Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:22 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Printing House or Hudson Yards? HY has an outdoor pool, right? Or both in/out? There was like one time I really wanted to go to Printing House during a heat wave a couple summers ago, but I didn't think it was worth the upcharge, especially since I was rarely in lower Manhattan to use it.
Its Hudson Yards, they have two (saltwater indoors, more of a leisure pool outdoors)
Old Jul 14, 2021, 7:35 am

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Originally Posted by david55
My no annual fee AmEx blue card just got a $120 Equinox yearly credit benefit. ( $20 a month) Did Amex buy Equinox?
My $95 dollar Blue Cash preferred got the same "benefit"
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by david55
My no annual fee AmEx blue card just got a $120 Equinox yearly credit benefit. ( $20 a month) Did Amex buy Equinox?
A friends Hilton Am Ex got the same offer and I got the Clear offer on my Hilton. Weird Am Ex is raising the annual fee by almost 25 percent bragging about all these new useless benefits and then offering them on other cards.
emgqrrpg likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Maybe sell the membership at a discount on eBay or via some other secondary market means?
Is that possible?
Old Jul 14, 2021, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by m907
Is that possible?
I really don't think so. You would need to provide your credit card information as the payment option for the new account and then rely upon the Buyer to remove it and replace it with their own. Alternatively, CLEAR does offer eGift Cards (which would certainly be very easy to sell) but it is unclear if you would receive a credit from Amex for this purchase. The Terms of Service do not explicitly exclude gift cards but they do state that the credit is for "your annual CLEAR membership", so that's very much a gray area... Cold water quickly doused on the gift card potential by diesteldorf with datapoint/detail below.
Statman and m907 like this.

Last edited by imnotalawyer; Jul 14, 2021 at 1:08 pm
Old Jul 14, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
... Alternatively, CLEAR does offer eGift Cards (which would certainly be very easy to sell) but it is unclear if you would receive a credit from Amex for this purchase. The Terms of Service do not explicitly exclude gift cards but they do state that the credit is for "your annual CLEAR membership", so that's very much a gray area...
Would be great if someone tests this out and let's us know. Would be a gold mine . (No, I'm not volunteering.)
Old Jul 14, 2021, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
I really don't think so. You would need to provide your credit card information as the payment option for the new account and then rely upon the Buyer to remove it and replace it with their own. Alternatively, CLEAR does offer eGift Cards (which would certainly be very easy to sell) but it is unclear if you would receive a credit from Amex for this purchase. The Terms of Service do not explicitly exclude gift cards but they do state that the credit is for "your annual CLEAR membership", so that's very much a gray area...
I can confirm buying CLEAR gift cards DO NOT reimburse. Clear uses some 3rd party service called EGIFTER and the charge comes from them.

I was going to product change my Green card to a 2nd Gold, and decided to buy a gift card at the end of 2020, prior to the product conversion. Luckily, when I realized they used a 3rd party service, I was able to get the order canceled.

[email protected]
https://www.egifter.com/

https://clearme.egifter.com/

This was my experience in January, 2021, so unless things have changed, I wouldn't plan to be reimbursed.

Last edited by diesteldorf; Jul 14, 2021 at 1:04 pm
Old Jul 14, 2021, 5:30 pm

The Amex Platinum launched in 1984 with a $250 AF. In hindsight, was this coupon-less concept a mistake? By today's logic, it should have been a $395 AF, with $10 per month credit towards QVC, $50 credit towards select waterbed retailers, and $25 twice a year towards Avon (with $75 purchases).
Old Jul 14, 2021, 5:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by MojoGuru
The Amex Platinum launched in 1984 with a $250 AF. In hindsight, was this coupon-less concept a mistake? By today's logic, it should have been a $395 AF, with $10 per month credit towards QVC, $50 credit towards select waterbed retailers, and $25 twice a year towards Avon (with $75 purchases).
$250 in 1984 is equivalent to $647 today.

I don’t know what was offered with the 1984 model, but it seems like today is a magnitude of order times better tracked to inflation if 250$ was “couponless”
Steve M, lsquare, gooselee and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 5:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer

I don’t know what was offered with the 1984 model, but it seems like today is a magnitude of order times better tracked to inflation if 250$ was “couponless”
I think it was by invitation only when it launched and the only thing of real value it offered was club access (plus a higher limit for check cashing, 24 hour travel concierge, and maybe some other negligible stuff).

So yes, today's card at $695 even with all the "coupon" benefits is definitely better.
lsquare, Adelphos and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by friedablass
I think it was by invitation only when it launched and the only thing of real value it offered was club access (plus a higher limit for check cashing, 24 hour travel concierge, and maybe some other negligible stuff).

So yes, today's card at $695 even with all the "coupon" benefits is definitely better.
Didn't that have several more lounge options at the time?
Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by josephstern
Didn't that have several more lounge options at the time?
I thought you were able to get into most lounges that were ran by domestic airlines with the card.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 12:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I thought you were able to get into most lounges that were ran by domestic airlines with the card.
8 years ago, it still provided AA lounge access. 10 years ago, it still provided CO lounge access. And there was more of that and other travel perks in the years before.

The Amex Plat was more of a focused travel product in earlier decades than it is now. And the card product has become increasingly gimmicky as the product focus on travel gets diluted and the discount coupon booklet approach has grown.
MojoGuru likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer

Should Amex have increased the AF in 1984, with niche baby boomer "lifestyle credits", that more than exceeded the difference? Would such credits add to the branding and slogan, "Membership has its privileges"?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 4:21 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by GUWonder
8 years ago, it still provided AA lounge access. 10 years ago, it still provided CO lounge access. And there was more of that and other travel perks in the years before.

The Amex Plat was more of a focused travel product in earlier decades than it is now. And the card product has become increasingly gimmicky as the product focus on travel gets diluted and the discount coupon booklet approach has grown.
When were Membership Rewards points introduced? In any rate Amex Platinum only introduced 5x earnings for travel categories 5 years ago. And again, what kind of travel benefits could be offered that aren’t? The card offers the broadest lounge access available, 5x on airfare and FHR, various hotel and travel insurance benefits, airline fee credit, etc. Not seeing many other cards (outside of actual airline/hotel cards) that offer more of a “travel” focus.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.