Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by hotturnip
I've done it a couple of times already, but just at $100 per transaction. I think a $700 grocery charge might raise some eyebrows.
I'm super curious about this too. I wonder if there would be a difference if it was $700 in VISA or MC gift cards compared to a retail gift card (think a store gift card, etc). I know Safeway sells Disney tickets and I was thinking of next year buying a 3 or 4 day Disney ticket bundle at a Safeway for 4x instead of at the theme park. I mean these are products at the store, not just something quick that can be liquidated back into cash. I would hope they would also be looking to see if you're doing $700 a week for a month or $700 every month for five months or something. A random selection of cards throughout the year, maybe especially around holidays, I would hope Amex would understand is probably legit spending and not manufactured spending.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by acarney
I'm super curious about this too. I wonder if there would be a difference if it was $700 in VISA or MC gift cards compared to a retail gift card (think a store gift card, etc). ... I would hope Amex would understand is probably legit spending and not manufactured spending.
You think Amex really cares? They get the same swipe fee either way, and as long as it's not for the purposes of meeting min spend, Amex DGAF about MSing so long as you don't trip any fraud/FR wires. All of my grocery store transactions of $500 VGCs + beer/bananas/bread/etc are coding as 4x. I'm not concerned, but then again I'm not racing to do $25k in spend before year end. But on an annualized basis that's only $2k/month. That's nothing VGC volume wise. I think Amex on a certain level knows people will MS this. I mean why else would they have put a cap of $25k on the grocery store category, while leaving restaurants and air travel uncapped, even through they're 4x and 3x?
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
You think Amex really cares? They get the same swipe fee either way, and as long as it's not for the purposes of meeting min spend, Amex DGAF about MSing so long as you don't trip any fraud/FR wires. All of my grocery store transactions of $500 VGCs + beer/bananas/bread/etc are coding as 4x. I'm not concerned, but then again I'm not racing to do $25k in spend before year end. But on an annualized basis that's only $2k/month. That's nothing VGC volume wise. I think Amex on a certain level knows people will MS this. I mean why else would they have put a cap of $25k on the grocery store category, while leaving restaurants and air travel uncapped, even through they're 4x and 3x?
Agreed. In fact, while many were happy about the "added benefits" to the refreshed Gold card, I found it interesting to read the comments of a smaller subset of cardholders who consider this card to have reduced their MR earning potential because the grocery spend was capped at $25K per year.

One commenter actually referred to the refresh as "a serious nerf" to the card's benefits.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by 355F1
Another stupid question:

This is my first contactless Card.

What are the exact steps for making this work every time? Why do the machines say “Tap”?

how am I supposed to hold the card to the machine and what is a normal length of time til it reads it?

It doesn’t seem to work everywhere it should and when it does it takes awhile.
Unfortunately this is common. Should be as fast as swiping was, but it rarely is. Theres also poor feedback on most terminals if it is reading your card or not.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
can you pick one airline for your plat card and a different airline for this gold card?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:46 am

So in SF I use an app "Ritual"(Category "Restaurant - Bar & Café") to pick up my lunch. For the first few transactions it did not give me 4x points and I reached out to Amex customer care after my statement closed. Voila...starting this week all my Ritual orders are earning 4x. Not sure who fixed the issue.
mia likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Unfortunately this is common. Should be as fast as swiping was, but it rarely is. Theres also poor feedback on most terminals if it is reading your card or not.
It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of that is intentional, but that's a subject for the EMV/contactless threads in the main CC forum.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:18 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
...pick one airline for your plat card and a different airline for this gold card?
Yes. They are entirely separate.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
That's good to hear.... though I thought I remember hearing a bunch of talk from this site about Amex being the only one that really DID care about MS and actively cracked down on it by shutting down accounts or locking them, etc. Now I don't know what kind of volume that was, but I thought the general advice here was NOT to do any MS with Amex cards, period. (I just question this because again, I don't really think retail cards are MS and with this card having a cap, I figure it might not be focused as heavy compared to other cards)

Edit: Also, you're right about the swipe fee, but what are they charging, 3.5% or so? That's $17.50 on a $500 gift card that earns 4x points... well 2,000 points at $0.014/point would be $28, or a LOSS of $10.50 for Amex on that transaction. I know a lot of you here are also getting more than 1.4c/point value, I was just getting that number from my last Delta transfer/redemption value....
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
What makes you think 1 point = $0.014 to AMEX? AMEX is most likely well under $0.01/pt on average.

Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by jags86
What makes you think 1 point = $0.014 to AMEX? AMEX is most likely well under $0.01/pt on average.

I forgot about that, Amex probably does have a really sweetheart deal with the transfer partners on the miles and stuff.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:04 am

Got a weird email from AMEX. I applied for the PRG maybe a month before the changes were rumored.

Maybe my AF in late 2019 (past the April cutoff) will really be $195?

Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by acarney

I forgot about that, Amex probably does have a really sweetheart deal with the transfer partners on the miles and stuff.
Not only that, how many points are actually transferred versus exchanged for gift cards or statement credit for less than $0.01/pt. Not to mention the billions of points that have likely never been redeemed.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
First time ever using Grubhub. Very simple process, free delivery.....a more easily used benefit than I had anticipated. ^

Last edited by Diplomatico; Nov 19, 2018 at 6:33 am
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
"First time ever using Grubhub. Very simple process, free delivery.....a more easily used benefit than I had anticipated,
...explained all the Millenial posters over the last 5 weeks."

Unfortunately for my waist line my benefit keeps getting used up pretty quickly in the month at the ShakeShack down the street...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.