Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2021, 9:05 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
My annual fee posts in mid-December, so I lucked out this time in terms of when I'll have to start paying the higher fee. I just went back and checked the previous increase, it hit accounts on or after September 1, 2017, and the increase before that to $450 was at least ten years before that. Twenty-five or so years ago when I first got the card it was $300. My company reimburses us $300/year for a credit card annual fee.
TravelingZoomer likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 9:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Just chatted with a rep, they said that the updated annual fee depends on your renewal date (day you opened account) and not when it posts
Old Jul 12, 2021, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Just chatted with a rep, they said that the updated annual fee depends on your renewal date (day you opened account) and not when it posts
so basically the opposite of what I was told.

Guess I’ll find out in January.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
so basically the opposite of what I was told.

Guess I’ll find out in January.
Like most things with Amex chat reps, you might as well just ask your magic 8 ball, it'll have the same outcome and the same impact (read: zero) on what your fee is
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:39 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Be better if it was for Lexus.

"I named my daughter Alexis because that's the car I could afford if I didn't have children".

(Think about it for a minute.)
No need to think...
Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Since there are a lot of non-Platinum Amex cards in the US getting a CLEAR offer under Amex offers, why not take it as yet another sign that this CLEAR thing with the Amex Platinum card is really not costing Amex much if anything and is a marketing gimmick with CLEAR?
Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:36 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I'm probably the only one here that does not value any points with any credit card company. I just use them in the best logical way for the the time I think I should use them. Like last year I had to book a last minute hotel room while there were rooms left and my city was going on lockdown so I wanted to get out. I found a hotel where I could book a week stay with hilton points and it was well worth using points than paying out of pocket. I didn't calculate the points into a dollar or cents amount. It was a bargain for me, and that's how I look at it. Paid points for the flight and the hotel, with nothing out of pocket. That was a deal for me at christmas time.

Same for me. I use points where it make sense. Just got back from a family trip and got two Hilton rooms using points. I never thought about calculating cost, just that the rooms and breakfast were free. Even when I attempt to calculate value, I do not place an amount above what I would would pay out of pocket. Its also one of the reasons why I would never get a first class ticket with points. Would much rather have 3 trips in coach than one upfront.
Statman, m907, jtc246 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Be better if it was for Lexus.

"I named my daughter Alexis because that's the car I could afford if I didn't have children".

(Think about it for a minute.)
Even better, you could name her Alexa. She would be very popular, everybody knows some Alexa.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Since there are a lot of non-Platinum Amex cards in the US getting a CLEAR offer under Amex offers, why not take it as yet another sign that this CLEAR thing with the Amex Platinum card is really not costing Amex much if anything and is a marketing gimmick with CLEAR?
I don’t really know the economics of CLEAR, I would assume they’re hoping they get a decent retention for year 2.

Personally, I don’t care who is footing the bill on the business side as long as I benefit.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jags86
I don’t really know the economics of CLEAR, I would assume they’re hoping they get a decent retention for year 2.

Personally, I don’t care who is footing the bill on the business side as long as I benefit.
A rotating cast of published benefits -- because of who is footing the bill and why -- may undermine the long-term value proposition of a card for a consumer and may even indirectly yield negative outcomes for those consumers who aren't all into chasing down the rotating cast of discount coupons put out by Amex for Platinum account members.
lsquare and m907 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by jamflyer
...Its also one of the reasons why I would never get a first class ticket with points. Would much rather have 3 trips in coach than one upfront.
Exactly. For the price of a first class ticket I could stay at the Burj Al Arab for more than 4 nights with the FHR resort credit, free breakfast and a room credit.

Actually, a few days ago I booked the doubletree right in Dubai downtown for new year's using points. Ain't no way I'm paying that out of pocket. Last time I went for the new years show I had to catche a metro. This time I can see everything right at the hotel since it's basically right near the Dubai mall. Worth every point I used.
jamflyer and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Renewed CLEAR late last week, $179 credit posted today.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 9:14 am

Same for me. I use points where it make sense. Just got back from a family trip and got two Hilton rooms using points. I never thought about calculating cost, just that the rooms and breakfast were free. Even when I attempt to calculate value, I do not place an amount above what I would would pay out of pocket. Its also one of the reasons why I would never get a first class ticket with points. Would much rather have 3 trips in coach than one upfront.
I don't have enough vacation time to have 3 trips in coach a year so I'd rather redeem for Business/First and be comfortable for my 1 big trip a year.
jamflyer and ijgordon like this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
I do similar to you, I use virtually all points for hotels, rarely for flying. I do set a minimum value for most point redemption's however, if it's too low I feel I'm getting a better value paying cash rate and earning points vs burning them. The only real exception to this is if I feel I have too many points to use soon, then I might redeem at a lesser value just because I know the hotel chain will devalue them anyway.
jamflyer likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Anyone who doesn't have a Sirius Subscription could get a a discounted one for 3 months. $15 for 3 months, use your Platinum Card to get the credit and get a free Echo Dot on top of it. Then cancel if you like.

https://care.siriusxm.com/sirpromopl...DOTPRERTP3MO15
You can talk them down to $5 a month anyway. I rarely drive but Sirius came with my last car and they offered me $5 a month for the first year with internet and car access and tried jacking it up on renewal. I just have to call and threaten to cancel and they'll get it down to $5 a month for another year. It's just a pain though, reminds me of dealing with Directtv every year.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.