Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AA only (2022-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: anabolism
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. "Please call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Summary of Reimbursements.

AMEX AA Reimbursement Approved
  • Admirals Club Memberships
  • Admirals Club Passes
  • Admirals Club Food/Drinks
  • Elite Status Buyback
  • External Reservation Fee
  • Five Star Service
  • MCE/Seat Selection
  • Mileage Multipler
  • Monthly Wifi Subscription through AA
  • Same Day Flight Change
  • Upgrades
  • Baggage
AMEX AA Reimbursement NOT Approved
  • Award Cancellation Fee
  • Close-In Ticket Fee
  • Elite Challenges
  • Gift Cards
  • Inexpensive tickets
  • Infant Fees
  • Miles Purchase from AA.com
  • Wifi (per flight)
50/50 on Whether it gets Approved
  • Award Taxes/Fees
  • Change Fee
  • Pet Fee
  • Upfares

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: Elite Status Buyback: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Gift Cards:
  • No
Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Miles Purchase from AA.com: Monthly AA Wifi Subscription Plan: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit. Monthly Wifi subscription plans through AA appear to be eligible for automatic credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

NOT WORKING: Partial payment by gift card or voucher combined with partial payment by Amex doesn't work. Full payment of a ticket under $100 stopped working sometime in 2020.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AA only (2022-23)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:37 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by S80
It seems to be on the 50/50 list, is the LHR "Luxury Tax" fee charged when using an SWU covered?
I'll answer my own question: it's 50/50. One posted as just "American Airlines" with a Ft Worth address, identical to a ticket, and did not get reimbursed, and the other posted as "American Airlines 91800-433-7300 GB" with a weird UK address, and did get reimbursed.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 6:48 am

To test if the $200 applied, I bought 1250 miles through the AA Mileage Multiplier with my Amex Plat for $40.31 and 3 days later the credit came through. There was a 2500 mile opp for double that price.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I selected AA for the $200 reimbursement on my Hilton AMEX card, was planning to use mileage multiplier on an upcoming flight. HOWEVER: I ended up crediting the flight to AS mileage plan, as I need the EQM to qualify for MPVG75k. I assume this means there will be no multiplier offer at check in?

I am an Admirals Club member (Citi Exec card), already seated in premium due to status, don't plan to check a bag; what other options remain?
Old Oct 28, 2023, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
Any recent experiences with WiFi reimbursement? The card doesn't cover in-app upgrades and I'm EXP with an AC membership - outside of buying a LOT of Admirals Club food I can't figure out what to do with the credit.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 9:09 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
OK, just to reconfirm (sorry for the silly question), but the work-around to applying the $200 credit and "purchase" AA miles is to use the mileage multiplier option - as you cannot purchase miles outright, would I be correct...?

Then I have a follow up.... is there a way to purchase the mileage multiplier after you have purchased the ticket...? I ask this because ideally I want to purchase my AA ticket and pay for that with my Citi AA Card but then do the follow up mileage multiplier option using my AmEx to claim the credit..... of course, I will probably have to do this on various different AA tickets, so I assume you can use up the AmEx credit in various transactions until you hit the $200 limit, is that correct...?

Thanks !!
Old Nov 4, 2023, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
…Then I have a follow up.... is there a way to purchase the mileage multiplier after you have purchased the ticket...?
Yes, you can do this in the AA app. Select your upcoming trip, then “manage trip” and scroll down to “mileage multiplier.”
Gaucho100K likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 11:08 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Follow up and probably a silly question, but does AA offer mileage multiplier up-sells for award tickets..? Would be an interesting twist of wording since award tickets dont accrue mileage so instead of a multiplier I guess it would be a bonus mile purchase of sorts....?
Old Nov 12, 2023, 11:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
....does AA offer mileage multiplier up-sells for award tickets..? ....
Yes. See this thread in the AA forum: How to find flights that allow “mileage multiplier”?

Also, see here for basic information about the Mileage Multiplier product: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...multiplier.jsp
italdesign likes this.

Last edited by mia; Nov 12, 2023 at 12:14 pm
Old Dec 1, 2023, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by dfwchamorro
This is great. My one question is when you say "change this/the reservation to something [$50]" does not that not tag as a fare difference, which is not covered by the Amex $200 benefit? Or is that the loophole, that the sub-$50 price point triggers the reimbursement anyway?
Anyone have DPs of this method still works?
1) Book a cheap flight anywhere some date in the future, LAX-LAS for $100 for example.
[...]
7) Cancel the ticket. You should now have a $350 trip credit in your AA account.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by dfwchamorro
Same result for me. $30 paid for a more expensive ticket and not reimbursed (currently 14 days since purchase). Going to try and see if I can use my 3 Amex Plat cards in person at an Admirals Club to see if they can get around the 2-card limit when trying to purchase the annual membership online. Has anyone else tried/had luck with this?
I'm a little new to all the terminology - wouldn't this be an "upgrade"? So the info at the top of this post is outdated? Or what method works for a cashout?
Old Dec 3, 2023, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I had an interesting one. I used my Plat to buy a month's subcription, and as always I cancelled the rebill within a few days. However, Amex billed me. I quickly wrote to aawifi and they reversed the charge. I wonder if the faux renewal will get the fee credit! Not that I was trying to game the system, or that I think you even could.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 9:08 am

Seat selection / mileage multiplier

For both the seat selection and mileage multiplier, can we add them while booking the flight, or should they be done seperately after paying for the flight to ensure they're seen as different charges? I'm not even sure if it is possible to buy mileage multiples right after booking.

thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2023, 6:16 am

i couldnt find it in this thread, but do EP first class upgrades ($75 and 15k miles) get credit against $200 annual amex platinum credit? thanks
Old Dec 10, 2023, 12:19 pm

Possible AA AMEX Credit for AA Elite

What if I booked a ticket on AA without entering a FF number.
Pay for upgrade (that would be free as an AA Elite) with Amex. Get the reimbursement.
Add my FF number after.
Cancel the ticket and have a credit in my AA account.

Think it would work?
Old Dec 14, 2023, 4:21 pm

I have about $100 left on the $200 credit for AA. Other than purchasing a ticket and then canceling, is there another easier way to utilize the balance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.