Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Why would any airline agree to this (adding millions of customers to their elite customer base)? I guess Amex does offer Delta Platinum to Centurion holders, but that card is much more limited and expensive.
airlines would do it because
1. Their getting Paid
2. these people wouldn’t fly that much and if they do they would have organically earned the status
3. Mid tier status doesn’t cost the airlines much
4. makes people fly their airline
jtc246 and esc2476 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
easy, instead of offering a bunch of credits, offer airline status. Even something like United gold, DL gold and American platinum would be great
They could even tie this to spend. $75K gets you silver with one airline. $150K gets you either silver with two airlines, or gold with one...or something along those lines.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by arshi007
That is strange, my GE credit posted literally the next day. And this DP is from last week.
It seems most likely that it's because PreCheck enrollments are now mostly (all?) processed by a contractor, IdentoGO, instead of TSA themselves and Amex didn't update their systems to capture charges from that vendor for the PreCheck credit automatically.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by gr2020
They could even tie this to spend. $75K gets you silver with one airline. $150K gets you either silver with two airlines, or gold with one...or something along those lines.
LOL.....while most people keep their platinum cards in the sock drawer.
jamesteroh and jtc246 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
As I reported the beginning of this month, I made an Equinox purchase on their website to see how the charge was coded. Well, as I posted in the Wiki it definitely doesn't post as "Equinox" which I assumed since the website switched over to a different one. But, I just wanted to say they sent me an email to notified me that my purchase is out for delivery and they included a "free" Equinox mask. I ordered two regular masks so they threw one in with their logo also. I feel so special
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:26 am

A lot of people seem be suggesting Amex should focus the card more on “travel.” What additional travel benefits could Amex profitably add to the card? Aside from some kind of general hotel/travel multiplier there are already a lot of travel benefits
How about something--anything--I don't need a spreadsheet to track!
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by pmblinn
How about something--anything--I don't need a spreadsheet to track!
I can't imagine using a spreadsheet for these offers and credits. That's too much work. Why can't people just remember most of them? Or just go into the app and check their accounts once per month where everything is listed. When I go to the US I always go to all my Amex saved offers and see if there's anything I can use since I can't use them where I'm at.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 1:26 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
I think this is a good way to do it. Silver status seems reasonable to open up through spend. It would be a step up from the current methods of earning status through spend with the weird revenue/mile waivers.

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
easy, instead of offering a bunch of credits, offer airline status. Even something like United gold, DL gold and American platinum would be great
I don't think United Gold would ever be offered so easily due to the implications with Star Alliance Gold. Furthermore, Marriott's longstanding relationship with United through RewardsPlus only yields United Silver status at most. I think even Marriott Cobalt status only offers United Silver.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
A lot of people seem be suggesting Amex should focus the card more on “travel.”
The new benefits are perfectly suited for travel:
  1. Enroll in Equinox membership, courtesy of the Equinox credit.
  2. Realize that the closest Equinox gym is more than 700 miles away. Book a flight there and use the Clear credit to skip the security line. Swing by a Priority Pass lounge (probably not a Centurion lounge because there isn't one in your home airport).
  3. Use your FHR credit to have a place to stay for the night after visiting your new gym.
  4. Get a few audiobooks to listen to on the airplane using your Audible subscription.
  5. Get hammered on the plane using your incidentals credit.
  6. Take an Uber from the airport to your hotel upon arrival using your Uber credit.
  7. Realize you forgot your socks and head over to Saks to pick up replacements.

(Originally posted on r/churning.)
Old Jul 9, 2021, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
That would be another useless benefit for me since I fly Delta exclusively unless they gave you another perk with it. Like maybe offer 25K in elite qualifying miles to be added to the airline of your choice after that spend. That way someone who had silver or gold could advance a tiere of for someone like me with Delta Diamond it would give me more rollover MQMs for when I retire and get me closer to my next million mile level.

Or allow someone with status to get just general miles. If someone is silver or higher with the airline of their choice and doesn't care about the status with another airline give them 25,000 in RDM's.

Problem is with the exception of Delta the other airlines are in bed with another credit card company. American is partners with Citi and Chase is partners with Southwest and United.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:07 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I apologize if this has been discussed upthread. Are the benefits associated with the refresh and increased AF available to existing card holders as well? Or are they limited to new card holders who sign up for the new AF? TIA.

LAX
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
LOL.....while most people on FT keep their platinum cards in the sock drawer.
FTFY.

FT is a very small and significantly outlying segment of the overall population. Outside that bubble, most people that have the Amex Plat probably have it as their only Amex or even only card and dump the vast majority of spend on it.
dhuey, IndyHoosier and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I'm not a fan of the "upgrades" offered for the increased fee.

My main benefit was airfare. Pre-Covid, I'd spend close to $50K (wife and me) on airfare. Now the reduced Schwab redeption rate, I believe it will make more sense for me to use the CSR as my airfare card and can the platinum card.
yjc281 and ck8 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
LOL.....while most people keep their platinum cards in the sock drawer.
From what I have personally noticed, the Platinum has it's own purpose neither in the sock drawer, nor getting swiped. I have seen multiple instances where people make sure they flash it to others in some conspicuous form, but never use it. Front of the money clip. Front of the wallet. Showing others and saying "I don't even know why I have this" Pulling it out, knowing you aren't going to use it, only to pick a different card. The toss on the counter for no apparent reason is a solid move to show everyone your metal card means business.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Super Mario
From what I have personally noticed, the Platinum has it's own purpose neither in the sock drawer, nor getting swiped. I have seen multiple instances where people make sure they flash it to others in some conspicuous form, but never use it. Front of the money clip. Front of the wallet. Showing others and saying "I don't even know why I have this" Pulling it out, knowing you aren't going to use it, only to pick a different card. The toss on the counter for no apparent reason is a solid move to show everyone your metal card means business.
LOL, I try to be as inconspicuous as possible. Using it to buy cheese curls at the grocery (10x points for now) seems like a silly way to show everyone you made it and are very important.
dhuey, jtc246 and mildfrequence like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.