Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Arrow USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Screenshot from Morgan Stanley AMEX PLAT card:

Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by moe8555
This is starting off poorly... the highly anticipated "travel" credit is now highly limited to two types of travel.

However, word is the new bonus will be fantastic.
prepaid FHR/THC credits are stellar! That’s an easy 200$ off the annual fee for me
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, AA Platinum, United Silver
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
prepaid FHR/THC credits are stellar! That’s an easy 200$ off the annual fee for me
Does prepaid mean that it can't be cancelled without penalty?
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by esc2476
Does prepaid mean that it can't be cancelled without penalty?
No, most FHR bookings can be refunded for the full amount up to the normal cancellation terms of most standard rates
Statman and danhouston like this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, AA Platinum, United Silver
No, most FHR bookings can be refunded for the full amount up to the normal cancellation terms of most standard rates
Thanks-that certainly makes it more valuable.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:32 pm

My heart kind of sank when I saw that the entertainment credit would only be valid at "participating partners." Wonder what that means.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mahogany
Screenshot from Morgan Stanley AMEX PLAT card:

If the airline fee is still included, I can’t see how these changes are anything but a massive win. Especially since we are grandfathered in the old fee for a year
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:37 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Unfortunately, FHR/THC isn't that valuable in the locations I value most vs. alternatives (I typically use the IHG Ambassador weekend night certificate at the one FHR hotel I frequent, and also have access to non-public rates that are almost 50% off for any subsequent stays...).

I could still make it work, but it would take more effort than I'd like and some luck.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:48 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Amex is so troll lol https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c.../ep-msb-ms-1#/
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:48 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I agree, this is looking like a massive win.

$200 Hotel FHR/THC credit
$179 Clear Credit (really worth more like $109 or $119 depending on what discount you get)
$240 Digital Entertainment Credit
$300 Equinox Credit ($25/month)

From multiple rumors, the various snippets from AX website, and that YouTube video, we still have:
$200 Uber credit
$100 Saks
$200 Airline credit

Even without using the airline credit AT ALL, completely ignoring the Equinox "credit", that is $849 in easily usable credits (for me, at least), and if I can still use some of that airline credit with the various workarounds that still work - could be as much as $1049 in credits for a card that costs $695? Ridiculous (in a good way). Not to mention lounge access, the great return protection / purchase protection insurance, and emergency medical evacuation insurance, etc.
WSTC likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by WasKnown
hahahaha the streaming credit is limited to SiriusXM, Audible, and Peacock

https://reddit.com/r/amex/comments/o..._very_limited/
I'm not seeing the Saks credit either. If this is true and the entertainment credit is trash this is a loss to me. $200 airline fee + $200 hotel + $200 Uber doesn't equal $695.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Wait a minute 10x on restaurants and small businesses???
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:56 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by synzero
I agree, this is looking like a massive win.

$200 Hotel FHR/THC credit
$179 Clear Credit (really worth more like $109 or $119 depending on what discount you get)
$240 Digital Entertainment Credit
$300 Equinox Credit ($25/month)

From multiple rumors, the various snippets from AX website, and that YouTube video, we still have:
$200 Uber credit
$100 Saks
$200 Airline credit

Even without using the airline credit AT ALL, completely ignoring the Equinox "credit", that is $849 in easily usable credits (for me, at least), and if I can still use some of that airline credit with the various workarounds that still work - could be as much as $1049 in credits for a card that costs $695? Ridiculous (in a good way). Not to mention lounge access, the great return protection / purchase protection insurance, and emergency medical evacuation insurance, etc.
The digital streaming credit is only good for a limited number of partners. For many people, that is not worthwhile. Not sure how you can value the Uber credits at face when you are prepaying for them. Even Uber doesn't value prepaid credits at face value and sells them at a discount (currently 15% rn). Overall think this was a slight net negative for most people but not a massive loss.
hedoman and m907 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by time_stamp
I'm not seeing the Saks credit either. If this is true and the entertainment credit is trash this is a loss to me. $200 airline fee + $200 hotel + $200 Uber doesn't equal $695.
I’d pay 95$ for a membership to the Amex Global Lounge Collection + SkyClubs, but I guess YMMV
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:58 pm

I’d pay 95$ for a membership to the Amex Global Lounge Collection + SkyClubs, but I guess YMMV
But we were already getting that. I mean this is a loss from what the value was last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.