Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:56 am
  #781  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Posts: 191
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Yeah, "LOL!!!!" -- Just ignore all of the other points, because it's so hilarious!!!!

Fruits and veggies from a grocery store aren't that great either... I shop at other places for that.
Well $495-$250 = $245. For $180 (plat and gold) you get 5x airfare, 4x dining, 4x groceries and, if you add the Amex BBP, 2x on everything else. You get best lounge access than any other card, everything you mentioned above except for international acceptance and bonus. Add the CSR and you get everything plus primary car rental insurance and many more... all of $330 (for $85 extra)...

Amex has way better airline partners...

If Iíd pay for hotels often, then I would add the Prestige only for the 2x 4th free night.

But for now, Amex is leading the industry... just get another Visa or Mastercard to complement Amex internationally... I chose the CSR, but it could also be the Prestige.

Edit: not price rewind (but it isnít something that I value)
Javier1704 is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:17 am
  #782  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Posts: 2,035
Originally Posted by Javier1704

Well $495-$250 = $245. For $180 (plat and gold) you get 5x airfare, 4x dining, 4x groceries and, if you add the Amex BBP, 2x on everything else. You get best lounge access than any other card, everything you mentioned above except for international acceptance and bonus. Add the CSR and you get everything plus primary car rental insurance and many more... all of $330 (for $85 extra)...

Amex has way better airline partners...

If Iíd pay for hotels often, then I would add the Prestige only for the 2x 4th free night.

But for now, Amex is leading the industry... just get another Visa or Mastercard to complement Amex internationally... I chose the CSR, but it could also be the Prestige.

Edit: not price rewind (but it isnít something that I value)
While true, those who use Jet Blue and American won't find Delta lounges useful, and those (like myself) who don't go through airports with Centurion lounges, won't find that perk useful either. Soon enough, you'll have to have fly with Delta to be able to use their lounges. So yes, the Plat is nice for travel as well, but I wasn't comparing this card to Plat, I was comparing it to the AMEX Gold, which doesn't have all of those features. I also said the new Prestige is better for travel, i.e: Grubhub credits don't matter to travelers, so that point shouldn't even be in the argument.

The new Prestige will also have 5x on airfare in addition to 5x on dining, and 3x on hotels. Yes, AMEX has better transfer partners, but they both have Jet Blue (one I use frequently, not to mention Cit's transfer ratio is better last I checked)... And really Delta's miles are worthless. You're almost getting the same value just redeeming for cash or through Citi's portal for that and earning your MQM's. I wouldn't say AMEX's partners are "way better" than Citi's either, and at least people who redeem Citi's points for miles don't have to pay a stupid tax, something that makes AMEX look really thrifty.
mikesyr18 is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:52 am
  #783  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Posts: 191
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
So yes, the Plat is nice for travel as well, but I wasn't comparing this card to Plat, I was comparing it to the AMEX Gold, which doesn't have all of those features.
That's like comparing orages to apples. The Prestige is meant to compete with Amex Plat and CSR, not the Gold.

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I also said the new Prestige is better for travel, i.e: Grubhub credits don't matter to travelers, so that point shouldn't even be in the argument.
How often do you travel internationally? I may be out fo the country 4-5 weeks total in one year. Most of my spending is the US. I see this as "gain as many points as you can back home so you can travel internationally for cheap or free". I do a lot of domestic travel where Amex is accepted and bonus categories apply.

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
WThe new Prestige will also have 5x on airfare in addition to 5x on dining, and 3x on hotels. Yes, AMEX has better transfer partners, but they both have Jet Blue (one I use frequently, not to mention Cit's transfer ratio is better last I checked)... And really Delta's miles are worthless. You're almost getting the same value just redeeming for cash or through Citi's portal for that and earning your MQM's. I wouldn't say AMEX's partners are "way better" than Citi's either, and at least people who redeem Citi's points for miles don't have to pay a stupid tax, something that makes AMEX look really thrifty.
That's really good for one card. However, for my type of spending, the Amex ecosystem is better. Honestly, is 3x on hotels better than 4x groceries? I think the 2x on everything else not only equates but surpasses the extra poiint on dining.

I find that redeeming points for Jetblue flights isn't too good... Jetblue flights are cheap and, redeeming points for flights is expensive... come on... Going back home is usually $350 RT or 40,000 TrueBlue points. 60,000 points costs a United or Aeroplan redeem roundtrip to Europe...
Javier1704 is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:06 am
  #784  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Posts: 968
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
People are better off the with new Prestige than this thing if they travel. At least I don't have to worry about Citi complicating the rewards program or having a statement lag on point redemption availability.

$495-$250 towards any travel, 5x on dining worldwide, trip cancellation/interruption protection, TSA precheck reimbursement, 4th night free 2x a year, and price rewind. I'll say no thanks to this card. And really, who cares about a grocery category? Shop at Walmart and save some money rather than a place like Wegmans or Kroger.
I’m in the camp of preferring to earn 4x MR vs 5 TYP, but for everyone YMMV. Also I have an Amex offer for 5x seamless until end of year, which is a large part of my dining spend.

For me, this is a 30 dollar annual fee card as I’ll use the Delta Gift cards (100/year credit) and the monthly seamless deal (120 - almost every restaurant in my neighborhood does pickup on seamless). Throw in the 10% back on 500 in dining sign up promo ($100) and I’ve made 70 first year before even considering the sign up points.

Why is the grocery category great? Besides if you buy a ton of groceries every month (and have no wal mart, like in Manhattan), Gift cards. Whole Foods near me sells amazon gift cards and earn 4x. Amazon is probably the largest portion of my unbonused spend, so I’m now significantly reducing the number of items that earn 1.5x for me (CFU)

I also hold the CSR which I love it’s liberal definition of travel, especially for trains, cabs, Ubers, subways, buses, tours etc. as those do not appear to be covered by the prestige. I travel weekly for work and buy my own trains and spend a ton on cabs, but all airfare and hotels are booked on a corporate travel portal.

CSR + Gold is my go to combo at only 180/annual net fee (along with a Freedom Unlimited and regular freedom).

I know it’s common to hate on skymiles, but delta has near weekly great coach award ticket deals which will benefit some people. And there are some really good deals - check out the award ticket thread in the DL forum. I’ve managed to snag some deals including 80k biz class SIN to NYC, 88k round trip D1 NYC to AMS (special promotion), 50k SIN NRT in D1 and random 10-20k domestic round trips that were 400-500 cash. I like the ability to top off Delta miles in case of a big redemption (although I admit i generate way more delta miles than I can burn). I appreciate having as diverse of a points portfolio as possible, just in case of devaluations. In my view, one big devaluation of SQ's miles and TYP points would be near unusable for me as a transfer currency.

I will say the statement / points lag does suck, which is why I love UR since you know exactly how many points you get on the next statement and can transfer them instantly to United, where I’ve redeemed 100% of the time for saver international business and first
krazykanuck and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by uppereastsider; Oct 30, 2018 at 9:43 am
uppereastsider is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:39 am
  #785  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: PHL, LHR
Posts: 250
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
While true, those who use Jet Blue and American won't find Delta lounges useful, and those (like myself) who don't go through airports with Centurion lounges, won't find that perk useful either.
While the Centurion club is more ideal domestically, the Priority Pass access that the Plat provides is pretty great internationally. Even domestically, some of the PP perks are pretty decent. Recently my wife and I flew AA through Denver and found ourselves pretty hungry on our layover. So instead of hitting up the Admirals Club (where it's mostly rabbit food) we went to the Timberline Steaks/Grille where we received $56 off the bill as part of the Plat PP program. Food and drinks were fine, and the whole meal was basically comped.
PHLondoner is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:56 am
  #786  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BWI
Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 768
Originally Posted by vincewy
Anyone has issue of charging restaurants and not showing up X4 in the statement? This includes charges from GRUBHUB and SEAMLESS and they all show as restaurant category, do they correct the bonus at the end of the statement?
Yes. We ordered from the same restaurant twice, once with Grubhub, once by phone/paid in store.

Grubhub came back as 4x, in-store, while classified as restaurant, came back 1x. It was TST-nameofrestaurant fwiw.
pokeable is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:45 am
  #787  
ymx
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: BDL, BOS
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 638
Originally Posted by mia
Contactless payment worked as expected at Whole Foods Market. (Cashier was astonished. )
i tried my contactless Gold card for the first time at a Whole Foods yesterday but nothing happened. Apple Pay went through without a hitch. Is this common?
ymx is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:49 am
  #788  
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Posts: 49,177
Originally Posted by ymx
[left]

i tried my contactless Gold card for the first time at a Whole Foods yesterday but nothing happened.....
Did you have the back of the card facing the sensor?
mia is online now  
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:24 pm
  #789  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Posts: 588
How soon are people seeing the $10 stmt credit show up? I went to a new Shake Shack about a week ago (stand alone location). So far the $10 stmt has not posted and MR for the transaction is showing only 1 point/$ (my other restaurant/grocery store charges are showing the 4x multiplier)
I Love to Travel is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:26 pm
  #790  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by vincewy
Anyone has issue of charging restaurants and not showing up X4 in the statement? This includes charges from GRUBHUB and SEAMLESS and they all show as restaurant category, do they correct the bonus at the end of the statement?
Yes, I'm seeing the same thing. Statement just closed and usually there's at least a 1 day lag for points to post from the month before (i.e., Sept points just posting but Oct period just closed). There's 4X next to a couple of restaurants but nothing next to 2 restaurants/bars. What are others doing about it? Chat with rep or call in or just eat it?
rccsd is online now  
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:24 pm
  #791  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Posts: 2,035
Originally Posted by Javier1704
That's like comparing orages to apples. The Prestige is meant to compete with Amex Plat and CSR, not the Gold.
I find that redeeming points for Jetblue flights isn't too good... Jetblue flights are cheap and, redeeming points for flights is expensive... come on... Going back home is usually $350 RT or 40,000 TrueBlue points. 60,000 points costs a United or Aeroplan redeem roundtrip to Europe...
There's simply too many quotes directed at me to reasonably reply to everything.

I will say this stuck out, though. I'm not sure what you mean by "redeeming points isn't too good." I usually don't have an issue getting 1.5-2 cpp with Jet Blue. Jet Blue is a good redemption option for those who fly domestically. Of course international first class flights will always have higher mile values.

For example, I can book SYR -> LAX -> SYR for $596.57 or 40,900 miles in coach (1.5 cpp).

I've also heard (never tried) Ethiad is a useful transfer partner to redeem on AA flights (a Citi partner).
mikesyr18 is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:25 pm
  #792  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: L.A.
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 1,135
Not sure if this has been asked but has anyone tried with this card, the $50 airline gift card purchase that works towards the airline credit on the Amex platinum?
alrvd83 is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:52 pm
  #793  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Posts: 968
Originally Posted by alrvd83
Not sure if this has been asked but has anyone tried with this card, the $50 airline gift card purchase that works towards the airline credit on the Amex platinum?
Works exactly like it with Delta at least. Check out the thread reports for your various airlines - people are self reporting results on the Gold. I bought 2 (50) gift cards, originally was one transaction, posted as two separate ones, credits came 3 days later
uppereastsider is offline  
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:17 am
  #794  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: L.A.
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 1,135
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Works exactly like it with Delta at least. Check out the thread reports for your various airlines - people are self reporting results on the Gold. I bought 2 (50) gift cards, originally was one transaction, posted as two separate ones, credits came 3 days later
good to hear! I got approveda week ago for the card now if j would just receive it lol
alrvd83 is offline  
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:11 am
  #795  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,241
Seeing weirdness with the 4x MR on Restaurants...

Most cafes and coffee shops = 1x (for the most part)
Also, this didn't get coded as 4x: TST* WURSTKUCHE - DTLA (but the purchase was made at their bar)

Some bars code as 4x and some do not...seems totally hit or miss and random...not a fan
lax01 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.