Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

New First National Bank of Omaha AGR Card Discussion [Sept 2022]

Old Sep 13, 2022, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paytonc
Account ownership transfers from BoA to FNBO on 10/21/2022, new cards go into effect on 10/23/2022

Differences between Preferred cards

Issuing bank
Bank of America -> FNB Omaha

Annual fee
$79 -> $99

Amtrak spend earnings
3/$1 -> unchanged

Travel spend earnings
2/$1 (category list) -> Unchanged
added categories include limo/taxis, rideshare, local transit agencies, road tolls/parking, and timeshares

Dining spend earnings
1/$1 -> 2/$1
includes bars, fast food

Everyday spend earnings
1/$1 -> unchanged

TQP earnings
1000 TQPs/$5000, limit 4000/year -> same earnings, no limit?

Amtrak onboard dining rebate
20% -> unchanged

AGR redemption point rebate
5% -> unchanged

Annual perks
Companion pass + 2 one-way upgrade certificates -> Adds lounge pass, now 1 round-trip upgrade certificate

MasterCard tier
World -> unchanged

Foreign transaction fee
None -> Not mentioned in T&C

Print Wikipost

New First National Bank of Omaha AGR Card Discussion [Sept 2022]

Old Oct 30, 2022, 3:25 pm

Has anyone had luck setting your new FNBO account up for Quicken downloads? My setup fails as soon as credentials are submitted, giving error CC-501.
Thanks,
D
Old Oct 30, 2022, 5:45 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by dwan
Has anyone had luck setting your new FNBO account up for Quicken downloads? My setup fails as soon as credentials are submitted, giving error CC-501.
Thanks,
D
I have another FNBO issued card and have never been successful in getting it to set up for Quicken. And I can only download manually to Quicken after each statement closes, no ability to download ongoing posted transactions. Not sure if the website is the same for the Amtrak card, but the one I use looks like vintage 2008 or so.

Also, I'm looking at the landing page for this new one and link to the "Summary of Credit Terms" and am not seeing details on the "Round Trip Companion Coupon" for the AF version...trying to understand if there are restrictions on this, i.e., is it good only on Coach travel?...Sleeper, Acela? I'm probably looking right past it.

Last edited by 84fiero; Oct 30, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Old Oct 30, 2022, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by airfly56
I closed the bofa card last week, logged in today and see all my points (earned only from the card) are gone! never had this before for any rewards account, is this expected?
did you get these back? got my fnbo card but AF is about to post, so looking to cancel but this makes me nervous
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:27 am

Thumbs down No Quicken Direct downloads

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I have another FNBO issued card and have never been successful in getting it to set up for Quicken. And I can only download manually to Quicken after each statement closes, no ability to download ongoing posted transactions. Not sure if the website is the same for the Amtrak card, but the one I use looks like vintage 2008 or so.
Spoke with customer service this morning, who confirmed the same thing: There is no Quicken Direct Connect service, in which one can click a button in Quicken and it downloads and imports all recent transactions. Instead, they offer "Express Web Connect," which, contrary to the name, is a manual, multi-step process, which requires visiting the FNBO website and separately logging in. This will be a deal breaker for me; I haven't encountered a credit card in the last decade that failed to support Quicken Direct Connect, and I won't follow a special process for just one of many accounts. Guess I'll be paying cash for Amtrak travel going forward. What a bummer. It was a good run while it lasted.
milespoints likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by dwan
Spoke with customer service this morning, who confirmed the same thing: There is no Quicken Direct Connect service, in which one can click a button in Quicken and it downloads and imports all recent transactions. Instead, they offer "Express Web Connect," which, contrary to the name, is a manual, multi-step process, which requires visiting the FNBO website and separately logging in. This will be a deal breaker for me; I haven't encountered a credit card in the last decade that failed to support Quicken Direct Connect, and I won't follow a special process for just one of many accounts. Guess I'll be paying cash for Amtrak travel going forward. What a bummer. It was a good run while it lasted.
Thanks for making the call. Amtrak IT is already terrible and I can't imagine having to deal with theirs and FNBO's.
Why not grab one of the many credit cards that offer 2x or 3x points for travel purchases?
Old Oct 31, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by italdesign
I, too, received the new card despite having cancelled it with BOA. I had assumed FNBO would invalidate my new card after hearing from BOA that it's closed, but your post makes me wonder if they might never get to it and the card would remain open. How did you cancel it with FNBO?

Nice to see the 30k SUB.
I just called the 800 number on the back of the card and asked them to close both accounts.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
They sent me a new card even though I canceled with BOA too. When I called the number on the back, they were unable to find my account, and the CSR said it was already canceled by FNBO before it mailed.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Yesterday I tried to puchase an Acela ticket with the new card on the Amtrak app. It worked fine a few days ago. Yesterday I was "declined." That's after spending tens of thousands of dollars on the BoA card with never-a-late-payment and an excellent FICO score. I called the CSR number on the card, and was on hold for 45 minutes ("Due to higher than normal call volume... thank you for your patience!"). Finally I spoke to a representative, and he said an "automated process" had put a hold on my charges while they verify certain transactions. Say what? All I charge on that card is Amtrak tickets, and pay it off every month. Without fail. I explained that if I couldn't charge a ticket right after the call, I'd cancel the card. He said he would put an "exception" on my account to allow charges to resume. All is back to normal now, but this relationship isn't getting off to a good start.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 10:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wxguy
[...]"Due to higher than normal call volume... thank you for your patience!"[...]
When was the last time call volume, anywhere, was normal?
Originally Posted by wxguy
[...]
I explained that if I couldn't charge a ticket right after the call, I'd cancel the card. He said he would put an "exception" on my account to allow charges to resume. [...]
Good for you (seriously), although I wonder if that might be cutting off your nose to spite your face. In a similar situation, I might keep the AGR card and try to use it first for all Amtrak purchases but immediately use a different card if the AGR card fails. If that happened, I might let FNBO that it lost a charge; certainly I would let FNBO know that it had lost charges if I ever needed to call about something else.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: MB, AGR, AA
Just an update after receiving my first FNBO statement where this charge posted. Please ignore my initial posting. The exchange rate is spot on for 2022-10-28. I forgot to factor in PayPal's fees for paying for an item or service. The amount was actually 185.42 with the final amount charged to my card at $215.58, which more or less matches the highest GBP to USD exchange rate for this date.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:43 am

Angry

Originally Posted by airfly56
I closed the bofa card last week, logged in today and see all my points (earned only from the card) are gone! never had this before for any rewards account, is this expected?
I didn't close my boa card, and got the new card already. But all my points are gone too. All the points were from the boa card though. Anyone else has the same issue?

Last edited by justcome; Nov 10, 2022 at 12:10 pm
Old Nov 12, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
For me, the transfer was seamless. The final points from BoA posted as expected and the first points from FNBO have posted. I did suspend using the card for a couple of weeks prior to the cutover but used the new card one day in for chip, tap and Apple Pay transactions with no issues.

Regarding Quicken, no problems there either. Quicken Express Web Connect requires initial setup to be passed to FNBO for user sign in and authorization and then back to Quicken to complete setup. After that, the One-Step download works like all the other One Step banks and is just fine. There is the possibility that FNBO may occasionally require renewed authorization (same with the recent Chase move to Express Web Connect Plus), but so far that has not happened with me.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 3:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Does FNBO require 2FA (two-factor authentication) when one connects to check an account? Does FNBO allow 2FA using email?
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:15 pm

Quicken

Originally Posted by NovaEngr
Regarding Quicken, no problems there either. Quicken Express Web Connect requires initial setup to be passed to FNBO for user sign in and authorization and then back to Quicken to complete setup. After that, the One-Step download works like all the other One Step banks and is just fine. There is the possibility that FNBO may occasionally require renewed authorization (same with the recent Chase move to Express Web Connect Plus), but so far that has not happened with me.
Thank you! I must have selected the wrong First National Bank Omaha from the list. Trying a different one, confirming it results in a fnbo.com domain, did the trick! The CS rep had no knowledge of the Express Web Connect when I inquired, but that's not atypical.

I'm loving the Venn diagram that would show a large intersection of Quicken users, Amtrak Guest Rewards enthusiasts, and forum contributors.

Thanks again for the helpful post!
Old Nov 14, 2022, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Does anyone know if the double points for rail and transit purchases only applies within the U.S., or do things like DeutscheBahn count as well? The benefit terms do not specify.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.