Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2021, 6:23 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by SpaethCo
I get it, but ironically at this point you're walking toward a plane that's going to take you into the atmosphere where you'll be exposed to just a little less radiation than a chest X-ray. (assuming a domestic flight)

I don't like the privacy aspect, so I've made the same arguments in the past. Though if I really was worried about radiation, I should be driving.
True, but I am not going to add to that any government operated, poorly maintained, seldom tuned and tested, doubtably successful, radiation generating devices waves.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 7:20 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Clear is one of those things where, in my experience, 95% of the time saves you a marginal amount of time, and 5% saves your hide
Kind of the same as Global Entry. With the new kiosks for the regular line, the GE line is usually only a tad bit shorter at the airport/terminal I reenter through, but once every few years I’ll arrive back to see the regular line backed up way past the customs hall.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Personally I feel Amex Platinum is having a bit of identity crisis. When I signed up for this card in 2015 it was clearly positioned as a credit card with top-notch travel benefits. I was traveling 40-50 weeks a year so GE and lounge access were the most useful benefits more than anything else. The other benefits (free-coupons) were really there to save a few bucks here and there to offset the annual fee. I really disliked having to order UberEats or use Uber instead of Hertz just to use up the credit.
In my opinion the Uber credits being restricted to 15/month is really in Uber's favor to make more people use Uber's services. That's why it is not a $200 annual credit. (basically to make people spend more than they would otherwise.)
After COVID hits the original model could no longer work so they are trying to reposition this card into a "Lifestyle card" and force members to pay more for the new "Lifestyle benefits".

In my opinion, if I still travel 30+ weeks in 2022 then it is easily justified to pay the original 550 without any changes.
However there is a lot of uncertainly as most of my colleagues travel 0% in 2021. 2022 is still a big question mark.

I evaluated my situation. If I do not travel enough even the original annual fees can be hard to justify, let alone the higher fees with those new "benefits" I do not really need.
300 Equinox credits for $2000-$3000 membership....No thanks.
Audible, I have some but Amazon always paid for me.
Peacock and NYT. Personally would not want them even for free. I am already paying for too many better alternative options.
FHR is also not very useful when I already have lots of hotel points and free night certs unused with lifetime status.
Airline credits are rarely useful with Amex lounge benefits and airline status.

So I would much prefer they keep the original benefits as is at $550. Actually it would be even better if they make it $450 and drop the Uber and Saks benefits.

Maybe they can create a new variant "Amex Platinum Plus Lifestyle Card" for $800 and see how many people would sign up while keeping the original one untouched.
notquiteaff, m907 and MojoGuru like this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:03 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
MGM/Hyatt
Thank you.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:07 am

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I have a question for you guys. By calling the platinum line, can you book a hotel possibly cheaper than using Amex Travel website? Or do they basically use the same website and just charge you a fee to do it over the phone???
Can't. They don't operate like your corporate travel department... I found hotel rooms over Amex Travel (as well as Citi Travel Portal) seem to always be more expensive if you factor into the extra fees they charge.
Note the price you found on the Amex travel is only the room rate NOT including the extra service fees Amex charges. The service fees only show up at checkout. Citi has a similar practice.
On the other hand due to EU regulation you can easily find the total price including all fees if you search and book on Marriott.com.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
CLEAR Benefit

I'm assuming the Clear credit is a one time statement credit instead of the monthly credit like Equinox and streaming services?

Not sure if I will keep the card when I renew in January but this could help in making my decision.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by JRV62
I'm assuming the Clear credit is a one time statement credit
Originally Posted by Benefit Terms
You'll receive a statement credit of up to $179, typically 2-4 weeks after your membership is charged to your Card.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thank you
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:39 am

can we combine the $119 Delta Skymiles Clear price with the AMEX Platinum credit? It would allow me to add my wife for free.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by millemiglia
The wording that American Express uses for that new platinum benefit of $300 a year towards an Equinox membership is false advertising. They keep saying “select memberships“ get the benefit but that is false. “Select access memberships” do not get this benefit. I actually have a “select access membership” in Los Angeles to the Equiniox gym in West Hollywood, which means that I have access to just that one club. I pay over $200 a month for my membership (which I have had for several years) and when I tried to register today for the new Platinum Amex benefit, the page on the Equinox website says that my type of membership is not included….And that I should talk to an Equinox concierge about upgrading my membership to the next level. Which means that Equinox/Amex want people to upgrade to the more expensive national or regional memberships. Which basically negates the small amount they’re going to pay every month towards the membership. I find this whole Equinox benefit thing so ridiculous. If they’re going to give a gym benefit, at least offer it towards any gym. So many people that are not members of Equinox! And even me that has a $200+ Equinox membership every month can’t benefit from this “benefit”. I wish they would stop wording it as “select” in the advertising. It’s really false advertising in my opinion.
Yeah, its pretty frustrating that its not just a simple statement credit...
lsquare and millemiglia like this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Has Amex discontinued concierge services? It is still listed in my benefits section. I haven't tried to use it, but I would expect it to work.
As would I, but I found it terrible. If Resy is their big connection for reservations, that's worth $0 a year to me. I think the next time I am in a Four Seasons I am going to ask the concierge if I can use them (for a gratuity of course) when I am not staying there.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by googs185
can we combine the $119 Delta Skymiles Clear price with the AMEX Platinum credit? It would allow me to add my wife for free.
Yes (as has already been discussed multiple times).
Old Jul 4, 2021, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by jags86
Yup… for me

Airline Credit: $200 as long as Travel Bank keeps working, $0 if not
Entertainment: $52 — wife and I switch off on the $1/wk plan with NYTimes. Don’t have any of the other services.
Equinox: $0
Uber Credit: I was going to value this as $200 because I typically only take Uber for work and submit for reimbursement…but I could still buy gift cards at 12%-15% off and submit for full reimbursement as we…so I’ll go with your $170 valuation
GE: $0 - get from other cards
Saks: $40 — I buy a nice $50 Lacoste or Ralph Lauren T-Shirt every 6 months. But I wouldn’t normally pay more than $20 for a T-shirt so I give it $40
CLEAR: hard to value. I like CLEAR but I wouldn’t pay for it so I’ll give it a $54.50 value (1/2 normal price)
Hotel: $0 I never stay at FHR, I might now but no idea if it’ll just make the prices comparable to what I would have done anyway.
Lounges: $100 — no lounges worthwhile using at my home airport. Might occasionally get a Centurion Lounge visit two or three times a year.

Value is only $564.50 to me. AMEX can make this up with very good Platinum exclusive offers and retention offers. But it’s an awful lot of work to justify speculatively giving $695. I will likely keep my MS Platinum since they bumped up the engagement bonus to $695/yr + fee free AU, but I feel it’s only a matter of time before they increase the requirements making it not worthwhile.
What is travel bank?
Old Jul 4, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by googs185
What is travel bank?
United Travel Bank. See the UA airline fee credit thread.
murphy likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Thoughts on this language in the updated Platinum card terms?

SkyMiles Program
This
benefit will end on 8/31/21. All Delta SkyMiles® program rules apply to SkyMiles program membership, miles, offers, mile accrual, mile redemption and travel benefits. To review the rules, please visit delta.com/memberguide. Taxes and fees for Award Travel are the responsibility of the passenger and must be paid at the time the ticket is booked. Award Travel seats are limited and may not be available on all flights or in all markets. Partners airline benefits subject to change and subject to the terms and conditions of each partner. All Delta Sky Club rules apply to Delta Sky Club use. To review the rules visit Delta.com/skyclub. Offer, rules and benefits subject to change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.