Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by zxrst
There are a couple of "easy to maintain" 2% cash back cards. 2.625% sounds nice, but in realty, you earn only extra $187.5 even with $30,000 spending. You are better off just by getting ONE new card SUB or redeem some American express offers.
I think 2% or 2.625% cash back cards are great for saving a baseline amount without any further work. Those of us in this thread probably consider looking for good new signup bonuses and tracking/redeeming Amex/Chase offers to be part of the travel optimization hobby. Others don’t want another part time job.
jtc246 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
....agree with mia that Amex Plat beats CSR specifically for airfare.
...but it may not beat it by enough to justify the $695 fee. Here's my idiosyncrasy. I don't care what conclusions others reach, but I am very interested in the reasoning and evidence they use to get there. When I ask this type of question it doesn't mean I disagree, it means there was a gap in the explanation that I'd like to understand.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Did any existing cardmember with renewal dates Jan or later get notice of higher fee in their July statement? My account anniversary is in Dec but the annual fee bills on Jan statement. I'm assuming I'll be hit with $695 fee.

July statement closed with notices about CS Invest with rewards, new benefits, centurion access changes but no mention of fee increase.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Acid
Did any existing cardmember with renewal dates Jan or later get notice of higher fee in their July statement? My account anniversary is in Dec but the annual fee bills on Jan statement. I'm assuming I'll be hit with $695 fee.

July statement closed with notices about CS Invest with rewards, new benefits, centurion access changes but no mention of fee increase.
Did you get this email last week?

my AF posts in late January.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by mia
Show us your arithmetic:

Chase $50,000 x 3 = 150,000 UR points x $0.015 = $2,250
Amex $50,000 x 5 = 250,000 MR points x $0.011 = $2,750
I can move the travel over to chase and save the $695. My sapphire reserve fee is already covered by dining.
ck8 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Statman
To the best of my knowledge, the Platinum benefits NEVER extend to the free Gold card for authorized users.
Below is an email that my AU received last week - they have a free gold card. It clearly states which benefits are "shared" with the primary card holder.

(sorry for the size, I had to edit and remove many of the images to get the file size small enough for FT requirements)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Amex ad.pdf (270.1 KB, 45 views)
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jags86
I mean CSR vs Platinum, of course. But I disagree looking at the portfolio overall. Most folks have 1 or 2 cards they use regularly. AMEX Gold is 4x on restaurants and groceries. I would say “regular people” are spending way more on groceries and dining and earning 4x vs. 3x on travel and dining.

1.5cpp with PYB is great…but if that’s what you regularly use your points for, I think the the Altitude Reserve is superior to what Chase offers. Yes, you are losing 5x opportunities…but “regular people” aren’t heavily shopping 5x categories with an ink cash card and “regular people” aren’t keeping up with or maximizing the 5x Freedom categories.
The AMEX gold would arguably be the best return on AMEX CB for me. People are attracted to 4 and 5x returns. However, I am curious how the actual math would look to most people. To have the Gold and Platinum is $945 in AFs. If we're talking about a 1-2x difference between other cards, that is quite the spend to get there. While I wouldn't be mad at a better grocery return, some of us buy most of our stuff in warehouse clubs or superstores where this does no good. Heck, I spent more on Lyft the past month than I did in grocery stores. CIC gets me 7.5% on recurring charges like internet, TV streaming, and cell phone. That's without having to redo my plans to work around some "credit".

It's tough to group all of the spending habits of "regular people." Everyone spends their money differently. Some people would be legitimately better with a free card. Some people don't even know where they spend their money. Some are missing out on big rewards for multiple reasons. As much as people hate to hear this, the 4 and 5x points are largely for theater. Your average person isn't cleaning up nearly as much as they think they are.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Did you get this email last week?

my AF posts in late January.
I got the email, but prior rumors were that July statement will include the official notice of fee increase. Cardmember agreement also mentions $550 still. So does a December anniversary but Jan statement AF post date mean we are still considered as Dec 'renewal'?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Acid
I got the email, but prior rumors were that July statement will include the official notice of fee increase. Cardmember agreement also mentions $550 still. So does a December anniversary but Jan statement AF post date mean we are still considered as Dec 'renewal'?
Hmm, that’s an interesting point. The screenshot of my email talks about anniversary renewal date. What’s the definition of that - the date on which the annual fee posts, or the actual anniversary of the opening date of the account? My AF posts apparently at the end of the January billing cycle near the end of Jan, but that statement always has some trx from December, so I presumably opened my account in December.

I haven’t received my July statement yet, so unfortunately I can’t answer your actual question.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Jul 12, 2021 at 5:45 pm Reason: Correction: anniversary date -> renewal date
Old Jul 12, 2021, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Hmm, that’s an interesting point. The screenshot of my email talks about anniversary date. What’s the definition of that - the date on which the annual fee posts, or the actual anniversary of the opening date of the account? My AF posts apparently at the end of the January billing cycle near the end of Jan, but that statement always has some trx from December, so I presumably opened my account in December.

I haven’t received my July statement yet, so unfortunately I can’t answer your actual question.
I'm assuming there will be many like us here - 'triple dip' season folks who opened their cards in Dec with AF billed in Jan. The 'renewal' date is not clear.
Wondering if anyone with Feb-June AF bill date has their cardmember agreement reflecting $695 fee
Old Jul 12, 2021, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just chatted with Amex CS and they confirmed Jan XX as my renewal date.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold
When does the $200 travel credit reset?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 8:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by festriaqua
When does the $200 travel credit reset?
See the T&C:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...num/terms.html

the credit is "$200 per calendar year", so Jan 1-Dec 31. Supposedly the date of the transaction is the one that "counts" (not when it posts) but at least one person reported otherwise in the DL-specific thread (I don't closely follow the others), so best not to cut it close if you want to be sure.

EDIT: sorry, I had the airline fee credit in my mind by default, but it seems like you were asking about the new-ish $200 travel credit.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
One benefit they could add is to cover Nexus
chrisny2 and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 8:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
One benefit they could add is to cover Nexus
Be better if it was for Lexus.

"I named my daughter Alexis because that's the car I could afford if I didn't have children".

(Think about it for a minute.)
jamesteroh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.