Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Super Mario
...... Few like to admit it, but they love to plop down that metal card for everyone to see.
I don't recall ever plopping down my platinum card. I insert it in the card reader. Only a few times I've handed it over to front desk receptionists at hotels to use for Amex Offers, because they didn't have a portable card reader. But that's about it.
Mama and notquiteaff like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I don't recall ever plopping down my platinum card. I insert it in the card reader. Only a few times I've handed it over to front desk receptionists at hotels to use for Amex Offers, because they didn't have a portable card reader. But that's about it.
And reality, most places you would “plunk it down” (except at the airport at the airline’s counter, or when necessary for offers or credits) are only going to be 1X spend. So apart from working off the spend needed for the SUB, it makes no sense to “plunk this down” at a restaurant or a grocery store (1X) or some other merchant (very likely 1X), unless there is a credit or an offer behind it.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 1:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Super Mario
The "average" American has 3 credit cards. I.... they love to plop down that metal card for everyone to see.
Originally Posted by ziggy29
.... only going to be 1X spend......
It appears the context of the original remark has been lost. Many people do not have another card which earns better rewards. Rewards are not an important consideration for everyone. I know someone who became agitated when American Express told him that he had accumulated hundreds of thousands of points "without his knowledge or permission," and he insisted that they unenroll his card from the program and flush the points. He was much more concerned about things like billing accuracy and US based customer service.
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
And reality, most places you would plunk it down (except at the airport at the airlines counter, or when necessary for offers or credits) are only going to be 1X spend. So apart from working off the spend needed for the SUB, it makes no sense to plunk this down at a restaurant or a grocery store (1X) or some other merchant (very likely 1X), unless there is a credit or an offer behind it.
yup. I get plenty of value out of this, even without Centurion lounge access (which I essentially barely had due to usual lines, and now, since I mostly travel with family, including wife/2 <13 kids, so no ability to get them as AUs anyway, and I wouldnt make the 75K spend limit, even if I thought it might be worth going for it). Use it for cell phone bill (for the insurance, which IMO seems pretty good compared to Freedom cards, for example, since it covers if screen gets cracked, IIRC), and where it makes sense - basically for offers and credits. I get my value there. Even airfare Ill usually (plunk or plop down, or more usually, just put the number on the website) of my CSR since, while its 3x vs. 5x, I find the insurance better for the most part (includes bag delay, easier for a trip to qualify for, only needs partial payment, etc.).

I have no need to impress anyone by showing them I have an Amex. Ill use the card that makes the most sense - if its the plat, great, if its my boring, no AF freedom, I have no problem with that (nothing wrong with a blue card, IMO).
Statman likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 1:11 pm
Suspended

I know some people prefer living a complicated life. One card for grocery (because x2), one card for gas(because x2), one card for restaurants (because x2), one card for hotel A (because x3), one card for hotel B (because x4)....etc.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Mama
I know some people prefer living a complicated life. One card for grocery (because x2), one card for gas(because x2), one card for restaurants (because x2), one card for hotel A (because x3), one card for hotel B (because x4)....etc.
I dont think 3-4 cards is all that complicated. More than about 5, and yeah, unless you really enjoy the game, at some point you start reaching diminishing returns with more work.

Just in the Amex MR ecosystem, you have air travel and hotels through the portal (5X on Plat), dining and groceries (4X on Gold), other travel (3X on Green), everything else (2X on BBP assuming you went through the motions with gig or other side hustle). Throw in some other affinity card where you are loyal for specific benefits, maybe, and thats it. Doesnt seem too complicated to me. Others in the Chase universe do similar.

It may well be that the *average* person carries about 3 cards. But Id wager that among Platinum holders, it is likely considerably higher. The average person wont pay $695 every year for a card.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
There can be diminishing returns to having many cards, especially with how Amex makes you get specific cards for specific purposes. I have said this for years, but this year is finally the year where I try to simplify my card lineup by getting rid of a number of cards. I am likely to drop two Citi cards, one maybe two Amex cards, and some other extraneous cards. That said there are still cards I need/want to pick up, including cards in the Chase family (getting another Sapphire bonus, maybe a Marriott, United or British Airways card) and Capital One (Venture X). There is always another card to get, another bonus to churn.
notquiteaff and DrForce like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Adelphos
There can be diminishing returns to having many cards, especially with how Amex makes you get specific cards for specific purposes. I have said this for years, but this year is finally the year where I try to simplify my card lineup by getting rid of a number of cards. I am likely to drop two Citi cards, one maybe two Amex cards, and some other extraneous cards. That said there are still cards I need/want to pick up,
Same here. I have 17 cards. Many of them see very little action, but earn their place in my sock drawer through benefits such as elite status or free nights or companion passes. But I am in the process of culling the herd, to make room for new SUBs and also to simplify my life somewhat.

I dont think 3-4 cards is all that complicated. More than about 5, and yeah, unless you really enjoy the game, at some point you start reaching diminishing returns with more work.
My physical wallet really only has 2-3 cards when I am not traveling (my Google Wallet has a lot more). At the moment I just carry

- CFU (3X dining, pharmacy)
- Hyatt (2.6X everyday spend, 3.6X dining due to Chase spend offer of 5K for $3K on top of regular earnings)
- UA Gateway (5X for groceries and gas)

For the last year or so, Chase has been running a series of spend promos, so while it is the Gateway card now for groceries and gas, it was the Explorer card in Q4 and the Explorer card in Q3. So cards rotate in and out of my wallet for 3 months of daily spend depending on promos.

Then occasionally when I head to Staples or Office Depot I pull the Ink Cash out of the sock drawer for a gift card promo purchase. Or when I have a Chase or Amex Offer, I take a card out for a specific purchase or use Google Pay

All other cards get mostly used for travel spend, which is usually online or at a hotel.

Even with 17 cards, its not that difficult to optimize spend. And I dont obsess about it; if I mess up and use a suboptimal card, no biggie.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 7:21 pm
mia

....BBP assuming you went through the motions with gig or other side hustle
Not necessary, Just apply, using your own name rather than a business name.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Wonder what we'll get to replace Shoprunner?
Does the company still exist? I used it a few times when AmEx first started offering it, I haven't needed it or seen it listed on the website of an online store in line a decade.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:45 am
mia

Originally Posted by Doppy
Does the company still exist?
Shoprunner is owned by FedEx, they have scores of participating merchants, primarily in apparel category. https://www.shoprunner.com/
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by Mama
Pro tip: use Apple Wallet and you can carry up to 8 cards and use them as necessary based on the multipliers.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 9:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Pro tip: use Apple Wallet and you can carry up to 8 cards and use them as necessary based on the multipliers.
OK, if you insist.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
True, but I don't think her point was simply having to carry a lot of cards, just not wanting to play the game of figuring out how to maximize rewards with each spend.
Mama likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Adelphos

I hadnt paid much attention to this change, but it is actually significant. Now it should be much easier to take advantage of the equinox credit if you have multiple Amex platinum cards. You can run one months charge through one card, then switch cards to the other Amex Platinum. Then you can probably switch to a card that earns better. Increases the value of the credit on the second card.
Just got my second $300 Equinox credit by switching to my Charles Schwab Amex Platinum. Now I will switch my billing either to Delta Reserve or Cap One Venture until 2024. For me, as long as I prioritize Equinox membership, it makes sense to keep multiple Amex Platinum cards. Time to explore Morgan Stanley Amex Plat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.