Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Be the data point! Thanks!
I'm on their site right now. Was ready to pull the trigger, but noticed that the website changes to "equinox the shop" when you buy merchandise, however if you purchase a gift card it stays on the equinox page. I think I'll pass for now even though I really want to try to just test it.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Thanks everyone, I will go in and enroll this evening and start using them up then!
Old Jul 1, 2021, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by surfmonkey89
I wonder how this will affect the MS Platinum. Will the Engagement Bonus still refund the full AF, or just a portion? Or, will MS discontinue their relationship with Amex altogether? Or were the earlier changes - requiring deposits into the Cash Plus account, etc - made because they were given advance warning of these changes?
The previous program was Premier Cash Management which required $1m AUM or $100k in debit card transactions to get the bonus. The new CashPlus program was put in place to bolster deposits to fuel their lucrative corporate lending initiatives - things were bleak in 2018/2019 ( https://www.advisorhub.com/morgan-st...loan-capacity/ ) so they shifted from rewarding AUM to rewarding people keeping cash in Morgan Stanley Private Bank. The biggest risk to the MS Amex credit has absolutely nothing to do with Amex, it's that banks haven't had this much cash in years - it's to the point where they're pushing corporate clients to reduce deposits: https://www.wsj.com/articles/banks-t...se-11623238200

I think the $0.01/MR invest with rewards and first complimentary additional member card sticks around with a Morgan Stanley relationship, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the engagement bonus go back to some other metric tied to profits (maybe back to $1m+ AUM?) now that deposits aren't a problem.
dw and surfmonkey89 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
My card was targeted for the $200 travel credit since I renewed during the pandemic. It seems AMEX is treating me as already having used the newly announced benefit for this calendar year "Congratulations! You’ve received $200 in travel credits.".
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
$149 increase with an easy to use $200 hotel credit negates the fee increase for me. I will have no trouble using that credit organically.

Equinox is useless for me, even though I live in one of their cities. This isn't enough of an incentive to get me to switch.

The entertainment credit partners are limited and it's annoying that it's a monthly credit when annual subscriptions are usually a much better deal.

I get Clear for free from United so no help there. Unfortunately just like the Global Entry credit this is becoming a benefit that's duplicated by a bunch of companies and thus useless after the first one. It's also going to increase the number of Clear members which, like precheck means that eventually everyone has it and the benefit reduces over time. There have been a number of times recently where the Clear line was longer than the precheck line.

Overall I don't care for all of these monthly credit benefits. They inevitably don't credit for one reason or another regularly, and then I have to call in or chat half a dozen times to "save" $20. It feels cheap.

Audible book purchases count. I'm going to buy three credits.

They also have daily deals and those will count as well. I bought two good books that I liked for $1.95 each. Come on guys you're deal makers. You can make this work 👍
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
It

Take this with a grain of salt, but Chat Reps say old card members are grandfathered into the old fee
It says fairly clearly in the terms and conditions that for existing members, the new fee will increase starting Jan 1 2022 (so any renewals after Jan 1 2022 will be at the new fee. Any renewals till Dec 31 2021 will be at the old rate.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
This is tangentially related (and maybe in a different thread) but I just observed that Clear has also increased their "family member" fee from $50 to $60. Which still allows you to get primary+1 family member free with the AmEx credit ($119 + 60). But if you add a second member, then you have a cost of $60 now instead of $40 for a second family member.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I have a question for one of you guys. I went to the process of enrolling in Equinox through the AMEX app. I entered my card number, etc, but when it hit the payment screen to start the membership, I closed it. I checked the Amex App again and it said pending, which I expected. But, just now I logged into the website and says I'm ENROLLED. I had to say all that to ask this question, since they sale OTHER stuff on their site, do you think we could buy stuff on there for $25 or less and get a credit??? They have several items on there I would definitely buy monthly, like those dry bags. I'm thinking about doing a test run and I'll report back if I get the credit. What do you guys think????
I'm quoting myself. I went ahead and tried this. I doubt 100% that buying anything off the Equinox site will provide a credit, other than if you buy a gift card, that you can use on their site to purchase items, but the gift cards start at $100.

I just purchased a pack of face masks and the receipt says "Equinox The Shop doing Business as Energy Gear". So DO NOT buy anything off the shopping portal. The only thing that will work for the Amex Equinox Credit are Memberships as far as I can see.

To the OP or somebody who knows how, could you post this info at the top in the Wiki, which I don't see. Thanks.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer

Take this with a grain of salt, but Chat Reps say old card members are grandfathered into the old fee
i don’t believe anyone has suggested that that would be the case at all. I’d go beyond a grain of salt and just say this is likely a mis-informed rep.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I am an existing Equinox member, and I signed up for the benefit through the Amex website (which kicked me over to an Equinox branded site). I entered in my Platinum number, and it changed my card number in Equinox profile and app. I would guess it is highly unlikely that anything but a member fee triggers the credit (but people can try)
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Amazing how someone can copy the chat text and interpret it to mean something it clearly does not say.
Diplomatico and jhartvu like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by thelark
i don’t believe anyone has suggested that that would be the case at all. I’d go beyond a grain of salt and just say this is likely a mis-informed rep.
Not sure what you comment/problem is as that is on the AMex website > if your card renews December 2021 the higher fee kicks in Dec 2022

You now have access to benefits that can add up to over $1,400 in value annually. With a new annual fee of $695 effective upon your next Card renewal on or after January 1st, 2022, there is more to explore than ever before. See how below.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by thelark
Actually the chat rep told the truth, notice will go out when it's announced.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Has anyone read the T&C's under the $200 Hotel Credit?!

U.S. Consumer Basic and Additional Platinum Card® Members may receive up to a total of $200 in statement credits each calendar year, across all Cards on the Account, when using their eligible Platinum Card on eligible, prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® and The Hotel Collection bookings made through American Express Travel (meaning through amextravel.com, the Amex® App, or by calling the phone number on the back of your eligible Platinum Card). Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Card Members are not eligible for the benefit.
Could this be accurate?! What would holding a Delta Platinum card have to do with this benefit? I hold both the Amex Platinum and Delta Platinum CC so this worries me a bit. Especially considering this is likely the ONLY benefit I will utilize from the increased fee.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
Not sure what you comment/problem is as that is on the AMex website > if your card renews December 2021 the higher fee kicks in Dec 2022

You now have access to benefits that can add up to over $1,400 in value annually. With a new annual fee of $695 effective upon your next Card renewal on or after January 1st, 2022, there is more to explore than ever before. See how below.
there is no “comment/problem” - I completely agree and couldn’t remember the exact terms when responding to the previous poster.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.