Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2021, 5:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by blitzen
not quiet as clear cut as you make it to be
Originally Posted by jtc246
Shoot I value Amex at 1.6, my math would be way off, LOL
I am replying to a specific post, hoping that the member will explain the reasoning for the conclusion. My calculations are a starting point for further discussion, nothing definitive.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I'm probably the only one here that does not value any points with any credit card company. I just use them in the best logical way for the the time I think I should use them. Like last year I had to book a last minute hotel room while there were rooms left and my city was going on lockdown so I wanted to get out. I found a hotel where I could book a week stay with hilton points and it was well worth using points than paying out of pocket. I didn't calculate the points into a dollar or cents amount. It was a bargain for me, and that's how I look at it. Paid points for the flight and the hotel, with nothing out of pocket. That was a deal for me at christmas time.
I'm in the same boat. PYB has been a godsend for me. It will be a bummer when it is gone. A simple rebate of things I am already buying is why I prefer Chase's product. It's also a pinch higher than 1.5 too since I am earning rewards on the actual purchase too. I don't currently fly business class. So I have no need to try to squeeze every penny of perceived value through transfer partners, while forgoing or paying out of pocket for travel insurance on insanely expensive flights. I also get a good discount on Hilton, so the cash rate works well.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:55 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
Show us your arithmetic:

Chase $50,000 x 3 = 150,000 UR points x $0.015 = $2,250
Amex $50,000 x 5 = 250,000 MR points x $0.011 = $2,750
If he wants to also grab a CFU/CFF (or just wait to see if the CSR gets refreshed), he could be earning 5x UR back on airfare booked through the Chase Travel Portal. It's definitely a hassle if IROPS happen and the rates are not always the same but it's an option nonetheless. I agree with the general sentiment of your post. Just wanted to throw that in there for the sake of discussion.

--

Outside of airfare, I think Chase consistently outearns Amex for regular people. At a certain point, trying to optimize trips with finding award space (sometimes for multiple people) becomes so difficult that the time spent is worth MUCH more than the money/points saved. I understand that some people find this process enjoyable. I would wager that most people do not enjoy this and do not have the flexibility to accommodate this. The simple Chase travel portal and PYB at 1.5 cents/point is therefore very appealing to this large demographic. My thoughts are the same with the US Bank Altitude Reserve (which is criminally underrated IMO).

Amex definitely has a higher ceiling in this context with the Business Centurion 2 cents/point fixed redemption option. That's the main reason I want the card. However, the path to getting a Centurion is clearly very different than the path to getting a Chase Sapphire Reserve.
yjc281 and jtc246 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 8:16 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by WasKnown
If he wants to also grab a CFU/CFF (or just wait to see if the CSR gets refreshed), he could be earning 5x UR back on airfare booked through the Chase Travel Portal. It's definitely a hassle if IROPS happen and the rates are not always the same but it's an option nonetheless. I agree with the general sentiment of your post. Just wanted to throw that in there for the sake of discussion.

--

Outside of airfare, I think Chase consistently outearns Amex for regular people. At a certain point, trying to optimize trips with finding award space (sometimes for multiple people) becomes so difficult that the time spent is worth MUCH more than the money/points saved. I understand that some people find this process enjoyable. I would wager that most people do not enjoy this and do not have the flexibility to accommodate this. The simple Chase travel portal and PYB at 1.5 cents/point is therefore very appealing to this large demographic. My thoughts are the same with the US Bank Altitude Reserve (which is criminally underrated IMO).

Amex definitely has a higher ceiling in this context with the Business Centurion 2 cents/point fixed redemption option. That's the main reason I want the card. However, the path to getting a Centurion is clearly very different than the path to getting a Chase Sapphire Reserve.
I mean CSR vs Platinum, of course. But I disagree looking at the portfolio overall. Most folks have 1 or 2 cards they use regularly. AMEX Gold is 4x on restaurants and groceries. I would say “regular people” are spending way more on groceries and dining and earning 4x vs. 3x on travel and dining.

1.5cpp with PYB is great…but if that’s what you regularly use your points for, I think the the Altitude Reserve is superior to what Chase offers. Yes, you are losing 5x opportunities…but “regular people” aren’t heavily shopping 5x categories with an ink cash card and “regular people” aren’t keeping up with or maximizing the 5x Freedom categories.
friedablass likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Originally Posted by WasKnown
yes. And one very useful feature is that Chase allows combining points between family members. So CSR is better for a family of 4 or more as finding 4+ award flight seats during peak season can be very challenging or may cost way too many miles. Amex PLT has been my "personal lounge pass card" but given the price increase Im seriously considering Citi AA Executive card if business travel resumes in 2022.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 8:41 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jags86
I mean CSR vs Platinum, of course. But I disagree looking at the portfolio overall. Most folks have 1 or 2 cards they use regularly. AMEX Gold is 4x on restaurants and groceries. I would say “regular people” are spending way more on groceries and dining and earning 4x vs. 3x on travel and dining.

1.5cpp with PYB is great…but if that’s what you regularly use your points for, I think the the Altitude Reserve is superior to what Chase offers. Yes, you are losing 5x opportunities…but “regular people” aren’t heavily shopping 5x categories with an ink cash card and “regular people” aren’t keeping up with or maximizing the 5x Freedom categories.
Completely agree on the USB AR (that's why I called it criminally underrated). A cashback strategy could easily include both the USB AR and a Chase system given how low the effective AF is for the USB AR. The USB AR 1.5 cents/point is particularly lucrative for people with elite hotel status through the real-time mobile rewards system. With this, you can book hotel stays at 1.5 cents/point and earn points back (with your status multiplier) through the loyalty program as well! 3x back on mobile payments is effectively everything physical in major cities like NYC, SF, Chicago, Houston, LA, and Miami.

In terms of dining vs. groceries, I agree that the Chase system is pretty questionable for people with large grocery spend. The SUB year 5x back (9x during grocery rotations) on groceries with the CFF is nice but I doubt Chase will keep it around for the long run. Disappointing that the CSP is rumored to be getting only 3x back on online grocery and not groceries overall. Regardless, I don't think many people with just 2 cards are going to be getting both the Schwab Amex Platinum and the Amex Gold. Furthermore, I don't regard the Amex Gold nearly as highly as most people here do. I do not think it is reasonable to value the Uber and Dining credits at face value. Those credits are worth $180 to me so I would essentially be paying $70 for the privilege to earn 4x back on groceries whereas something like the Citi Custom Cash can earn 5x back on groceries for free.

Originally Posted by yjc281
yes. And one very useful feature is that Chase allows combining points between family members. So CSR is better for a family of 4 or more as finding 4+ award flight seats during peak season can be very challenging or may cost way too many miles. Amex PLT has been my "personal lounge pass card" but given the price increase Im seriously considering Citi AA Executive card if business travel resumes in 2022.
I completely agree and usually only travel with a +1. I do not envy the people trying to find award space for an entire family...
Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I flash my B of A Red Sox logo mastercard when I'm out to impress people! ​​​​​​
Old Jul 11, 2021, 3:39 pm

For those who love PYB, why not get a Blue Cash Preferred card? The cash back returns are better on a lot of purchases including groceries and gas.
lsquare, gooselee and jtc246 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
For those who love PYB, why not get a Blue Cash Preferred card? The cash back returns are better on a lot of purchases including groceries and gas.
Because my largest spend category by a wide margin is travel (airfare and hotel) and it only pays 1x for those. Dining is also big for me, another 1x. The grocery category is supermarkets (presumably not online) and it caps the 6x bonus at $6,000 in spending. It also charges a foreign transaction fee.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Relax, recharge, and reward yourself. Explore Fine Hotels + Resorts® and The Hotel Collection for properties that match your style. Plus, enjoy offers like a complimentary night at select properties when you book at AmexTravel.com from 5/12/21 - 9/3/21 and travel by 9/6/21.
Is this referring to certain properties building a 4th night free into their rates? I can't seem to see any evidence of other instances of "free night" offers. (And if that is indeed what it refers to do you think it's really going to be gone after those dates, or is it something regularly seen with FHR/THC?)
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
Because my largest spend category by a wide margin is travel (airfare and hotel) and it only pays 1x for those. Dining is also big for me, another 1x. The grocery category is supermarkets (presumably not online) and it caps the 6x bonus at $6,000 in spending. It also charges a foreign transaction fee.
Fair points, although I would add that planning on spending overseas with Amex is a fool's errand anyway considering how few retailers accept it. 95% of the time I just use a Visa or Mastercard without even asking.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by mildfrequence
Is this referring to certain properties building a 4th night free into their rates? I can't seem to see any evidence of other instances of "free night" offers. (And if that is indeed what it refers to do you think it's really going to be gone after those dates, or is it something regularly seen with FHR/THC?)
I've run across some properties with the 4th night free, baked into the rate. And some give you an extra property credit on top of the Amex one.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 6:55 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
If you just want cash back and have $100k in investments you can keep at Merrill Lynch to be a Platinum Honors client with BofA, the BofA Premium Rewards Visa is a card to consider, 3.5% cash back on travel and dining (and grocery stores this year) and 2.625% cash back on everything else, redeemable starting at $25 balance for cash. I should probably use this card more than I do ... even on my income tax payments to the IRS I make cash back after fees. It has a $95 annual fee, but comes with $100/year in travel credits plus reimbursement for Global Entry/TSA Precheck.
ck8 and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 9:45 am

There are a couple of "easy to maintain" 2% cash back cards. 2.625% sounds nice, but in realty, you earn only extra $187.5 even with $30,000 spending. You are better off just by getting ONE new card SUB or redeem some American express offers.
notquiteaff, SpaethCo and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by blitzen
Chase and Amex have different transfer partners
Amex hard to use Airline credit $200 for $695 AF
Chase very easy $300 travel credit for 550 AF
And Chase would earn 3x for other travel related purchased (rental car , hotel, ….) and free rental car
protection
not quiet as clear cut as you make it to be
Except it is clear cut in the context mia was responding. He was specifically addressing someone who said they spend $50k/year on airfare and that CSR was superior to Plat for airfare. I wholeheartedly agree with mia that Amex Plat beats CSR specifically for airfare.

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I flash my B of A Red Sox logo mastercard when I'm out to impress people! ​​​​​​
Gross.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.