Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:23 am

Oh fun - not eligible for Equinox credit:
This benefit is available to Platinum CardŽ members who pay monthly for Equinox All Access, Destination, E by Equinox or Equinox+ membership only. Your current Equinox membership does not qualify for this benefit.
https://platinum.equinox.com/ - its not a simple statement credit

Guess I will play the retention game this renewal coming up and then cancel when the higher AF hits next year - don't see the value and work to get the value of out this card (especially with the lower Schwab transfer)
Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by lax01
Oh fun - not eligible for Equinox credit:

https://platinum.equinox.com/ - its not a simple statement credit

Guess I will play the retention game this renewal coming up and then cancel when the higher AF hits next year - don't see the value and work to get the value of out this card (especially with the lower Schwab transfer)
It’s laughable that even the most exclusive credit is difficult to use.
notquiteaff, ck8, lsquare and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
With the Fine Hotels .... a) 2 nights min stay and b) prepaid only
Found something slightly interesting but they offered only cancellable rates. Not willing to spend $1.2k for a weekend just to get $200 back
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by blitzen
With the Fine Hotels .... a) 2 nights min stay and b) prepaid only
Found something slightly interesting but they offered only cancellable rates. Not willing to spend $1.2k for a weekend just to get $200 back
a) FHR can be had for just one night. THC requires two

b) It’s prepaid but refundable, most of the time.
blitzen and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by time_stamp
This is what I utilize with my current AmEx Green Card. I have UA Gold, which brings the pricing down to $109, so I pay $9 out of pocket for the yearly fee.
Can I justify both Green and Plat now that Plat has the Clear credits? Probably not.

Other than the existing credits, the new credits bring nothing to the table for me personally. It's a hard choice whether to keep it or not.
re:hotel credits. With Airbnbs, hotels are just not the same anymore, although I understand the allure of using them sometimes.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Does anyone know if all these new perks start today???? or when they start, i've read a few articles but haven't seen this specifically mentioned.... my sirius xmis up for renewal and if i have to pay more to get it monthly but its "free" ill go that route over annual.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried some hotel searches. I really doubt I'll be using that benefit, but I suppose there's a chance.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:43 am

Booking via FHR seems to bring me to amextravel.com.
According to this logic, I would assume that the current: "Receive a $200 Travel Credit - Book through American Express Travel to receive up to $200 in statement credits for eligible travel purchases on your eligible Platinum Card. Through December 31, 2021." stacks with the new $200 hotel credit.

So that's a decent value for those who still have not used their $200 travel credit.
TravelingZoomer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 11:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by miadukes
Does anyone know if all these new perks start today???? or when they start, i've read a few articles but haven't seen this specifically mentioned.... my sirius xmis up for renewal and if i have to pay more to get it monthly but its "free" ill go that route over annual.
Since the only way to sign up for Equinox for instance is to be charged today, then I would assume it starts today. Same thing with Audible. They take payment today. They rolled it out today, so it's active. I already made a transaction on audible.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Since the only way to sign up for Equinox for instance is to be charged today, then I would assume it starts today. Same thing with Audible. They take payment today. They rolled it out today, so it's active. I already made a transaction on audible.
it looks like it starts today, but you have to enroll before the streaming credits are active.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I have a question for one of you guys. I went to the process of enrolling in Equinox through the AMEX app. I entered my card number, etc, but when it hit the payment screen to start the membership, I closed it. I checked the Amex App again and it said pending, which I expected. But, just now I logged into the website and says I'm ENROLLED. I had to say all that to ask this question, since they sale OTHER stuff on their site, do you think we could buy stuff on there for $25 or less and get a credit??? They have several items on there I would definitely buy monthly, like those dry bags. I'm thinking about doing a test run and I'll report back if I get the credit. What do you guys think????
Old Jul 1, 2021, 11:36 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I have a question for one of you guys. I went to the process of enrolling in Equinox through the AMEX app. I entered my card number, etc, but when it hit the payment screen to start the membership, I closed it. I checked the Amex App again and it said pending, which I expected. But, just now I logged into the website and says I'm ENROLLED. I had to say all that to ask this question, since they sale OTHER stuff on their site, do you think we could buy stuff on there for $25 or less and get a credit??? They have several items on there I would definitely buy monthly, like those dry bags. I'm thinking about doing a test run and I'll report back if I get the credit. What do you guys think????
Be the data point! Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2021, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
I tried some hotel searches. I really doubt I'll be using that benefit, but I suppose there's a chance.
Couldn't you just book a prepaid, but refundable reservation and then cancel after the $200 credit has posted?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: Starwood, Marriott Rewards
I wonder how this will affect the MS Platinum. Will the Engagement Bonus still refund the full AF, or just a portion? Or, will MS discontinue their relationship with Amex altogether? Or were the earlier changes - requiring deposits into the Cash Plus account, etc - made because they were given advance warning of these changes?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 11:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,

Take this with a grain of salt, but Chat Reps say old card members are grandfathered into the old fee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.