Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

New First National Bank of Omaha AGR Card Discussion [Sept 2022]

Old Sep 13, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paytonc
Account ownership transfers from BoA to FNBO on 10/21/2022, new cards go into effect on 10/23/2022

Differences between Preferred cards

Issuing bank
Bank of America -> FNB Omaha

Annual fee
$79 -> $99

Amtrak spend earnings
3/$1 -> unchanged

Travel spend earnings
2/$1 (category list) -> Unchanged
added categories include limo/taxis, rideshare, local transit agencies, road tolls/parking, and timeshares

Dining spend earnings
1/$1 -> 2/$1
includes bars, fast food

Everyday spend earnings
1/$1 -> unchanged

TQP earnings
1000 TQPs/$5000, limit 4000/year -> same earnings, no limit?

Amtrak onboard dining rebate
20% -> unchanged

AGR redemption point rebate
5% -> unchanged

Annual perks
Companion pass + 2 one-way upgrade certificates -> Adds lounge pass, now 1 round-trip upgrade certificate

MasterCard tier
World -> unchanged

Foreign transaction fee
None -> Not mentioned in T&C

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AGR WOH

My USPS Informed Delivery email for today says that I'm receiving a letter with a return address for Amtrak Guest Rewards, PO Box 2656, Omaha NE. That seems to be an address used by First National Bank of Omaha.

Annoyingly, I just noticed that my Bank of America AF posted on 7/30 and so can't be refunded. Guess I'll try to maximize September spend.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 10:54 am

I just received a welcome packet via USPS "introducing" the "Amtrak Guest Rewards Preferred Mastercard". The packet states that I will be automatically getting a new card from First National Bank of Omaha and they are adding two points per dollar for "dining, travel, transit, and rideshare" (I think dining, travel, and rideshare are new). Otherwise the benefits look similar to the Bank of America card.

The new cards will go out starting October 1 - there is no reapplication and no enrollment bonus challenge.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:12 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Wow... This is a step in the wrong direction.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
If I'm not mistaken this is the first FNBO cobrand (at least I don't see any listed on their site).

AF is also going up to $99. It appears that FNBO is acquiring the accounts from BofA.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:27 am

FNBO site: https://www.card.fnbo.com/landing/am...rds/index.html
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:30 am

New card designs (Siemens Charger?):
https://www.card.fnbo.com/images/car...le-cardart.png
Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Very disappointing. Was hoping for Chase, Citi or AMEX to cut down on bank logins each month.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by hhdl
If I'm not mistaken this is the first FNBO cobrand (at least I don't see any listed on their site).

AF is also going up to $99. It appears that FNBO is acquiring the accounts from BofA.
They do have the MGM Rewards MasterCard. Not sure if they have others.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AGR WOH
A Google News search turns up cobrands with Ford, Verizon, BP, Speedy, Sheetz, Ducks Unlimited, and some fintech startups like Hello Alice and Greenlight. Their site claims 250+ partnerships, pointing to Chrysler/Jeep, Scheels, MGM Resorts, Orvis, Mary Kay, and UnionPlus. Kind of weird to go with someone with a big auto and oil/gas portfolio - I know a railfan who shied away from AGR cards with both Chase and BoA cards due to both banks' carbon intensity.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
FNBO at one time had the LaQuinta branded card until Wyndham hijacked that hotel brand and all LaQuinta card holders were forced to go with the Wyndham card issued by Barclays. I was relieved that the Amtrak card was not going in that direction; Barclays handling and customer service is legendary - perhaps infamous would be a better term. I had the LaQuinta card through FNBO and don't recall any particular issues with the bank.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 4:59 pm

Got the letter today as well. Unclear when points stop being earned on the BoA card... end of September? 10/23?

I'm please that they've added dining to the middle tier; I had been using my Amazon Chase for that but will gladly move it to the Amtrak card.

As someone else said, I was hoping for Chase to reduce my logins but I am thrilled to say goodbye to BoA who have been nothing but trouble for me.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 5:00 pm

I could not care less that the new card issuer is FNBO instead of Chase or some other competitor.

I care a lot, however, that they seem to be silently eliminating the 5% rebate benefit on points redemptions. (I read through the paperwork for both cards & am seeing no mention of this existing benefit being retained. LMK if I’m overlooking something.)

Last edited by beltway; Sep 6, 2022 at 6:02 pm Reason: Typo fix
Old Sep 6, 2022, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
I care a lot, however, that they seem to be silently eliminating the 5% rebate benefit on points redemptions. (I read through the paperwork for both cards & am seeing no mention of this existing benefit being retained. LMK if I’m overlooking something.)
Yikes, I don't see anything either. Big loss if that's ending.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Very bizarre. Is Amtrak such a joke that it can't get even one major bank to carry its card?
Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
I didn’t see anything in the packet on how to reject the transfer. Do I just call BOA and cancel?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.