Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:27 pm

Any DPs on if credits post for in-restaurant GC-only purchases? Cheesecake Factory (only option) is a bit of a drive for me, so I don't want to make the trip, make our $10 GC purchases, and then come away empty-handed.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
Any DPs on if credits post for in-restaurant GC-only purchases? Cheesecake Factory (only option) is a bit of a drive for me, so I don't want to make the trip, make our $10 GC purchases, and then come away empty-handed.
The credit on the $25 GC posted much later than usual. I dont know it is due to my call to AMEX to complain no 4x on several items or it is just taken longer than usual.

My going forward plan is to drop by once a month - buy a $20 GC on visit one, dine there on visit two, repeat the cycle.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
Does neither GrubHub.com nor Seamless.com cover your area? (GrubHub and Seamless are co-owned and seem to use the same web interface, but they different widely in which parts of the country each covers.)
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Does neither GrubHub.com nor Seamless.com cover your area? (GrubHub and Seamless are co-owned and seem to use the same web interface, but they different widely in which parts of the country each covers.)
Working on other things I completely forgot those were options. A handful of restaurants in our area do participate. Thanks for the reminder.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
This probably should be on wiki and can't find in the thread, is $2000 spend (for bonus) before or after statement credit(s)?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by vincewy
This probably should be on wiki and can't find in the thread, is $2000 spend (for bonus) before or after statement credit(s)?
Spend that is reimbursed by statement credits counts toward MSR; conversely, spend that is credited by returning something for a refund is not.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...and paying the annual fee is not spending for bonus purposes.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:27 am

Can anyone confirm whether purchases at Wegmans are receiving 4x? Obviously they should, but I have a few from over the weekend that don't seem to indicate the bonus, and they are coded as "Merchandise and Supplies" rather than "Supermarkets."
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Spend that is reimbursed by statement credits counts toward MSR; conversely, spend that is credited by returning something for a refund is not.
Great and correct, annual fees and refund/return won't count toward MSR.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:34 pm

Well, using the Online Chat to report issues with AMEX 4x MR issues....just got a call from CSR and they had no information around the issues I reported with some charges.

Moral of the story - call in for 4X MR issues
Happy likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by twkidM3
Pretty sure that AMEX doesn't give a crap about us. They just tell you they will be investigating to brush you off.
Haven't heard back from AMEX about the restaurant/cafe using Square POS system giving 4x. I used chat last time so might need to call in as someone suggested above. The problem is that the card is under wife's name and she doesn't want to call. I instructed her to see what the POS is being used and if Square, use CSR.
lax01 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:03 pm

Previously had the PRG 3 years ago. Any ideas on how to trigger the 50k bonus without the lifetime language about having the PRG before? Is this only possible with a targeted offer?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by chrisdong
....only possible with a targeted offer?
Generally yes, although now there also appear to be some targeted referral offers that do not contain the previous account exclusion.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:14 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by chrisdong
Previously had the PRG 3 years ago. Any ideas on how to trigger the 50k bonus without the lifetime language about having the PRG before? Is this only possible with a targeted offer?
I can't guarantee how generally applicable it is, but I had the PRG before, but put my information into the public New Gold Card application just to see if somehow I'd get around it, and I got the "you've had this card before and won't get the bonus, do you want to continue?" popup. I said I didn't want to continue. A week or so later I received a targeted snail mail offer without the lifetime language, and just recently got the 50K bonus after having signed up using said offer.

It's possible the targeted offer only comes if you meet some other who-knows-what criteria, and also possible my case was just a coincidence, but worth a try going through the regular application and bailing when they say you've had the card before.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Decided to pull the trigger yesterday to get in before Jan. 9 and benefit from the 20% restaurant rebate and hopefully still squeeze in the $100 airline credit before years end. Got the 50k offer and was approved immediately. Will likely replace my EDP with the card as soon as it arrives. EDP renewed at the beginning of December so hopeful if I cancel by months end that I will get a refund of the annual fee. Can anyone confirm if this assumption is correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.