Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2021, 5:30 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Once again, FHR booking let’s you put your loyalty number. I don’t know how many times this needs repeating
Its not given that it'll credit to your program though, that's up to the property in question. That bears mentioning.
Gasolin, truncated, jtc246 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
So far today, I signed up for $14.95 Audible and $4.24 NYT Monthly Entertainment Credits, totaling about $19.19. I'll re-evaluate next year.
Were you able to activate the benefit on your account already? I still cannot activate it on mine.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
A Delta Platinum card is NOT a Platinum card. Delta card holders are annoyingly easily confused.
There was once also a Costco Platinum Amex. Like the Delta one, it wasn't a real Platinum Amex.

Amex really needs to stop with the name overlap.

Not to mention Delta's Platinum status, which adds to the confusion.
SpaethCo and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Referral Bonuses
AmEx just bumped referral bonuses from existing personal Plat accounts to 30K. Recipients can still use those links to apply for any AmEx card.
Strange. Still 15k for me.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 5:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by GUWonder
But what does it mean or not mean at the hotels where an FHR prepaid booking may look largely indistinguishable from what Expedia may send over?
I don’t know, as that’s never happened to me. I’ve only booked with Bonvoy and Hilton though so I guess YMMV.

The reservation always says “non-commissionable rate” if that provides and solace
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t know, as that’s never happened to me. I’ve only booked with Bonvoy and Hilton though so I guess YMMV.

The reservation always says “non-commissionable rate” if that provides and solace
If I book with the $200 hotel credit, will I still earn EQNs at Marriott, Hilton, or Hyatt?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:22 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'm just not seeing 695 in benefits unless they have a lot of nice online offers like they did this year with Home Depot and best buy
Agreed, and I don't feel like keeping track of all these benefits to make sure I have used them. I want to travel, not keep my excel spreadsheet updated constantly.
Steve M, notquiteaff and dhphx like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eajusa
Agreed, and I don't feel like keeping track of all these benefits to make sure I have used them. I want to travel, not keep my excel spreadsheet updated constantly.
I've had the whole day to think about this and I really doubt I'm going to pay the higher AF next year. I think I'm going to stick with my plan and sign up for a Business Platinum instead. You're right, it's annoying having to keep track of these credits with Excel. Definitely not consumer-friendly on AMEX's part. I suspect the Equinox credit will be mostly unused.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by lsquare
If I book with the $200 hotel credit, will I still earn EQNs at Marriott, Hilton, or Hyatt?
I have for every Hilton (mostly Conrad’s) and every Marriott (JWs and Luxury Collection) FHR stay. Never used it for Hyatt.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have for every Hilton (mostly Conrad’s) and every Marriott (JWs and Luxury Collection) FHR stay. Never used it for Hyatt.
I'm confused with all of the acronyms used here. How do I know I'll get the EQNs? If I do, I can probably value the credit closer to face value. Otherwise, it's a waste...
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
All the "Hilton" hotels I checked today on the "Hotel Collection" had a message to call the number on the back of my card. Well, if the $200 Hotel Credit specifically says not to book via telephone I'm hoping I'm able to use this credit before the end of this year. Otherwise, I'll just treat myself to a luxury hotel one night.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:58 pm

Do additional authorized users get this benefit too or is it a family benefit
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:02 pm
FT

Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
I am not sure I place much value in a CLEAR membership. Honestly I have always breezed through on Precheck alone. CLEAR doesn't seem to add much value, certainly not anywhere close to its price tag. I will tentatively set that one aside as a zero.
Off topic slightly, but I agree. Fake benefit to me. I don't understand Clear. I get to pay to give someone my biometric info all so I can get through security at the same pace as having Global Entry.

Equinox also falls in this category for me.

Streaming is a bit of a letdown vs expectations they set last year with the credits. Resy may be interesting.

I say this and want to add that I've been a very happy and loyal AMEX customer. AMEX offers help offset the fee additionally along with the benefits utilized. I understand that the fee has to increase every few years. In 5 years, we'll be discussing the increase to $950. I have zero issues with this.
jtc246 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by FT
Off topic slightly, but I agree. Fake benefit to me. I don't understand Clear. I get to pay to give someone my biometric info all so I can get through security at the same pace as having Global Entry.

Equinox also falls in this category for me.

Streaming is a bit of a letdown vs expectations they set last year with the credits. Resy may be interesting.

I say this and want to add that I've been a very happy and loyal AMEX customer. AMEX offers help offset the fee additionally along with the benefits utilized. I understand that the fee has to increase every few years. In 5 years, we'll be discussing the increase to $950. I have zero issues with this.
To me the Platinum Card should be treated as a "Travel Card", but I don't understand why AMEX only has Uber and Dining Credit (offers) for the US. The only reason I'm able to use the Dining Credits through the remainder of this year is because I load my starbucks app. I can't use ANY Uber monthly credits, or the UberEats Amex pass offer where I'm located, unless I buy a pass down here too. Not sure about the Resy benefit, but it does show restaurants in my city since I signed up for the benefit. I'll test it out in August on my next trip. I'll keep Amex until I feel it no longer serves a purpose to me, but if traveling picks up again and more countries open up, I can see more of a benefit, especially with lounges.
saltytheseagull likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:17 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm confused with all of the acronyms used here. How do I know I'll get the EQNs? If I do, I can probably value the credit closer to face value. Otherwise, it's a waste...
That's the issue for me, you won't "know" you will get it, just that you "probably" will. Another issue is that I generally find a better price by booking directly with the hotel, though there are some good deal occasionally. I also admit I'm not FHR expert, I've only used it a couple times the last 5 years, I believe I did get elite credit both times.

All that being said, I don't value this benefit anywhere near $200, just because of the above, perhaps if I learn to use it better I may change my tune,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.