTK travel later this year (though if that travel won't get me Select Plus, I may finally start burning AGR points).

At this point, we have AMTK/B6/AA allowing unbounded elite credit from a single credit card, and UA/DL counting award travel (the miles redeemed for which are likely mostly received from credit card spend: claims about the provenance of overall mile balances notwithstanding) equivalently to cash for elite credit, on top of the hotel programs largely doing both... I don't think this genie is going back in the bottle for decades as a lasting scar from the pandemic era.
Add WN to that list of "allowing unbounded elite credit" - they were arguably way ahead of the game. DL puts a cap on the status credits, but I would argue that the limits are pretty nominal (you can spend your way to Diamond with several CCs).

There are two questions that I think are going to prevail at this point:
-First, to what extent does the trend to being "loyalty programs that happen to fly some planes" continue?
-Second, do airlines, etc. engage in other devaluations (aside from partner redemption rate changes)? WN has done this a few times, but most programs have been keeping the miles-to-cash valuations reasonably steady for the moment.

The two questions are interrelated - if the former remains the case, then there's a strong case against getting too froggy with devaluations - taking steps that screw higher-frequency travelers over isn't great, but if they're tied into CC stuff the way these programs have become, then doing anything to risk causing folks to start closing CC accounts becomes manifestly unwise.
hhdl likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
DL requires both a personal and a business card to get to Diamond. UA I guess does let you get to 1K with just spend (though that's not a permanent thing AFAIK). Elite credit for award redemptions still has a similar effect (and possibly is more favorable for actual flyers: an existing DM who uses the Amex Plat only needs a little more than $17k in spend to hit the new 20k MQD requirement.

Re: devaluations in dollar terms (viz. going from 50k miles to 250k miles for a particular redemption isn't necessarily a devaluation in dollar terms), SkyPesos are arguably the currency to be long, simply because of the credit card Pay With Miles benefit (which can't be enhanced away without 12 month notice as long as Amex is issuing DL cobrands). None of the others really has a CC benefit like that.

I think broadly there's two ways to view programs from the operating providers' (i.e. hotels really don't count, though an FF program which sufficiently decouples from an airline might become more hotel-like) perspective: one is as a financing tool for the travel providers (basically prepayment/layaway buying travel), which corresponds to the WN/AMTK/increasingly DL model and the other is a way to ameliorate RM/network planning errors (pretty much every fixed chart program, the simpler the chart the more this holds). Accumulating miles/points in the latter category is shorting RM/network planning competence, which is probably not a great long term bet, and I think as providers become better at RM etc. part of their improvement will be more of a transition to the former.

There's a parallel to active/passive investing there, probably.

​​​​​​(I am not saying AMTK's management is anywhere near DL/WN... There's potentially a case for them, especially on trains over say 4 hours, that they should consider a fixed award chart for close-in bookings)
Old Jun 17, 2023, 11:28 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Got this email two days ago

As a valued Amtrak Guest Rewards® Mastercard® cardholder, we're rewarding you with a $50 statement credit after you spend $500 on all purchases from July 15, 2023 through August 15, 2023†. That's 10% cashback!
Problem is, when I try to activate, my browser gives up after too many redirects after logging in and never loads the page. Of course, just going into my account doesn't show this promo anywhere. This is in Safari on mobile and desktop.

Anyone else run into this?
Old Jun 18, 2023, 2:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lensovet
[...]
I didn't get the offer, but if I had the problem with activation, I would try a different browser. (I have not found a site that Safari could not handle, but I only try using Safari when Firefox doesn't do the job. Maybe you have the reverse problem.)
Old Jun 19, 2023, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by lensovet
Problem is, when I try to activate, my browser gives up after too many redirects after logging in and never loads the page. Of course, just going into my account doesn't show this promo anywhere. This is in Safari on mobile and desktop.

Same issue, also using Safari.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by beltway
Same issue, also using Safari.
FWIW, I got an email—three of them, actually, one for each click-through—confirming registration for the offer.
timbeaux likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Same, I got two emails yesterday. While I’m no BOA fan, at least their IT was never this bad.
timbeaux likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by murphy
I think the lounge coupon is you and a guest, but I can’t find mine to confirm.

Upgrade coupon is for one person one way:
Might this be changing? From the AGR credit card site:

PLUS, ENJOY THESE ADDITIONAL CARD BENEFITS
ROUND-TRIP COMPANION COUPON
upon card anniversary*

Last edited by The_Rockaway_Kid; Jun 27, 2023 at 1:25 pm Reason: I read OP wrong, but still wanted to leave it. I know I'm wrong.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by The_Rockaway_Kid
Might this be changing? From the AGR credit card site:

PLUS, ENJOY THESE ADDITIONAL CARD BENEFITS
ROUND-TRIP COMPANION COUPON
upon card anniversary*
A "companion coupn" is different from an "upgrade coupon".
SPN Lifer and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
A "companion coupn" is different from an "upgrade coupon".
You're right. But as of last year, I think the companion coupon was for a one-way and not a round trip. the RT is new, I think.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 11:48 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by The_Rockaway_Kid
You're right. But as of last year, I think the companion coupon was for a one-way and not a round trip. the RT is new, I think.
I signed up for the card and received my digital coupons in my account a few days ago. I was a bit surprised to receive double the companion coupons I was expecting, but this would explain it. Note that you do not get a coupon valid for a round trip, but 2 coupons valid for a one way. (so, with the current double coupon new card promo, you get 4... and would then get 2 ow each anniversary year (1 RT)).

Unfortunately, this round-trip language only applies to the companion coupon (by getting 2 ow coupons), NOT the upgrade coupon... no change there.
murphy likes this.

Last edited by schriste; Jun 28, 2023 at 11:54 am
Old Jul 19, 2023, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
So recently signed up for this card as well - mostly for the 30k points offer, among other things.
So you wonder why Amtrak went with this particular financial vendor as it is clearly a low end operation. Both their web site and their app are bare bones at the minimum! I haven't had any functionality issues, but still pretty basic! Well I will enjoy collecting my points! :-)
SPN Lifer and progapanda like this.

Last edited by rittenhousesq; Jul 19, 2023 at 7:04 pm
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:04 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Has anyone tried to use the new Credit card to purchase a drink at the bar in the Moynihan lounge in NYC? I was wondering if that triggers the 20% off discount. The card states "on board purchases" but the charges have appeared on my previous cards I've used as an Amtrak purchase (Amtrak MOY MET BAR). I guess only one way to find out for sure, and I doubt Francis, the omnipresent bartender in the lounge would know.
progapanda likes this.

Last edited by rittenhousesq; Jul 27, 2023 at 2:35 pm Reason: spelling!
Old Jul 26, 2023, 10:57 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Didn't even think to try at the bar. Definitely counts as dining on my go to cards. Would be interesting if it kicked in at the lounge.
rittenhousesq likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Didn't even think to try at the bar. Definitely counts as dining on my go to cards. Would be interesting if it kicked in at the lounge.
Just a quick report and update. Using the new card at the bar at the Moynihan lounge did not trigger the 20% credit (or hasn't yet - a cafe car purchase on the same day has already received the credit).
Too bad - they really should apply a credit for this purchase as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.