Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AA only (2022-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: anabolism
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. "Please call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Summary of Reimbursements.

AMEX AA Reimbursement Approved
  • Admirals Club Memberships
  • Admirals Club Passes
  • Admirals Club Food/Drinks
  • Elite Status Buyback
  • External Reservation Fee
  • Five Star Service
  • MCE/Seat Selection
  • Mileage Multipler
  • Monthly Wifi Subscription through AA
  • Same Day Flight Change
  • Upgrades
  • Baggage
AMEX AA Reimbursement NOT Approved
  • Award Cancellation Fee
  • Close-In Ticket Fee
  • Elite Challenges
  • Gift Cards
  • Inexpensive tickets
  • Infant Fees
  • Miles Purchase from AA.com
  • Wifi (per flight)
50/50 on Whether it gets Approved
  • Award Taxes/Fees
  • Change Fee
  • Pet Fee
  • Upfares

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: Elite Status Buyback: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Gift Cards:
  • No
Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Miles Purchase from AA.com: Monthly AA Wifi Subscription Plan: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit. Monthly Wifi subscription plans through AA appear to be eligible for automatic credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

NOT WORKING: Partial payment by gift card or voucher combined with partial payment by Amex doesn't work. Full payment of a ticket under $100 stopped working sometime in 2020.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AA only (2022-23)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2022, 4:25 am

Prepaids?

I don't have any flights for the rest of the year that will likely get any qualifying expense (already plat pro so most stuff pre flight, infight are free)
Im gathering that if I have the full $200 to spare, that the only "prepaids" would be club annual pass, club daily pass? Othewrwsie really nothing to use here?
Old Nov 3, 2022, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by jl0810
I don't have any flights for the rest of the year that will likely get any qualifying expense (already plat pro so most stuff pre flight, infight are free)
Im gathering that if I have the full $200 to spare, that the only "prepaids" would be club annual pass, club daily pass? Othewrwsie really nothing to use here?
could always gift something like seat selection to someone (like me lol). In all seriousness though, you could use it for in flight wifi if that matters or for fees on award travel. A risky option would be to change a flight you have booked and then change it back to the original flight, essentially generating trip credit
Old Nov 3, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jl0810
I am basically in the same position. I was considering just buying three day passes. A skim of the AA website suggests I can only buy these to use myself, so if, for example, I'm traveling with my wife, I can't use two passes in my account to get us both access. Is that correct?

https://premium.aa.com/siebel/app/el...ERowId0=VRId-0
Old Nov 3, 2022, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by merlin90
I am basically in the same position. I was considering just buying three day passes. A skim of the AA website suggests I can only buy these to use myself, so if, for example, I'm traveling with my wife, I can't use two passes in my account to get us both access. Is that correct?

https://premium.aa.com/siebel/app/el...ERowId0=VRId-0
You can log in to your wife’s AA account and use your CC to buy a pass in her name for her use. You are correct that if the passes are in your name, the club most likely won’t accept them for use by any other passenger. I’ve heard of exceptions being made but certainly wouldn’t count on it.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: AA(xPLT now GLD), UA, DL, HH(GLD), MR(GLD), HY(DIS), and others...
Award fee plus MCE on ticket purchase what will be reimbursed?

I have a round trip ticket ON HOLD right now and I hope someone can answer this question.

I am using points for a reward ticket. There is of course the customary award fee/taxes that generally does not get reimbursed.

Since this is the end of the year and I have my full $200 Airline fee still available, I've decided to purchase the MCE seat reservation to use the "free money".

As the MCE charges will be on the same purchase as the award fee, will AMEX be able to reimburse the MCE charges (which are $101 of $112 in the purchase)?

Or should I make the reward transaction and then go back and purchase the seat upgrade?

Thanks for your advice.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA
You'd want to separate the two transactions - do the award travel, then go back in and purchase the seat as the latter will be coded differently.
chrisny2 and BCasc like this.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA(xPLT now GLD), UA, DL, HH(GLD), MR(GLD), HY(DIS), and others...
Got lucky!

So, to report on the outcome:

I bought the seating upgrade and the award fees at one time to book the flights.

Although I hit the “buy” button once, it showed up on the Amex account as two purchases. (I expected to get reimbursement for the MCE upgrade but not for the award fees.)

Two days later (purchase was on Saturday) I discovered two separate reimbursement credits in my Amex account.

So, I guess I got lucky.

And speaking of getting lucky, I reserved the window seat in the exit row for both of my flights (to/from MSY). Both flights were ‘full’, but for some reason the middle seat of the exit row was empty on both when the closed the doors.

I enjoyed the extra space and wonder whether AA ‘protected’ that middle seat because I paid for the upgrade. It seemed unusual that it was open on both flights.

No complaints here.

Last edited by echoch; Nov 13, 2022 at 12:30 pm
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I have a trip via LHR with my spouse in May 2023 that has a tight connection. Considering Five Star.

I can't remember... do they bill you when you book it, or when you travel and use it? I have $200 left on my Amex, and I could throw it at this for next year if it would bill in 2022.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Originally Posted by kodalip
could always gift something like seat selection to someone (like me lol). In all seriousness though, you could use it for in flight wifi if that matters or for fees on award travel. A risky option would be to change a flight you have booked and then change it back to the original flight, essentially generating trip credit
Fees for award travel? I booked award tickets through AA and was not reimbursed for it? Should I call them then?
Old Dec 6, 2022, 9:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by odie11
Fees for award travel? I booked award tickets through AA and was not reimbursed for it? Should I call them then?
Award travel fees are explicitly excluded from reimbursement. The automated system may sometimes mistake them for something else and reimburse, but if you call they will tell you it isn't eligible.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Originally Posted by mia
Award travel fees are explicitly excluded from reimbursement. The automated system may sometimes mistake them for something else and reimburse, but if you call they will tell you it isn't eligible.
OK, thank you.
I read that mile booster is reimbursed. My husband already bought a ticket and it is the last flight of the year. We have $103 AA left, can I use it on the mille booster after the ticket has been purchased?
Or on purchasing upgrades after the fact although he is Platinum Pro and usually gets upgraded plus these are short flights, it seems like a waste, unless there is nothing else to use the $103 on.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 2:32 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by odie11
....$103 AA left, can I use it on the mille booster after the ticket has been purchased?....
Yes, If AA offers it during check-in.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Dia
Originally Posted by mia
Yes, If AA offers it during check-in.
Mileage Multiplier is often available on the reservation's Your Trip page (e.g., https://www.aa.com/reservation/selec...ORDLOCATORHERE), at least when you're logged into your AA account. The number of miles will vary each time you look; if you don't like the offer, just refresh the page. I just did this today for an upcoming flight.
mia and daninstl like this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 6:27 am

Is there a place to see if you have used your AA reimbursement on the Amex site?
Old Dec 12, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
When logged-in to your account, along the horizontal pane, do you see "Rewards & Benefits"? If so, at least for me, scroll down to the bottom section "Track Your Progress." The info should be there.

Originally Posted by Global321
Is there a place to see if you have used your AA reimbursement on the Amex site?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.