Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
There is always a subjective/personal element to Benefit analysis, so I am not trying to convince you otherwise, but I just want to note that you can add your wife as a free Platinum Gold AU and get another Global Entry credit for her (which may bump up your valuation of this benefit if you're not getting a credit for her from another card). Also, I initially had the same opinion of the Saks credit, but I have come to find that their House & Home section has plenty of useful/practical things around the $50 mark. Saks also has some decent food items. If I cannot find anything for myself, it is very easy to find a gift for someone so this comes in handy around the holidays.

As for the Entertainment credit, a $14 Audible subscription essentially provides for a monthly free audiobook that you get to permanently retain, even if you no longer have the subscription. I understand that books on tape aren't a hot commodity for everyone but this may help you bump up the valuation slightly, as you get something more tangible than a simple subscription.

Also, why are you adding your wife as a paid $175 AU if you don't use Centurion Lounges often? This really only makes sense if she is visiting a CL 4+ times a year, otherwise (when the Guest Access policy actually changes in 2023) just buy a $50 day pass for her and factor that into your math. Guest access at other lounges Priority Pass, Sky Club, etc... should still be complimentary or less expensive.
Good points all around. Regarding Saks, I am not really using this credit well to be honest. Every time, I forget until the last minute when The Points Guy sends me an email, at which point I end up sending my wife a text saying "hey use my Amex to buy something around $50 from Saks." I could probably optimize it better and hunt for a good deal there on something I actually need, but that also requires some time investment.

I see the value in the Audible membership for a lot of people but I am not an audiobook listener; I strongly prefer to read books on my iPad. If they'd even allow this credit to be used on Apple Books, I'd consider it a huge win but as of now I can't see myself using it.

My wife is not an AU yet; I plan to add her in 2023 when the guest CL access goes away. Despite my grumbling about CL closures and the lack of an ORD lounge, I still do use them a decent amount at DFW (if they reopen seating to full capacity again), PHL, and CLT, and many of those times I'm traveling with her. It's just not the benefit it once was where I'd use it every trip and there was plenty of space in the lounges. Unfortunately, that's the only reason to add her (she has a GE credit from the BoA card). With Admiral's Club and PP lounges allowing a free guest, I just can't see it as worth it given the declining quality of CLs.
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by zxrst
For me, the lounge access is the VALUE. Everything else is a coupon. If you or your family travel frequently from an airport with CL/sky clubs, this card is for you. If you do not travel, Chase cards are better.
The lounge access is the ONLY reason I initially applied for the card. At that time a lounge membership was basically the same cost. If the lounge benefits ever were to be greatly reduced or modified, that's when I will say goodbye.
jimquan and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
Good points all around. Regarding Saks, I am not really using this credit well to be honest. Every time, I forget until the last minute when The Points Guy sends me an email, at which point I end up sending my wife a text saying "hey use my Amex to buy something around $50 from Saks." I could probably optimize it better and hunt for a good deal there on something I actually need, but that also requires some time investment.
.....And depending on your wife's reaction, the Saks credit may be more valuable than you think.....

ORDflyer92: Quick...Here is my Amex. Please buy something quick and try to keep it around $50.00....
Mrs. ORDflyer92: Sure thing.....happily thinks about what to buy.....Thinks that you are being so thoughtful and sweet

OR
ORDflyer92: Quick...Here's my Amex.....Please buy something quick....after the kids are taken care of, laundry is folded, and dinner is on the table....
Mrs. ORDflyer92: I'm through saving your butt. ........I'll do it one more time, but you owe me big time....

Last edited by diesteldorf; Jul 7, 2021 at 9:51 am
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by moe8555
Maybe the Prestige would be a better fit, at 5X dining, 5X air/OTAs, 3X hotels/cruises and a Priority Pass that also includes restaurants and unlimited immediate family guests?

Unlike Chase, Citi offers periodic transfer bonuses and the accrual can be bumped an additional 10% just by adding the free Rewards+ card.
You know, that's a good point. I was a Prestige holder when it had free Admiral's Club access since I fly almost exclusively AA. ThankYou Points devaluations hurt but maybe it's time for me to think about it again.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Beckles
II admittedly haven't read through all 500+ posts in this thread, but am I the only one who finds 5x MR points on airline tickets to be a valuable benefit? Am I missing some other great card with a better earning rate than that on airline tickets? Am I the only one who spends much on airline tickets? (I just did a quick Google search and see Citi has a 5x card, but I gave up on TYP long ago when I felt they gutted that program)
CSR is 3x on airline tickets (and other travel and dining) and has a PYB feature (and travel portal) at 1.5 cents/point, making the effective multiple 4.5x. Whether the Plat is meaningfully more valuable depends on what you do with the points and how much you spend on tickets.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:56 am
FT

Originally Posted by Beckles
I admittedly haven't read through all 500+ posts in this thread, but am I the only one who finds 5x MR points on airline tickets to be a valuable benefit? Am I missing some other great card with a better earning rate than that on airline tickets? Am I the only one who spends much on airline tickets? (I just did a quick Google search and see Citi has a 5x card, but I gave up on TYP long ago when I felt they gutted that program)
Wholeheartedly agree. Although pricey upfront, one can earn much more AMEX MR points spread across their cards than with any other card issuer. 5x air is huge.

With respect to the people who have no value for Saks... do you wear underwear? It's a quick and easy (and practical) use of the $50.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
.....And depending on your wife's reaction, the Saks credit may be more valuable than you think.....

ORDflyer92: Quick...Here is my Amex. Please buy something quick and try to keep it around $50.00....
Mrs. ORDflyer92: Sure thing.....happily thinks about what to buy.....Thinks that you are being so thoughtful and sweet

OR
ORDflyer92: Quick...Here's my Amex.....Please buy something quick....after the kids are taken care of, laundry is folded, and dinner is on the table....
Mrs. ORDflyer92: I'm through saving your butt. ........I'll do it one more time, but you owe me big time....
Well, no kids yet and I do take care of laundry, so the reaction is more like the first one; have a feeling the FHR stay will be similar.
dw likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
With the rumored changes to Chase Sapphire cards, it’s clear that Amex will always have an advantage in giving much higher MR multipliers than Chase could ever with URs.

For any serious points maximizer (which I assume you all are since you’re on FT) transfer partners are the bread and butter of this hobby. Yes, the Pay Yourself Back feature of Chase is nice but that inherently limits their ability to doll out multipliers and match Amex SUBs. URs present a higher liability to Chase than MRs are to Amex because Amex has such a bad cash out option for most.

This is the golden age of churning, IMO and will last maybe a year or so. Amex (and to an extent Chase) are cashing in on the billions of cheap points they bought to float their airline/hotel partners by giving higher SUBs and better multiplies like candy. The difference between Amex and Chase is that Amex can do this with BOTH co brand and MR cards, while Chase is more limited to co brand cards.

Airlines will not have any major devaluations anytime soon, because they are trying to attract loyalty after a year+ of grounding. But you can bet when things are better redemption values will fall off a cliff, so churn and burn for 2022/23 my fellow FTers

Amex leveraged the pandemic circumstances perfectly, and their inherently ability to offer better MR opportunities are why I’m sticking with them
imnotalawyer likes this.

Last edited by TravelingZoomer; Jul 7, 2021 at 10:56 am
Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Statman
It is ironic how the Centurion lounge thread is filled with anecdotes complaining about how a cardholder (i) couldn't get into the lounge because it was too full, or (ii) if said card holder actually got into the lounge, there were no seats or tables available.

Now this thread is filled with cardholders who are cancelling because they can't get their friends, co-workers or family members for free.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for AXP.
I think people would be more amenable if they were changing from three guests to one. But they're changing from three to zero.
jtc246 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Amex leveraged the pandemic circumstances perfectly, and their inherently ability to offer better MR opportunitie are why I’m sticking with them
Couldn't agree more. They navigated it very well, probably better than all of their peers. Not surprising since the company has a history of responding very well to uncertainty and market dislocations.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by m907
I think people would be more amenable if they were changing from three guests to one. But they're changing from three to zero.
Only two guests are currently allowed in for free.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Statman
Only two guests are currently allowed in for free.
My mistake. The point remains.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
It's not risky. Because Saks Off Fifth codes for Saks Fifth Avenue going through PayPal. Nothing on the Credit Card receipt says Off Fifth. I found more products on Saks Off Fifth than regular Saks site for under $50. Before, I had search and search through all that junk sales stuff to fine something I would actually use on the day I planned on making a purchase. I never have plans to keep searching for a special product. The day I go to the site is when I buy, and Off Fifth is trouble free with lots of good stuff under $50 it takes only a few minutes to purchase something.
If you don't have access to an actual store, this is a good strategy. But I like to stockpile Saks $50 gift cards, and then go on a spree at Saks Off Fifth (either online or in person).
jamesteroh and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:22 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by richarddd
CSR is 3x on airline tickets (and other travel and dining) and has a PYB feature (and travel portal) at 1.5 cents/point, making the effective multiple 4.5x.
That's some dubious math, are you claiming 1 Membership Reward point is only worth 1.0 cents/mile? Even though Membership Rewards points are less valuable than they used to be, I do value them more than that.
Statman, lsquare, gooselee and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
The lounge access is the ONLY reason I initially applied for the card. At that time a lounge membership was basically the same cost. If the lounge benefits ever were to be greatly reduced or modified, that's when I will say goodbye.
Yeah, as a frequent DL flyer, the lounge access is key. Without Skyclub access, I probably would never have gotten the card in the first place, much less consider keeping it at the new price. But I already have 3 upcoming trips on DL where I can use the lounge.

Lounge access, hotel status (the Hilton Gold is actually worth something), insurance, points, and IAP are what I see as the real card "benefits." The trick is to then get enough "coupons" to receive those benefits for free. I'm going to be watching the Amex Offers very closely during the last year of $550.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.