Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:18 am

I can't even use their stupid Equionox app. Who pays $39 for that crap? I thought I could use it with the discount and get some good videos, but at that price point it's useless to me
m907 and eneq like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Ijones027
doesn't it require 2 nights?
FHR is awesome which is good enough for me.

Also for audible purchases work as well. When you have less than three credits, you can buy three additional credits for like 30 bucks so that has benefit too.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:23 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
FHR/Hotel Collection is best suited for

1) Luxury hotels where you are willing to pay the rate anyway and the enhanced benefits (breakfast, late checkout, upgrade) are worth it
2) Independent hotels

I always check FHR for vacation trips but may or may not use it in any given year. Like the airline fee credit I view it as a bonus more than anything else

I still have the $200 travel credit Amex gave us last year on my Schwab, I assume it stacks

Also are these calendar year or membership year credits?
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
In most cases, no. THC and FHR are a limited subset of hotels. That's probably why Amex did it this way, as opposed to it being a $200 Amex Travel credit that could be used on any air/hotel.

Just as an example, I searched for a trip I'm taking to Denver next month. The 2 days I searched, The Hotel Collection had 0 results, and FHR had 4, the least expensive being $239/nt (which is cheaper than I expected, but its a Hilton).
That's terrible news. The rumor was that it can be used for any hotel booked through AmEx's portal.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
This seems like a pile of flaming garbage. I remember when the AMEX Plat had an aura around it -- now it's a coupon book? Give me a break. FHR/TH is mostly useless (among other things I can't use my hotel benefits).

I'm nowhere near an Equinox, I am not looking for a Wheels Up membership, and I pay was less than $20/month for my SiriusXM membership (and don't use any of those other services). Plus there is no CLEAR at RDU (home airport) so sure I can go ahead and use this for a free CLEAR membership that will sometimes benefit me depending on where I fly but not always.

The main reason I hold onto the AMEX Plat these days is for the SkyClub access (a diminished benefit for 2020 and 2021 given COVID). Seems like my better play is to switch to the DL AMEX Reserve and simultaneously give up both my AMEX Plat and my DL AMEX Plat. I'll save money, gain an F companion pass, and still have my SkyClub access and MQD waiver opportunity for 2022 and beyond (already have for 2021).

Plus I've had an AMEX EveryDay for a while so there's no concern with losing my AMEX MR stash if I ditch the AMEX Plat
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Corey Sacken
FHR is awesome which is good enough for me.

Also for audible purchases work as well. When you have less than three credits, you can buy three additional credits for like 30 bucks so that has benefit too.
I had forgotten about that! I'm down to one credit now, with 12 renewing (lump sum at once) in August, so that's six books @ $3 each for this month and next.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Very few people are screwed - other products (Amex Gold) are cheaper and actually generate more rewards points, other products offer lounge access, and members have until 2022 to decide

Also, as far as I can tell no benefits were taken away
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I had forgotten about that!
Glad I can help. Maximize the best of the ... situation lol

Last edited by mia; Jul 3, 2021 at 11:55 am Reason: Please read rule 16.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
That's terrible news. The rumor was that it can be used for any hotel booked through AmEx's portal.
Well, the rumor also indicated that the entertainment credit would be, entertaining, so theres that
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I haven’t read through the whole thread…but the Resy offer…

125k after $6k spend in 6 months
15x up to $25k on restaurants and shop small in 6 months

500k sign up bonus. Really doing this, AMEX, aren’t we.

Car dealerships by me are all listed as Shop Small locations. If you are in the market for a car, it would be worth negotiating with the dealership to put $25k on AMEX.
Dreamwalker likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
To be fair, these upgrades are not that bad. All the old benefits stay, and you're getting $20/month for the NY Times, which I already subscribe to anyway, $200 credit towards hotels, and $179 for CLEAR, whatever that is. Saks, Uber, all remain. Probably worth another $150/year.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:52 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by synzero
As for Uber you've mentioned multiple times the gift cards are discounted 15% - where? I don't see any easily accessible public offer for that. If you mean a physical gift card then it's useless to me, I'm not going to go out of my way to buy a physical gift card.
Those promotions come and go quickly. It has been offered on Amazon and Best Buy for short periods in the last month.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:11 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by IndyHoosier
Welp, that takes the value of that credit from $240 to $0 for me.
And $200 for me!!! All cars fully covered with 2 Amex Plats (3 vehicles). Can't live without my Sirius XM Radio ...
add to that $200 for WN tickets + $200 for Uber Eats + $100 fo Saks 5th Ave. and that is free Centurion Lounge!!!
I get Clear for free due to being 1K with UA, so that one is the only one I will have to transfer to someone else.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by dayone
Those promotions come and go quickly. It has been offered on Amazon and Best Buy for short periods in the last month.
I was able to snag $240 Uber gc for $120 using 1 amex point from 2 accounts under the same prime account as well. Makes it easier and more beneficial using the monthly credits.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by synzero
I agree, this is looking like a massive win.

$200 Hotel FHR/THC credit
$179 Clear Credit (really worth more like $109 or $119 depending on what discount you get)
$240 Digital Entertainment Credit
$300 Equinox Credit ($25/month)

From multiple rumors, the various snippets from AX website, and that YouTube video, we still have:
$200 Uber credit
$100 Saks
$200 Airline credit

Even without using the airline credit AT ALL, completely ignoring the Equinox "credit", that is $849 in easily usable credits (for me, at least), and if I can still use some of that airline credit with the various workarounds that still work - could be as much as $1049 in credits for a card that costs $695? Ridiculous (in a good way). Not to mention lounge access, the great return protection / purchase protection insurance, and emergency medical evacuation insurance, etc.
I have no use for CLEAR; I am already overloaded on digital entertainment and the Amex selection is too limited to be worth anything to me; the Equinox credit worthless for me; and most months I have no real need for the Uber credit and the SAKS credit provides no net value for me.

With the hotel credit not necessarily resulting in getting hotel loyalty program benefits/points, that too is something I may have to discount a bit from its face value.

While I will likely keep this card anyway, I’m not seeing a net gain from these new “benefits”. What I’m seeing is: Amex providing something at little to no real expense for itself while marketing for its partner companies at the partner companies’ expense; and a big fee increase.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 1, 2021 at 8:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.