Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:57 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Really interesting to know. Can you remind us of the steps you took for activating the benefit? I’ll test out a gift card purchase to take one for the team
I went to the benefits section in the Platinum Card account online, found the Equinox benefit and selected enroll. It takes you to the site platinum.equinox.com, where you either join as a new member or select existing member, where you enter your Equinox log in credentials. I entered my existing credentials, and it confirmed me as eligible to get the benefit; I think I then had to enter my Platinum card number.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Paul5795
Does this actually work? Specifically, if we use daughter's AMEX Plat to pay for Mom's CLEAR membership will daughter actually get a credit on her Plat statement?
worked for others...
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I’ll test out a gift card purchase to take one for the team
Online or at an Eqinox location?
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Beckles
I don't even understand where you're coming from, unless you're playing the game (I am not knocking the game), why would you have 'multiple personal Platinum cards' to begin with? There is a pretty big diminution in value of having more than a single Platinum card for anyone who values many of the travel benefits, that is both before and after the recent changes.
Multiple sign-up bonuses. Vanilla plat, Schwab plat, MS Plat, et al.

Depending upon one's investment choices (and amounts), some of the annual fees may be zero or heavily discounted. Add in retention offers and there may be significantly more value than your post ascribes to this strategy.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 5:28 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
I also looked at OP’s post history (just to give myself more context where they are coming from) and they frequent the manufactured spend forums. Which I’m not knocking, great! I never felt the need to MS because my normal spend habits give me more than enough points for what I need but I know it’s something many of us here benefit from greatly.

But to say they don’t want to play the game, while also holding multiple plat cards and engaging in MS isn’t consistent. It seems like Amex just changed the rules and OP doesn’t want to play this version of Amex’s game anymore. Which is fine, but quite annoying to read the same iteration of “it doesn’t work for me so it shouldn’t work for everyone and Amex is a failing company” rant for every other post in this thread
I don't think the changes to the Platinum really change the MS game at all. If anything, the new elevated SUBs outweigh the higher AFs and actually help that game. I would not MS personally but it is more because I am afraid of getting audited by the IRS (as you are essentially laundering money) and not because I don't see value in it.

Worth looking up the legend of AndySol and his black star Chase links that bypassed 5/24. He made like $120k in cash (and arguably twice that in fair market value of Hyatt points) in just 1 month through MS.

I would be shocked if the IRS didn't hit him up though lol.

--
Also, almost all of the new credits don't stack well with multiple Platinums or player 2s. The only exception is the FHR credit (which is the most useful new credit anyway IMO).
Old Jul 19, 2021, 5:32 pm

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Confirmed: my $2.18 water charge at Equinox generated a $2.18 credit under the Equinox benefit.

As a reminder, I registered for the benefit from the Amex website, which confirmed that I had an eligible membership (All Access or above) to trigger the benefit. I also made the water purchase at the gym. It would seem tough to get around those requirements but it seems like you can get reimbursement for non-membership fee charges as long as you can activate the benefit itself
Would you be willing to see if gift cards work for this?
Old Jul 19, 2021, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Confirmed: my $2.18 water charge at Equinox generated a $2.18 credit under the Equinox benefit.

As a reminder, I registered for the benefit from the Amex website, which confirmed that I had an eligible membership (All Access or above) to trigger the benefit. I also made the water purchase at the gym. It would seem tough to get around those requirements but it seems like you can get reimbursement for non-membership fee charges as long as you can activate the benefit itself
Looks like that doesn’t help those without a desire or ability to join Equinox, right?

(also, I am just shocked that a bottle of water is just $2… presumably that’s not some fancy water sourced from a Mt. Kilimanjaro glacier, but rather filled from the purified NYC municipal water supply agua?)
Old Jul 19, 2021, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by mia

This is advertising. American Express is selling Uber, Saks, Clear, Equinox, Peacock, NYT, Hertz, Avis, National, Hilton, Marriott, etc access to offer cardholders a sample or discount.
I actually wondered myself, what the financial arrangements were, and how much the new benefits are actually costing AmEx.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Diplomatico

Depending upon one's investment choices (and amounts), some of the annual fees may be zero or heavily discounted. Add in retention offers and there may be significantly more value than your post ascribes to this strategy.
Also - this will wind up probably being more true under the lower $550 annual fee, but depending on your valuation of the credits and various need, you could make the argument that it was cheaper to have two separate Plat cards for 2 SOs, rather than paying $175 for an AU that didn't get any of their own credits.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Would you be willing to see if gift cards work for this?
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Looks like that doesn’t help those without a desire or ability to join Equinox, right?

(also, I am just shocked that a bottle of water is just $2… presumably that’s not some fancy water sourced from a Mt. Kilimanjaro glacier, but rather filled from the purified NYC municipal water supply agua?)
I will check for an option, but the cheapest gift card option I saw through the app was $100, so not sure that would work for anyone trying to maximize the credit. I will keep looking and let me know if you see anything different

IME equinox charges an initiation fee off the bat so it may be hard to sign up and maximize the benefit. Those without membership should try to see if they can register without paying anything up front
WasKnown likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:28 pm

On the topic of multiple Platinum cards, it was somewhat possible to justify a regular platinum and. Charles Schwab platinum if you could fully maximize the Uber and Saks credits (which I could). However I cannot fully maximize basically any of the new credits on two cards (for example Equinox and digital credits are worthless on the second card), and Schwab devalued anyway, so two Platinums no longer make sense. I will likely downgrade the vanilla Plat back to Gold.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 8:01 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Diplomatico

You mean what I described in the same sentence immediately before the passage you highlighted?

The poster is going on and on about having to jump through hoops to get value from the card, if they're only doing it for SUB's, that's all well and good, as I said, I'm not knocking the game, everyone knows you'll probably never do better with a Platinum Card than year one with SUB's and double-dipping the calendar year benefits, that's been the case with this card for the past decade or so.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 8:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Beckles
You mean what I described in the same sentence immediately before the passage you highlighted?

The poster is going on and on about having to jump through hoops to get value from the card, if they're only doing it for SUB's, that's all well and good, as I said, I'm not knocking the game, everyone knows you'll probably never do better with a Platinum Card than year one with SUB's and double-dipping the calendar year benefits, that's been the case with this card for the past decade or so.
Good lord, I hate this forum. Blah, blah, blah.

Do what you need to do. Don't draw conclusions from what others do.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
IME equinox charges an initiation fee off the bat so it may be hard to sign up and maximize the benefit. Those without membership should try to see if they can register without paying anything up front
Can we just meet up outside your gym and I send you in with my Plat to get me a case of water bottles?
Old Jul 19, 2021, 8:24 pm

On the topic of multiple Platinum cards, it was somewhat possible to justify a regular platinum and. Charles Schwab platinum if you could fully maximize the Uber and Saks credits (which I could). However I cannot fully maximize basically any of the new credits on two cards (for example Equinox and digital credits are worthless on the second card), and Schwab devalued anyway, so two Platinums no longer make sense. I will likely downgrade the vanilla Plat back to Gold.
The AF is $150 higher. If you can use the multiple $200 FHR credits, you come out ahead.

I agree the Clear, Equinox, and Digital Entertainment credits don't stack well (unless you LOVE audio books lol).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.