Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by gengar
Double Cash has FTF, I believe.
Yes, it does.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:09 am

Ugh no changes to the airline credit.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:10 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by gengar
Double Cash has FTF, I believe.
Yes, the only player with no FTF and up to 2X earning with transferrable points is CapitalOne.

Barclays had the Arrival Premier that offered 1.42-1.71 points (net of AF) for a brief time (I actually still have and use it).

Nobody else has a 1.5-2X no FTF card with transferrable points.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
Seatac is getting a new lounge late 2022 I believe. Also you do have access to the N gate AS lounge -- just forever waitlisted now lmao
I have a couple of AS lounge passes, and sometimes (depending on the front desk) no wait needed.
But I connect from C to C gates, round trip to N seems a bit far fetched.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Mahogany
FYI, last month we (2 plat card holders) waited 40 minutes at Seattle just to get in the lounge.
It would be nice to have Admiral/Alaska/United Club added to Plat benefit. — I know I am dreaming.
I think we are still having capacity issues due to COVID restrictions. Pre-COVID SeaTac was my most frequently visited lounge, and most of the time I was able to get in without wait.

On the other hand the guest access changes will require me to evaluate whether to get a AU card for my wife or pay-as-we-go, which adds to the overall cost.

But my main point really was: I would not hold the Plat card even if the coupon book credits roughly equaled the annual fee in value. If you think the CL situation you experienced will continue, you may not want to keep the card (I wouldn’t if 40 min waits become standard).

Last edited by notquiteaff; Jul 1, 2021 at 1:51 am
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Corey Sacken
Jesus limited options on streaming credit, yikes!
​​​​​​ Thank God I'm obsessed with audible (80 books on my account). I have a premium plus membership right now, I will just add one under the wife. I get a ton of value there. Sucks for people who don't like audible.

For those hating on hotel credit I love it. Simple date night away or panic scramble on family trip went bad. Very useful. Overall it's net positive if we keep saks credit. Hard to verify yet on that one.
doesn't it require 2 nights?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a couple of AS lounge passes, and sometimes (depending on the front desk) no wait needed.
But I connect from C to C gates, round trip to N seems a bit far fetched.
AS lounge isn't even at the same level as a CL.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by Ijones027
doesn't it require 2 nights?
THC does, FHR does not
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I’ve we are still having capacity issues due to COVID restrictions. Pre-COVID SeaTac was my most frequently visited lounge, and most of the time I was able to get in without wait.

On the other hand the guest access changes will require me to evaluate whether to get a AU card for my wife or pay-as-we-go, which adds to the overall cost.

But my main point really was: I would not hold the Plat card even if the coupon book credits roughly equaled the annual fee in value. If you think the CL situation you experienced will continue, you may not want to keep the card (I wouldn’t if 40 min waits become standard).
one quick question: does the guest limit apply to your spouse and other direct family members?

Platinum card slowly becomes a coupon book over the years. One has to have a todo list tracking down which offers/deals haven’t been used. This annoys AF.

I mainly fly AS, which means I have to go through SEA several times (around a dozen or so) in a year. Beyond that I don’t see the value of CL to me.

It’s a tough decision whether to keep Plat or not.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lsquare
AS lounge isn't even at the same level as a CL.
New AS lounge at SEA N is better than CL at SEA B, except for the location.
hedoman likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Corey Sacken
Jesus limited options on streaming credit, yikes!
​​​​​​ Thank God I'm obsessed with audible (80 books on my account). I have a premium plus membership right now, I will just add one under the wife. I get a ton of value there. Sucks for people who don't like audible.

For those hating on hotel credit I love it. Simple date night away or panic scramble on family trip went bad. Very useful. Overall it's net positive if we keep saks credit. Hard to verify yet on that one.
Hotel collection requires two date nights minimum.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:33 am
Original Poster

About that Equinox credit, fine prints say only apply to All Access, Destination Access, and Equinox+.

That means, a regular Equinox single club access member cannot use this “credit”.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:54 am

Any shot amex with match the new offer if it will be great if I applied today for the old one?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New AS lounge at SEA N is better than CL at SEA B, except for the location.
Haha ok. I guess that depends on what metric you're using then.
jhartvu likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lsquare
Haha ok. I guess that depends on what metric you're using then.
yeah. I value the view, where AS located near the runway, I can slomo planes taking off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.