Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by lsquare
I was just approved for this card and received it. I find it a bit strange that AMEX requires us to enroll for the credit. Just to be sure, I need to call them to enable the $100 airfare credit right? I'm assuming I have to tell the rep that I want to select American Airlines as my preferred airline so that I can then buy the AA giftcard from AA.com?

I'm assuming I get 3x MR on airfare purchased from Hawaiian Airlines' website rather than through Orbitz or Expedia? I don't need to call AMEX to enable my ability to collect 3x MR on airfare purchases?

Thank you.
Yes. Yes. Yes. No.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by liw5215
Happy Thanksgiving!

I had AMEX PRG in 2013, then upgraded to Platinum, eventually closed in 2016. Applied and got approved the PRG again Sept this year, without any bonus. It is before PRG changes to AMEX Gold. Recently Received AMEX GOLD with 50K MR points invitation offer with unique code(has no life time language). Will I get the bonus point if I apply and get approved? Thanks
Yes.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a side note, the local ethnic grocer continues only earning 1x so now I have to remember to use a TD card instead.

While on the outset, the card limits the bonus earnings inside US is a negative, in practice, not a single restaurant we went to on a month long trip with 2 weeks in Hong Kong, 10 days in Australia takes AMEX. Visa and MC yes. One Japanese restaurant actually has a big sign right below the register counter, "3% discount for Cash Payment". Since the TD card earns 3x I just use the TD card. Successfully managed to not having any AUD on us the whole 10 days time, because if you load the traffic cards at government's locations, it only take debit or credit card anyway.
We had 3 days in SoCal, the Chinese restaurants we went to, did not take AMEX either.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:43 pm

LOL he's serious about his sausage!
sorry, meant for earlier post
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Has anyone received the 20% statement credit for restaurant charges yet on new cards? I have received none yet.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:49 pm

DP since my first full October statement closed (a few days ago) and I used the card primarily for restaurants (didn't even attempt to use the card for restaurants in Italy) - MOST of the charges were shown as 4X

The exceptions appear to be (and I believe these would code as 3x on the CSR):
  • Breweries
  • Cafes / Coffee Shops
  • Restaurants that use Square
  • Restaurants that use Toast
I just chatted with a CSR to open an investigation into some legit restaurants didn't code correctly for the 4x...especially when it shows: Category: Restaurant - Restaurant"
Diplomatico and robchow like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by lax01
DP since my first full October statement closed (a few days ago) and I used the card primarily for restaurants (didn't even attempt to use the card for restaurants in Italy) - MOST of the charges were shown as 4X

The exceptions appear to be (and I believe these would code as 3x on the CSR):
  • Breweries
  • Cafes / Coffee Shops
  • Restaurants that use Square
  • Restaurants that use Toast
I just chatted with a CSR to open an investigation into some legit restaurants didn't code correctly for the 4x...especially when it shows: Category: Restaurant - Restaurant"
AMEX is looking into charges for Square on wife's account. CSR said they will call back in a few days on their findings.
lax01 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by robchow
AMEX is looking into charges for Square on wife's account. CSR said they will call back in a few days on their findings.
Did you call in or use the internal online chat? I asked specifically if I would get an update and they said "no, you will have to check back in for the results of the investigation"

Pretty ridiculous that they couldn't match parity with the Chase Sapphire product...
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Did you call in or use the internal online chat? I asked specifically if I would get an update and they said "no, you will have to check back in for the results of the investigation"

Pretty ridiculous that they couldn't match parity with the Chase Sapphire product...
If you've been following the thread (and I know you have) you know that AMEX specifically stated that Square merchants may not code as 4x. You also know that it's primarily because those merchants haven't correctly coded their merchant accounts.

As far as the Chase Sapphire product (and I presume you mean the CSR), I dumped my CSR as soon as the CIP became available. The CIP - by itself - yielded far more UR points in the first year I had it than the CSR would have. The CIP + AMEX Gold will exceed my points earnings by an even greater margin.

I can understand your frustration if you patronize a lot of Square merchants but it was spelled out pretty clearly in the T&C's of the refreshed Gold card.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
If you've been following the thread (and I know you have) you know that AMEX specifically stated that Square merchants may not code as 4x. You also know that it's primarily because those merchants haven't correctly coded their merchant accounts.

As far as the Chase Sapphire product (and I presume you mean the CSR), I dumped my CSR as soon as the CIP became available. The CIP - by itself - yielded far more UR points in the first year I had it than the CSR would have. The CIP + AMEX Gold will exceed my points earnings by an even greater margin.

I can understand your frustration if you patronize a lot of Square merchants but it was spelled out pretty clearly in the T&C's of the refreshed Gold card.
Yeah, I was comparing CSR (which I have also ditched - along with the CIP at this point)....I guess it is just a frustrating user experience to have to double-check and then open an investigation every time it doesn't code as 4x correctly. They say 4x on restaurants...it shouldn't be caveated to hell because merchants don't keep consistent codes. AMEX should be allow more broad filter on the Restaurants codes.
Diplomatico and robchow like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:44 pm

I'm liking this card.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
They say 4x on restaurants...it shouldn't be caveated to hell because merchants don't keep consistent codes.
Additionally, it especially shouldn't be caveat-ed when the MCC is actually restaurant. It's now clear that even when the MCC is restaurant, AMEX will sometimes deny 4x.

This is very poor on AMEX's part because they are trying to have it both ways - i.e., if a merchant isn't MCC'd as a restaurant then AMEX surely won't award 4x, yet still sometimes even when a merchant is MCC'd as a restaurant AMEX will deny 4x. The policy has to be consistent one way or another - either award it when the merchant is MCC'd as a restaurant or when the merchant is actually a restaurant. The inconsistency is nothing more than bad customer service and this has really lowered what has generally been my high opinion of AMEX.
lax01 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gengar
Additionally, it especially shouldn't be caveat-ed when the MCC is actually restaurant. It's now clear that even when the MCC is restaurant, AMEX will sometimes deny 4x.

This is very poor on AMEX's part because they are trying to have it both ways - i.e., if a merchant isn't MCC'd as a restaurant then AMEX surely won't award 4x, yet still sometimes even when a merchant is MCC'd as a restaurant AMEX will deny 4x. The policy has to be consistent one way or another - either award it when the merchant is MCC'd as a restaurant or when the merchant is actually a restaurant. The inconsistency is nothing more than bad customer service and this has really lowered what has generally been my high opinion of AMEX.
Yep. I mean, it's one thing to say that merchants using something separate from their normal POS/terminal (for e.g. mobile wallet acceptance) might not count due to different coding, but it's something else to effectively say they can block the extra points for whatever reason. At least Chase seems to consistently award points when the MCC is correct.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:36 pm

I used the online chat. CSR said will call me in a few days; so far, haven't heard from them.
lax01 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I made a Wiki on a US Supermarkets AmEx thread, but agree that local stores (ethnic, natural) that are not large chains are not going to code as US Supermarket even if nothing looks different on the online account website in terms of categories compared to the large ones (Kroger/Albertsons/etc.). There is some unseen categorization stuff (I don't think it is transactional-specific) that also impact the categories.

On the Square and Toast. First, I find it silly that Square and Toast need to put their prefix on every transaction, but I can blame PayPal for that history. Square happily emails me every time anyway, so I don't need the statement reminder. Just to help for those who give up on AmEx and Square/Toast transactions, it is possible AmEx is doing something different in categorizing these merchant companies compared to others. This is not true for V/MC as all of my Square/Toast "restaurant"/"food truck"/"small business quick service restaurant" transactions match a categorization provided by the merchant (which was restaurant) and earned my Savor MC 4% ok. There was one food truck that chose a catering services (5811), which isn't totally off, but not ideal.

I know we tend to separate V/MC categorizations from AmEx, but this document seems to indicate that AmEx uses them (even though they have some other stuff going on with the groceries and third-party merchant processing as we know).
http://resourcecenter.americanexpres...y%20Codes.ashx Yes, we know that AmEx online does not match this categorization info on its display.

I got hit by a missed AmEx offer because fraud systems stopped my pay at the pump transactions (didn't see the app alert until later), and when I paid inside, I didn't get the required 5542 transaction.

You could open a complaint with AmEx if the MCC is not represented correctly as it is a merchant requirement to categorize properly, but I don't think anything would get fixed.
https://icm.aexp-static.com/Internet...icyOptBlue.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.