Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:36 pm

For those with a business or even some without one (the eBay business is my favorite angle), I can't fathom a reason why the Bus Blue Plus apps aren't off the charts. Use the Plat for perks, and charge everything on the latter.
SanDiego1K and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by txpenny
My main benefit was airfare. Pre-Covid, I'd spend close to $50K (wife and me) on airfare. Now the reduced Schwab redeption rate, I believe it will make more sense for me to use the CSR as my airfare card and can the platinum card.
Show us your arithmetic:

Chase $50,000 x 3 = 150,000 UR points x $0.015 = $2,250
Amex $50,000 x 5 = 250,000 MR points x $0.011 = $2,750
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Super Mario
From what I have personally noticed, the Platinum has it's own purpose neither in the sock drawer, nor getting swiped. I have seen multiple instances where people make sure they flash it to others in some conspicuous form, but never use it. Front of the money clip. Front of the wallet. Showing others and saying "I don't even know why I have this" Pulling it out, knowing you aren't going to use it, only to pick a different card. The toss on the counter for no apparent reason is a solid move to show everyone your metal card means business.
I definitely don't fall into that crowd. I personally steer clear of using my platinum card in certain establishments and don't want to draw any undue attention in places I patronize often. Especially in some areas I visit. I use my hilton card usually because it's a simple blue bendable plastic card that looks like any other card. That's just me. I have noticed how people throw their platinums on the counter and the clerk tells them to insert it in the mobile scanner. lol Or one lady took hers out of her purse at a grocery store and had it between her fingers up in the air until it was time to pay. I hate seeing people like that.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Super Mario
From what I have personally noticed, the Platinum has it's own purpose neither in the sock drawer, nor getting swiped. I have seen multiple instances where people make sure they flash it to others in some conspicuous form, but never use it. Front of the money clip. Front of the wallet. Showing others and saying "I don't even know why I have this" Pulling it out, knowing you aren't going to use it, only to pick a different card. The toss on the counter for no apparent reason is a solid move to show everyone your metal card means business.
I have no idea who your "tribe" is but from what I've personally noticed, as a cardholder for close to twenty years (and employed in technology), is I've seen exactly... nobody exhibit that behavior.

Regards
ijgordon, FT, chrisny2 and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There is nothing new...

Originally Posted by New York Times, June 26, 1983
ANTHONY V. MILONE got an expensive new suit when he became vice president of a new medical products company in Tuckahoe, N.Y., last year. He also got an American Express Gold Card.

''We're a small company,'' he said. ''But it pays to make the client think you're doing better than you really are. If your shoes are shiny, and you dress well, it can help. And if at the end of a luncheon you pull out a Gold Card, that's one more thing. People want to be associated with success.''

Jean Meger, a businesswoman in Anaheim, Calif., takes that strategy a step further. She places her Gold Card or her Visa Preferred card discreetly on the table before she orders at a restaurant, and leaves it there during the meal. ''You get better service,'' she said. ''And if you want to impress someone, it's a nice flash.''
chrisny2, lsquare, Gasolin and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
I have no idea who your "tribe" is but from what I've personally noticed, as a cardholder for close to twenty years (and employed in technology), is I've seen exactly... nobody exhibit that behavior.

Regards
Lucky you! In addition to the other incidents I have seen, I was actually with somebody I know that went into a party store to get balloons etc before I even got a platinum card. Before it was time to pay and the cashier was ringing him up, he already had his card on the counter, at which time he told me it was metal this year. I looked at him like so what. So, yes, there's many people that do this crap unfortunately.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 1:33 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by mia
There is nothing new...
Agreed. The mid-80s saw the rise of "premium" credit cards. Amex had its Gold card and I think Continental Airlines and Marine Midland were the first to introduce a gold airline credit card, the TravelBank Gold MasterCard.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Agreed. The mid-80s saw the rise of "premium" credit cards. Amex had its Gold card and I think Continental Airlines and Marine Midland were the first to introduce a gold airline credit card, the TravelBank Gold MasterCard.
And now it's the BLACK card
Old Jul 10, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by mia
Show us your arithmetic:

Chase and Amex have different transfer partners
Amex hard to use Airline credit $200 for $695 AF
Chase very easy $300 travel credit for 550 AF
And Chase would earn 3x for other travel related purchased (rental car , hotel, ….) and free rental car
protection
not quiet as clear cut as you make it to be
ck8 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 7:17 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by dayone
Just out of curiosity, Plat didn't exist back in the 80s? Is that why people were "flashing" gold cards?

LAX
Old Jul 10, 2021, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
Just out of curiosity, Plat didn't exist back in the 80s? Is that why people were "flashing" gold cards?

LAX
It was launched in 1984 as an invitation only card. American Express moves up to platinum - UPI Archives
lsquare, Racky and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 7:49 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
Show us your arithmetic:

Shoot I value Amex at 1.6, my math would be way off, LOL. I admit I value UR at 2.0, but for airfare Amex is king
Old Jul 10, 2021, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by jtc246
Shoot I value Amex at 1.6, my math would be way off, LOL.
I'm probably the only one here that does not value any points with any credit card company. I just use them in the best logical way for the the time I think I should use them. Like last year I had to book a last minute hotel room while there were rooms left and my city was going on lockdown so I wanted to get out. I found a hotel where I could book a week stay with hilton points and it was well worth using points than paying out of pocket. I didn't calculate the points into a dollar or cents amount. It was a bargain for me, and that's how I look at it. Paid points for the flight and the hotel, with nothing out of pocket. That was a deal for me at christmas time.
jtc246 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 7:59 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I'm probably the only one here that does not value any points with any credit card company. I just use them in the best logical way for the the time I think I should use them. Like last year I had to book a last minute hotel room while there were rooms left and my city was going on lockdown so I wanted to get out. I found a hotel where I could book a week stay with hilton points and it was well worth using points than paying out of pocket. I didn't calculate the points into a dollar or cents amount. It was a bargain for me, and that's how I look at it. Paid points for the flight and the hotel, with nothing out of pocket. That was a deal for me at christmas time.

Can't argue with nothing out of pocket. I try to maximize when I can, but that is just my personal preference
cfabar1 and TravelingZoomer like this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by jtc246
Can't argue with nothing out of pocket. I try to maximize when I can, but that is just my personal preference
But, when it comes to paying for something out of pocket, I'm looking for every cash back site, coupons, upgrades and anything else I can apply. I'm one of the cheapest people I know. But, some things I pay extra for, just for a peace of mind. Like my upcoming covid test. I rather pay more at the airport and don't have to worry about waiting on an email with my results.
jtc246 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.