Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

New First National Bank of Omaha AGR Card Discussion [Sept 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paytonc
Account ownership transfers from BoA to FNBO on 10/21/2022, new cards go into effect on 10/23/2022

Differences between Preferred cards

Issuing bank
Bank of America -> FNB Omaha

Annual fee
$79 -> $99

Amtrak spend earnings
3/$1 -> unchanged

Travel spend earnings
2/$1 (category list) -> Unchanged
added categories include limo/taxis, rideshare, local transit agencies, road tolls/parking, and timeshares

Dining spend earnings
1/$1 -> 2/$1
includes bars, fast food

Everyday spend earnings
1/$1 -> unchanged

TQP earnings
1000 TQPs/$5000, limit 4000/year -> same earnings, no limit?

Amtrak onboard dining rebate
20% -> unchanged

AGR redemption point rebate
5% -> unchanged

Annual perks
Companion pass + 2 one-way upgrade certificates -> Adds lounge pass, now 1 round-trip upgrade certificate

MasterCard tier
World -> unchanged

Foreign transaction fee
None -> Not mentioned in T&C

Print Wikipost

New First National Bank of Omaha AGR Card Discussion [Sept 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2023, 7:42 am

Does anyone here have any experience with the options for downgrading or canceling the Amtrak Preferred card(s)? I churned them during the elevated SUB earlier this year. I plan to keep one of them, but the others will need to be PC'd or canceled after a year. I have not found DPs on how this works with FNBO. Do they handle it like most other banks where you wait until the 2nd year AF posts and then cancel? Do you need to cancel before the AF hits, more like Capital One? I would also consider PC'ing to the free version, but they would be useless and I'd rather cancel. I have also seen anecdotal evidence that FNBO does not do PC's.

Is there any experience here with this?
Old Sep 21, 2023, 12:37 am

[][][
g289t likes this.

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 4:07 pm
Old Sep 21, 2023, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
There are several data points, including one from 12/30/22 (post #99), consistently reporting that FNBO doesn’t do product changes. A thread search on “downgrade” will turn them up.
Thank you! Yes it seems that downgrades are not an option.

I guess I'd prefer to cancel anyway, but I see absolutely no DPs about how FNBO handles cancellations for cards with AFs. Do I cancel after the AF posts, like with most cards? Or do I cancel before the AF posts, which exists with some cards but is much less common? This would probably be more FNBO related and not specifically the Amtrak card.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 12:07 am

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Why take the risk? Just cancel the month before it's expected to hit the card and be done with it.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by lensovet
Why take the risk? Just cancel the month before it's expected to hit the card and be done with it.
This is what I'll probably do if I do not find out anything else. I can find zero DPs about the proper way to close FNBO cards with an AF. Different banks handle it differently. If you close an Amex card in less than a year, the SUB will absolutely be clawed back, at least for MR cards, and you'll be on their black list (for any card). Many banks, including Amex, Chase, Citi, and Barclays will refund the AF if you cancel or downgrade within ~30 days of the AF posting, which is the safest way to do it.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Separate and belated topic but I wanted to add a data point: Another thing FNBO won't do is shift credit limit from an existing account to create approval for a new one. I have the no-AF card that migrated over from BofA, and then I applied for the Preferred card during the initial SUB promo last year. I was rejected due to FNBO being unwilling to extend further credit to me (the line on the existing card is quite high due to me shifting limits across a few BofA accounts pre-migration). When I called reconsideration, the rep said there was nothing I could do except cancel the existing card and try again later. So, I'm locked out of any new Amtrak cards.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 7:37 pm

]}]{[

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 4:07 pm
Old Sep 27, 2023, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Thanks, good suggestion if a good SUB becomes available again (this was last year). But I could
imagine FNBO recon not being willing or able to give an exact number that would ensure approval.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 11:14 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
could just cut the limit in half right now to be ready for next time.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 6:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by murphy
Can you get the rebate using Apple Pay in the cafe? I always forget to grab the card before a train trip.
Finally got a chance to try this. Using Apple Pay gets the same points and rebate as the physical card.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite
For new FNBO sign-ups, how quickly do the companion coupons appear in your Amtrak Guest Rewards account?
Old Oct 30, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by number41
For new FNBO sign-ups, how quickly do the companion coupons appear in your Amtrak Guest Rewards account?
Looking at my records, mine posted 4 days after approval.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 5:01 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Also, worth noting the 30k Bonus is back.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 8:39 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
40k Offer Is Back

40K Offer available until the beginning of April at the main application page: https://www.amtrak.com/guestrewards/apply
Long Train Runnin likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 6:34 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, BOA Travel Visa,
This card seems to have trouble holding onto banks. Wonder why? If patters are any indication as to the future of this card with FNBO these offers seem to be attempts to grow the cardholder base. If it's not successful I can see FNBO cancelling the relationship with AGR. BOA did these repeated increased offers but in the end deleted the card from their portfolio. I wonder if FNBO will be doing that also soon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.