FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 1:08 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ziggy29
And reality, most places you would “plunk it down” (except at the airport at the airline’s counter, or when necessary for offers or credits) are only going to be 1X spend. So apart from working off the spend needed for the SUB, it makes no sense to “plunk this down” at a restaurant or a grocery store (1X) or some other merchant (very likely 1X), unless there is a credit or an offer behind it.
yup. I get plenty of value out of this, even without Centurion lounge access (which I essentially barely had due to usual lines, and now, since I mostly travel with family, including wife/2 <13 kids, so no ability to get them as AUs anyway, and I wouldn’t make the 75K spend limit, even if I thought it might be worth going for it). Use it for cell phone bill (for the insurance, which IMO seems pretty good compared to Freedom cards, for example, since it covers if screen gets cracked, IIRC), and where it makes sense - basically for offers and credits. I get my value there. Even airfare I’ll usually (plunk or plop down, or more usually, just put the number on the website) of my CSR since, while it’s 3x vs. 5x, I find the insurance better for the most part (includes bag delay, easier for a trip to qualify for, only needs partial payment, etc.).

I have no need to impress anyone by showing them I have an Amex. I’ll use the card that makes the most sense - if it’s the plat, great, if it’s my boring, no AF freedom, I have no problem with that (nothing wrong with a blue card, IMO).