Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2021, 8:26 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chrisny2
I had to wait 90 days and ask (again) for a manual credit for my TSA credit.
That's what I'll have to do I'm sure. The rep told me to wait 8 weeks for it to post. I'm starting to get the feeling Amex just wants us to forget to ask and they won't ever have to refund it...
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:44 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FT
I can confirm that the Global Entry credit is an exception to the rule. It shouldn't be per AMEX Ts & Cs.
It shouldn't be an exception to the rule according to the rules? That's literally what makes it an exception to the rule (an unwritten exception in this situation).
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
"Pay us $695 in advance and we'll tell where you can spend that money". Awesome, AMEX. Thanks.
I was paying $300/year for the Platinum Card over 20 years ago, lounge access alone justified the cost. Now it's $695 but I can earn back that and more with various credits and promotions (including AMEX Offers) and get the rest of the benefits for free in effect. I wish they'd just lower the fee a little and get rid of all these gimmicks and stick with non-dollar denominated travel benefits to cull the herd. Apparently though marketing to a larger audience is more lucrative for AMEX, and in the end it has lowered my cost for the benefits, so I'm not complaining too much.
FT, ck8, lsquare and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Originally Posted by zorbachs
I hope the CLEAR credit posts faster than my TSA renewal. I am still waiting for that over a month later.
Originally Posted by chrisny2
I had to wait 90 days and ask (again) for a manual credit for my TSA credit.
That is strange, my GE credit posted literally the next day. And this DP is from last week.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 6:12 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Beckles
I was paying $300/year for the Platinum Card over 20 years ago, lounge access alone justified the cost. Now it's $695 but I can earn back that and more with various credits and promotions (including AMEX Offers) and get the rest of the benefits for free in effect. I wish they'd just lower the fee a little and get rid of all these gimmicks and stick with non-dollar denominated travel benefits to cull the herd. Apparently though marketing to a larger audience is more lucrative for AMEX, and in the end it has lowered my cost for the benefits, so I'm not complaining too much.
I did an annual fee accounting yesterday - I basically attributed all my lounge access value to my Delta Reserve card and still got about $1,100 in value from Amex Platinum
Old Jul 9, 2021, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I did an annual fee accounting yesterday - I basically attributed all my lounge access value to my Delta Reserve card and still got about $1,100 in value from Amex Platinum
Even though Delta was my primary program (currently it's Southwest because all my flying is leisure and the wife and I were both able to score Companion Passes for our family of four with recent promotions), the Delta Reserve card wouldn't work as my only card since I do sometimes fly other airlines and lounge access on Reserve is only when flying Delta. I am probably a pretty lucrative customer for AMEX, I have the Platinum Card, the Aspire Card, and the Delta Reserve Card, so with this latest fee increase they're getting $1,685 per year in annual fees from me and I am putting $70k/year+ spending on the three cards. I did get rid of my second Delta Reserve Card a few months ago, couldn't justify both now that you can do four MQM boosts per year on a single card, dropped it down to a free Blue Delta card because it is one of my oldest credit accounts. The Reserve Card is the hardest to justify, the Aspire Card pays for itself with the airline and hotel credit plus Diamond status. Hopefully I can get good use out of my Companion Certificate this year.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Beckles
Apparently though marketing to a larger audience is more lucrative for AMEX, and in the end it has lowered my cost for the benefits, so I'm not complaining too much.
The way I see it, with changes like a higher AF, Equinox benefits, and limiting Centurion guests, the target audience is smaller, but seeking a higher engagement.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
A lot of people seem be suggesting Amex should focus the card more on “travel.” What additional travel benefits could Amex profitably add to the card? Aside from some kind of general hotel/travel multiplier there are already a lot of travel benefits
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
A lot of people seem be suggesting Amex should focus the card more on “travel.” What additional travel benefits could Amex profitably add to the card? Aside from some kind of general hotel/travel multiplier there are already a lot of travel benefits
Perhaps the new precedent of subjecting a benefit (Centurion guesting) to a certain level of spend can be expanded to other parts of the card to make it more palatable for general use. Spend $50K and unlock a 3X multiplier on hotels or 2X on all spend, something of that sort.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Yes, more points for metros, subways, buses, ride sharing, taxis, but I guess that's what the Green card is for.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
easy, instead of offering a bunch of credits, offer airline status. Even something like United gold, DL gold and American platinum would be great
Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by moe8555
....unlock a 3X multiplier on hotels or 2X on all spend, something of that sort.
American Express wants $75,000 spend to add free Centurion Lounge guests. Do we think that threshold was set because $75k spend represents a low percentage of Platinum cardholders -or- was it a financial calculation to offset lost guest fees with transaction fees?
Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:25 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by mia
American Express wants $75,000 spend to add free Centurion Lounge guests. Do we think that threshold was set because $75k spend represents a low percentage of Platinum cardholders -or- was it a financial calculation to offset lost guest fees with transaction fees?
This would be a great question to throw at a job candidate
friedablass likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
easy, instead of offering a bunch of credits, offer airline status. Even something like United gold, DL gold and American platinum would be great
Why would any airline agree to this (adding millions of customers to their elite customer base)? I guess Amex does offer Delta Platinum to Centurion holders, but that card is much more limited and expensive.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Why would any airline agree to this (adding millions of customers to their elite customer base)? I guess Amex does offer Delta Platinum to Centurion holders, but that card is much more limited and expensive.

Why would they agree? If Amex stopped offering credits, but instead paid an airline some portion of the annual fee for some level of elite status, the airline could probably bring in lots of easy cash. With that being said, I think it would be a bad long term move for any airline to do. If everyone is Elite, then no one really is...AKA the HHonors model, LOL.
WasKnown likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.