Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AA only (2022-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: anabolism
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. "Please call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Summary of Reimbursements.

AMEX AA Reimbursement Approved
  • Admirals Club Memberships
  • Admirals Club Passes
  • Admirals Club Food/Drinks
  • Elite Status Buyback
  • External Reservation Fee
  • Five Star Service
  • MCE/Seat Selection
  • Mileage Multipler
  • Monthly Wifi Subscription through AA
  • Same Day Flight Change
  • Upgrades
  • Baggage
AMEX AA Reimbursement NOT Approved
  • Award Cancellation Fee
  • Close-In Ticket Fee
  • Elite Challenges
  • Gift Cards
  • Inexpensive tickets
  • Infant Fees
  • Miles Purchase from AA.com
  • Wifi (per flight)
50/50 on Whether it gets Approved
  • Award Taxes/Fees
  • Change Fee
  • Pet Fee
  • Upfares

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: Elite Status Buyback: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Gift Cards:
  • No
Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Miles Purchase from AA.com: Monthly AA Wifi Subscription Plan: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit. Monthly Wifi subscription plans through AA appear to be eligible for automatic credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

NOT WORKING: Partial payment by gift card or voucher combined with partial payment by Amex doesn't work. Full payment of a ticket under $100 stopped working sometime in 2020.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

It's the start of a new year, and it's time for a new thread. I am looking forward to more discussion about AA reimbursements in 2022!
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:31 am

Happy New Year Everyone.

As promised, reporting back on my transactions in the original thread.

12/29/2021 $97 for Mileage Multiplier on GC. $211.00 on Platinum for Seat Selection on an International flight coming up.
Both were credited after midnight 12/31-01/01.

Now that I see some are having success getting Cabin Class upgrades as well may try that too with the 2022 Credit(s).

Thanks for the info everyone.

Last edited by Budoka; Jan 1, 2022 at 5:26 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Jan 1, 2022, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
If you have to use mileage multiplier to buy miles at 3cpm, please try not to think that some people recently bought 10 million miles at 0.4cpm, while you did not have the chance. And that will cause soon mile devaluation. Please. It is not good for your inner peace.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
If you have to use mileage multiplier to buy miles at 3cpm, please try not to think that some people recently bought 10 million miles at 0.4cpm, while you did not have the chance. And that will cause soon mile devaluation. Please. It is not good for your inner peace.
I am not sure if they will need to do that; with dynamic pricing, they can raise the number of miles at will and keep them there. Or lower them if there is little demand on a route. From an airline POV it is smart.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:29 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Bought $200 worth of 500-mile upgrades on Jan 4th.

Credited back $200 on Jan 8th.

Still good.
Abidjan likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After I discovered the UA travel bank I am gone, all the AA options are just a ripoff, with the only exception of an upgrade.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:27 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
After I discovered the UA travel bank I am gone, all the AA options are just a ripoff, with the only exception of an upgrade.
Agreed. I got stuck buying 3 lounge day passes on the 29th just to make sure the whole 200 didn't go to waste. Looking to switch my airline choice now.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 5:16 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
I dunno, the monthly AA wiifi pass seems like a good use to me (what I use it for).

Safe Traeels
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are still a regular flier, yes, some things will work better…
Old Jan 15, 2022, 8:44 am

How often can you switch your airline affiliation?

i.e. Can you switch from AA to UA, use your $200 airline credit, wait a month, switch back to AA?
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Global321
Once per year, in January. After that, if you have not used any of the credit, customer service will typically allow another change, but it is an exception to the published terms.
Global321, _kurt and JustWill like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Global321
Once per year, in January. After that, if you have not used any of the credit, customer service will typically allow another change, but it is an exception to the published terms.
Global321 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:03 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Bought six 500 mile upgrades for $240 on 1/14. The $200 reimbursement posted today.
Abidjan likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Looking to upgrade to first class on a domestic flight...any recent data points regarding the Amex fee credit covering this upgrade? Or am I better off buying MCE seats?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 3:53 pm

Did 2 AAdvantage award flight purchases where the taxes were roughly $75 per ticket ($75.37 shown twice). Neither has been reimbursed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.