Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2021, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RedSun
I'm just too old to jump on the new bones. AmEx tries to teach old dog new tricks? Not me.
So I trust you used the couple hours of flyer talk being down this afternoon to call Amex and cancel your platinum cards?
Old Jul 16, 2021, 7:56 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
So I trust you used the couple hours of flyer talk being down this afternoon to call Amex and cancel your platinum cards?
Just be honest with you. I did call AmEx this afternoon. They gave me a nice retention. So I get AF pretty much free. Happy to keep it without doing all the hard work to "optimize" the "benefits". I'm not going to learn the new tricks of dancing with Equinox, or watch Peacock TV....

I get more cards to call AmEx, a couple Gold cards. Business Gold just closed.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 8:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Just be honest with you. I did call AmEx this afternoon. They gave me a nice retention. So I get AF pretty much free. Happy to keep it without doing all the hard work to "optimize" the "benefits". I'm not going to learn the new tricks of dancing with Equinox, or watch Peacock TV....

I get more cards to call AmEx, a couple Gold cards. Business Gold just closed.
The annual fee, adjusted for inflation, was about $650 in 1984, without a couponless model.

Good on you for getting a retention offer, but perhaps a premium credit card is simply not for you.
Statman, lsquare, gooselee and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
The annual fee, adjusted for inflation, was about $650 in 1984, without a couponless model.

Good on you for getting a retention offer, but perhaps a premium credit card is simply not for you.
Premium? I'm paying more than $4,000/year on CC annual fees before this AmEx fee increase. $3,000 more from other family member. Not even counting the Corporate cards. Easy to cut some "premium" cards and still remain super "premium"?

It is so bad that Chase no longer give out the heavy metal Ritz card. The metal card is even more impressive than the white AmEx Platinum card.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 8:13 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
I don't often agree with RedSun, but in this case I have to. The Platinum has that "Faux" Premium feel, kinda like Hilton Diamond staus. When everyone is special, no one is, LOL.
jamesteroh and RedSun like this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 9:34 pm
Suspended

I'm shifting to Citi and Cap1. Earning is straightforward. Still a lot of good ways to earn a lot of points. They still get good transfer partners.

It gets harder to keep track of the small $$. I ordered some diner plates with the Saks $50 credit. Two separate orders on two cards. One order was out of stock and Saks put the order on hold. So the charge was posted late. No credit from AmEx since the posting date was past the cut-off date. So the order was on my own.

I do use spreadsheets to keep track of all the AmEx monthly credit. $5 here, $10 there. I get about 20 of such credits. Restaurants are not happy with split credit card payments since each time they pay a CC fee. AmEx charges a higher swipe fee. So sometimes I let some of the $5 or $10 expire. Not worth the efforts to use them.

I often ask myself, why am I doing all this? What are the purposes of AmEx doing all this? Cardholder appreciation? Guess not....

Anyhow. I had fun. AmEx outgrows me. I just can't catch it up....
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 9:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by jtc246
I don't often agree with RedSun, but in this case I have to. The Platinum has that "Faux" Premium feel, kinda like Hilton Diamond staus. When everyone is special, no one is, LOL.
If a primary motivation to getting the plat is to feel special you’re doing it wrong
Old Jul 17, 2021, 12:57 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
​​​​​I often ask myself, why am I doing all this? What are the purposes of AmEx doing all this? Cardholder appreciation? Guess not....
If you're like me, I would assume it was for the lounge access or maybe international airline program, and the credits were a kind of rebate.

But if I travel 4 round trips a year domestically (I fly international J and get lounges with that), after the price hike and an AU card it's roughly $215/trip or $108/departure for lounge access if I don't want to be bothered with the piddly, annoying credits.

But I think what bugs me is how inflexible the entertainment one is, after the 2020 "no holds barred" version that would have benefitted members, but I guess "too well" for the earnings per share metric.
RedSun likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Most of these topics are covered in separate threads:

1. Purchases of merchant gift cards typically earn points and count toward bonuses. Purchases of Amex, Discover, MasterCard, VISA cards are more problematic. The key thing to understand is that American Express audits accounts, and transactions that are not flagged by the automated system may still be disallowed later.

2. Airline tickets purchased with miles are not covered by the Travel Delay, Interruption or Cancelation benefits. Tickets purchased with Membership Rewards points are covered. Partial payment with airline credit does not invalidate Travel Delay, Interruption or Cancellation benefits, but it does invalidate lost baggage benefit.

3. The Round Trip requirement applies to the full itinerary. Individual tickets can be one-way.

4. The Uber benefit applies only to the primary card. The card can be linked to any Uber account.

6. American Express does not use the term "Authorized User" in the same way as bankcard issuers. Additional Platinum cardholders receive nearly all of the benefits provided to the Basic cardholder, but in cases where the benefit has a capped monetary value the cap usually applies per account, not per card. You can also add free Gold or Green cards to a Platinum account. These cards earn rewards for spending at the same rate as the Platinum card (not at the rate of separate Gold or Green accounts).

7. Every American Express card has its own number. Additional cardholder can create separate online accounts, but this is not required. The Basic cardmember can see all activity on all cards. Membership Rewards points from all cards are credited to the Basic cardmember. Initially, transfers can only be made to airline or hotel accounts in the Basic member's name. After the Additional cards have been open for awhile (90 days?) transfers can also be made to their airline and hotel accounts. Membership Rewards points cannot be transferred to any other Membership Rewards account, nor to anyone else's airline or hotel accounts.
Appreciate the answers....all makes sense.

I re-read the terms for trip cancelation/inturruption/delay, and it seems like I misread previously, and doesn't outwardly say that using ff miles in combo with the card counts - which is odd since it does allow you to use frequent flyer 'or similar' vouchers, coupons, etc. in combo with the card. but is what it is.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 6:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry

While you are correct, many probably aren't considering that adjusted for inflation, it's about the same amount of money. It's more than that.

When the card was introduced, it was about service, it was about prestige. It was about things that it was difficult to put a price on. Now that identity is lost. Are we targeting 75k+ spenders or someone who wants a $5 NYT credit? Those are not the same two people. A past price of anything is irrelevant if it doesn't make sense for you today.
notquiteaff and RedSun like this.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by beofotch
If wife and I both have the platinum <two seperate accounts) could we book a $400 hotel night using the fine hotels and resorts program split on $200 on each card and get the $200 statement credit for both bookings? Anyone with actual experience making a similar booking?
I don't see any possible way to do this. If the terms and conditions allowed for "pay at the hotel" it could work as you could just ask the property to split the final bill between both cards. However, this credits T&Cs explicitly require a pre-paid reservation, so not sure how you could split across two cards.

My wife and I both have Platinum card as well, so I'd thought about this too, but just don't see how to trigger the credit on the second card. Certainly would be interested if anyone figures this out though.

Regards
Old Jul 17, 2021, 7:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Peaceful scene on a hot morning

I was a guest here once... it's really nice.

Last edited by jamflyer; Jul 17, 2021 at 7:02 am Reason: spe
Old Jul 17, 2021, 7:14 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by mia
7. Every American Express card has its own number. Additional cardholder can create separate online accounts, but this is not required. The Basic cardmember can see all activity on all cards. Membership Rewards points from all cards are credited to the Basic cardmember. Initially, transfers can only be made to airline or hotel accounts in the Basic member's name. After the Additional cards have been open for awhile (90 days?) transfers can also be made to their airline and hotel accounts. Membership Rewards points cannot be transferred to any other Membership Rewards account, nor to anyone else's airline or hotel accounts.
I did not know this. Thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 7:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Peaceful scene on a hot morning
Originally Posted by jamflyer
I was a guest here once... it's really nice.
How much do you pay each MONTH? And we get $25 to offset it? How many are available? What are the alternatives, like LA Fitness and a lot more?

Here is the geographic locations. The locator has been working for 30 minutes and still can't find a location. Google does a much better job:

This is what I found:

Base memberships that only grant you access to one club still cost at least $2,200 a year, plus a $500 initiation fee. If you want to go to multiple Equinox locations in the US, an "all access" membership runs $3,120 a year.

So the base membership costs like $200/month and AmEx only covers $25/month? Even if I want to join the "club" and pay the fee, I still can't find any location. This is very entertaining....

Last edited by RedSun; Jul 17, 2021 at 9:00 am
Old Jul 17, 2021, 7:55 am
Suspended

If a primary motivation to getting the plat is to feel special you’re doing it wrong
I feel like clipping coupons with my Platinum card "offers" and "benefits". $10 to to be used at certain store and vendor. Expire each month. And a bunch of nice shinny coupons....

Originally Posted by mia
Tempted is not the same as dictated. American Express was marketing products to cardholders decades before any of these features were added to the Platinum Card. In one year American Express spent more on postage for direct mail ads than the annual fee that I paid them. Advertising subsidizes the cost of countless consumer products. Removing the Saks, Uber, Clear and Equinox features would simply make the Platinum Card more expensive. Evaluating marketing claims and choosing only the goods and services you need is a core adult skill in a mass market economy.
I respectively disagree. Clipping AmEx coupon is not an skill that every adult should master..... If this were the AmEx Blue (cash) Everyday card, I somehow agree. But not on the $695 AmEx Platinum cards....

If "Removing the Saks, Uber, Clear and Equinox features would simply make the Platinum Card more expensive" is true, then would the new AF be cheaper since the old card without all the new "benefits" would be more expensive? Or say the other way around, "Adding (removing) the Saks, Uber, Clear and Equinox features would simply make the Platinum Card less (more) expensive"?

Last edited by RedSun; Jul 17, 2021 at 8:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.